PDA

View Full Version : "extra" furniture...yeah right.

wyatt3d
September 11, 2009, 02:41 PM
We had just moved into a new house in a new neigborhood, lots of new construction, in a nice suburb of Houston. Because of the new neigborhood there was lots of traffic in and out, service companies, construction crews, and of course people soliciting any and everykind of business. It was a Saturday about noon so luckily I was home with the wife and kiddo when someone knocked on the door.

I glimpsed out the front window from a hidden vantage-point to see a guy standing there, and a big furniture truck out front, no prob...probably looking for a different house, then I saw his buddy who was knocking on the house across the street look around and then try to open the front door.

The guy at our door walked off and I went to get my .45 and sent the wife and kiddo into the BR. I went to get the phone to call 911 and heard him knocking again.

Feel pretty good about my actions up to this point.

...I tell the wife to stay in the BR and put my .45 in my back pocket, chambered and walk to the door concealing the pistol but with my hand on the grip, ready for quick withdrawl, I open the door a few inches and the guy instantly acts very nervous and gives me some story about "we came down from North Carolina to deliver some furniture but its the wrong stuff and our boss said to try to sell it rather than bring it back" I tolk him I wasn't interested and he left pretty quick. I called 911 and reported that there were some guys trying to sell furniture door to door and that I witnessed one of them try to open the front door of the house across the street and they said they would send a unit out.

Don't know what happened after that, but in hindsight...

What's the best way to handle sketchy looking people that knock on your door?
I want them to know we are there so they will leave but don't think it's a good idea to open the door to a potential threat.

Any critiques or suggestions welcomed.
Thanks.

(btw, first post, love the sight)

rantingredneck
September 11, 2009, 02:49 PM
1) Ask them through the door what they want. Then tell them to leave.
2) Do you have a storm door? Not much of a barrier to a bullet, but neither is the front door you already have. It does however stop someone from charging through when you open the main door.
3) Chain or bar latch that allows you to open it a few inches, but still gives some level of security. Make sure anything you use here is installed with very long screws that get all the way into the door framing. Still not terribly secure.
4) If nothing else, block the edge of the door with your foot. If he tries to force through it will break his momentum and allow you time to react.

Skans
September 11, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think you handled it just fine. I would have probably done the exact same thing you did.

CMDrew6115
September 11, 2009, 02:52 PM
Having never been in any sketchy situations, I'd say your reaction worked fine. You were prepared to defend yourself quickly if it was necessary, but you didn't threaten the guy had his intentions been honest. You alerted the police to suspicious activities and protected your family. The only thing I would have done differently was to make sure that my wife in the bedroom also had a firearm on her just in case the BG got through me. But its good to see no one was hurt and if their intentions were anything other than legal then hopefully you calling the police solved this.

bababooey32
September 11, 2009, 03:18 PM
I bought some pieces of furniture from some similar guys once. At first we were skeptical, but when we told him we weren't interested because he only had one table, and we wanted two - he said he would be back in a few months and would bring the two matching tables back (no "deposit" required). I thought we'd never see them again. Sure enough, about 3 months lsater he called and delivered the tables for the agreed upon price. Worked quite nicely!

I honestly don't know the whole story, but I find it hard to belive the stuff was stolen if he was able to go back and hand select individual pieces for me....

wally626
September 11, 2009, 03:56 PM
I live in a new subdivision and we had some guys drive up with a semi-trailer full of furniture to sell. We did not buy any but my wife and a couple of the neighbors wives had a look. Not sure what the deal is. Are they just picking up factory left overs and selling them? Seems like a tough way to make a living, but they must do well enough to keep doing it.

comn-cents
September 11, 2009, 04:03 PM
Only thing that I would have done different is not open the door. I'd talk through the door as rantingredneck stated above. O and with my growling and barking dog getting to the door before me I probably wouldn't have even seen the guy.

wyatt3d
September 11, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'm always pretty cautious about opening the door to people like that, but honestly I wouldn't have though much about it and subsequently raised my alert level, had I not seen his buddy try to open the door across the street.

kalstrand
September 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
Perhaps they are selling showcase furniture. You know the stuff they set up in a house to make it look more attractive during an open house. Maybe its more profitable for the furniture store to sell them at a lower price than have to restock them in the store. That would also explain how they could get a matching table. I don't know if anyone actually does this but I guess it could be a possibility.

markj
September 11, 2009, 04:18 PM
If I had a dime for every salesman I run off.......

comn-cents
September 11, 2009, 04:31 PM
One last note from me. Chain's on door don't work. A little push and they rip right off. Atleast that is my experience.

serf 'rett
September 11, 2009, 04:45 PM
I do not like only a door (closed or cracked open) and three foot space between me and the unknown. It is likely considered a "no-no" to go outside, but the way I've handled a few similar situations is to quickly and quietly slip out another door around the corner from the door with the “visitor”; a nice benefit of an open carport is that I have two entry/exit doors at 90 degrees to each other. It allows me to approach from their flank, at a distance of 20 plus feet, and ask them if I can help them. If something goes down, I’m one step backwards into cover provided by the corner of the building, the distance should give me a little more leeway for appropriate action and the distance should also work in my favor since primarily I train at shooting distances of 50 to 75 feet. If BG gets in a lucky shot (I assume the BG doesn’t train because training is a close cousin to working and working is anathema to a standard BG), then the wife is behind locked doors preparing to welcome the “visitor” with a introduction to one of our other family members, Mr. Eight Seventy Remington.
Day time tactic, but might could use at night by lighting up visitor and leaving my approach area dark.

Dwight55
September 11, 2009, 05:01 PM
I don't have it installed yet, . . . but due to our ages, etc., . . . I am getting ready to put an intercom in for the front door, . . . along with a camera and TV.

The intercom will allow us to "answer" the door, . . . yet not be seen, . . . and yet be able to "communicate" with the folks on the front porch. The camera will do fine for both day and night time observation, . . . as I plan to use an IR camera.

With all the home invasions & breakins occuring lately, . . . I think it is only prudent.

May God bless,
Dwight

Trashcan-man
September 11, 2009, 05:37 PM
We have these guys in N Florida too. Had an officer check out with them and they appear pretty legit. I think they do this when they have a delivery to make and don't want to drive down with an empty trailer, they load it completely and then sell the rest off door to door. It's better than them living on welfare....still a good idea to be cautious, ya never know who they really are.

KingEdward
September 11, 2009, 05:56 PM
if there is a stranger at the door then I always shout (not scream but shout)

"State your full name, and state your business here"

about 2 in 10 answer correctly or understand english well enough to give some kind of answer.

the rest look around and leave.

Crosshair
September 11, 2009, 07:25 PM
One last note from me. Chain's on door don't work. A little push and they rip right off. Atleast that is my experience.
That's why you need the long screws as mentioned earlier. You also need to make sure your door is sturdy enough too.

comn-cents
September 11, 2009, 07:35 PM
Crosshair
I still don't think they will take a good kick or shoulder. Heck most dead bolts don't work worth a darn. I just keep my door closed in hopes that if I'm behind it I can help the dead bolt work with my trusty Black & Decker .45.

bcarver
September 11, 2009, 07:56 PM
I wait with my weapon until they kick the door in.
So far they just walk away.

jgcoastie
September 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
stay silent
I wait with my weapon until they kick the door in.
So far they just walk away.

In Jackson these days... That's not a bad idea...

(I grew up in Kosciusko, spent a good amount of time in the Clinton/Jackson/Brandon area as a lad chasing skirts. Some parts of the area have definitely taken a turn for the worse over the years.)

m&p45acp10+1
September 11, 2009, 08:38 PM
A couple of the small rental/lease stores here do that when they have stuff that someone paid enough to cover thier cost yet did not pay it off. They do not have the space left in the store to put it back on the floor so they will try to sell it making a straight profit off of what they sell. I bought a nice leather couch and love seat for $200 last year that way.

essohbe
September 11, 2009, 11:33 PM
Yell through the door " I have a gun and it doesn't like visitors. What do you want? " He'll either leave or state his purpose for being there if it is imortant/emergency.

Be creative.

Wuchak
September 11, 2009, 11:53 PM
The previous owner of my house put a nice "No Soliciting" sign under the doorbell. I've had a couple of people doing door to door sales walk up on my porch, see the sign, and turn-around and leave.

We have a window by the door and a chest with a cushion on top of it. My 85lb Belgian Sheepdog stands on that and can look whoever is at the door in the eye. I think having here there barking and showing here teeth might have helped convince them to go elsewhere. The first week we got her (she was a 14 month old rescue) she did that when some Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door. They looked at her and turned around. She got a cookie for that performance.

Casimer
September 12, 2009, 01:16 AM
FWIW the old "I'm selling unclaimed/reneged/incorrect inventory" pitch is almost always a ruse. My dad was a sales rep for a furniture company. They don't actually allow the shippers to sell their returned inventory. It goes back to the factory so that it can be assessed and the account can be reconciled. What these guys are typically selling is gray market a/o off-brand items.

But the people who sell this stuff can be pretty shady. I wouldn't surprised if some of them were up for burglary, given the opportunity.

Uncle Buck
September 12, 2009, 07:46 AM
The only thing I would add to what you should do, is:

Tell your neighbors. Let them know what you did and that you called the police because you saw the guy try the door knob. That will raise situational awareness and hopefully your neighbors will look out for your property also.

We had a similar case here in which a couple of door to door vacuum cleaner folks were going around to different houses. They left flyer's (Very unprofessional looking) at each house, but there was no phone number to call them back at nor a web site listed on the flyer's.
My mother was sitting on her porch and witness this guy peeking in the windows of the neighbors house, while another guy was knocking on the door.
I walked to the driveway where they were parked and wrote their license plate number (an out of state vehicle) down and mom called 911.
The sheriff arrived and everything got sorted out. They did have one vacuum cleaner and appeared legit, but the sheriff noted that between these vacuum cleaner folks and the folks that go door to door selling meat, the house break-ins seem to increase when they are around.

Also, has anyone noticed when you put a shirt and tie on a tattooed gang member, he/she still looks like a gang member wearing a shirt and tie? I wish these companies would find better representatives to sell their products.

JED1177
September 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
I would have retreated to the safety of bedroom with the kids and had the wife answer the door......she is capable of talking them to DEATH!

A_McDougal
September 15, 2009, 01:15 PM
In theory, No Trespassing and No Soliciting signs should work.
But you won't be surprised to hear that many door-to-door folks don't know what either sign means.

R1145
September 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
Broad daylight in your neighborhood, no overt illegal behavior observed, but "hinky" enough to make you feel uneasy. Probably nothing, but definitely worth checking out.

Arm self, cautiously investigate, report to PD...

The only additional thing would have been to note the license plate number, if you felt safe doing so. Providing that information to the cops when they showed up would be very helpful for their investigation.

I think opening the door to strangers, in general, should be avoided. Remember the old front doors with the little window instead of the peephole...?

G-man 26
September 15, 2009, 02:29 PM
The only thing you did that I would do differently is the whole "go and get my gun" part. I keep mine in my back pocket, or IWB around the house all the time. If that guy had knocked, tried, and kicked the door in, you would have been off looking for your gun.

Other than that, everyone else has been spot on with reenforcing the door. I also like the intercom idea if you have the funds for such a thing. We have steel screen doors from back in the 1950's or some time. Strong, and heavy as all heck. You could get through them, but I will have better than my G-26 by the time you do. Like the local P.D. For starters. Lol.

Mr. Davis
September 20, 2009, 09:01 PM
I think you were right to answer the door. Since you were armed, and had witnessed the guy try to open the door across the street, the "act like you're not home" method isn't preferred. Some folks' MO is to knock a couple times, then kick the door in, assuming nobody's home.

I have a rule: If they knock on your door, or call you on the phone, you don't want it.

That's the truth - any product worth its muster is good enough for you to seek out yourself. Don't buy meat, furniture, magazines, cleaning products, sunrooms, or anything else door to door, under any circumstances.

There is an exception to every rule: Girl Scout Cookies :D

wyatt3d
September 21, 2009, 02:55 PM
good points on the getting the license plates and telling the wife to arm herself. I actually hadn't even thought of either of those!!!

Mr. Davis Since I saw the guy try the door across the street that is exactly what I was thinking, that if I didn't answer he might try to break in.

I think if it was odd hours it would be a case for yelling at them through the door. I really like the intercom system idea though.

Thanks for all the input.

FireForged
September 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
If I feel something isnt right... enough so that I retrieve a weapon and send my family to the BR. I am not going to open the door to anyone.
To get to the point.. I see no fault in what you did but if it were me, I would not have answered the door. I would have reported the guys as acting suspicious and left it at that. If the bag-guys decided to break in because I didnt answer, I would defend myself.

GSDs
September 26, 2009, 01:23 AM
Never open the door to a stranger.

jgcoastie
September 26, 2009, 01:46 AM
STRANGER DANGER!!! STRANGER DANGER!!! STRANGER DANGER!!!

:p

Freedom-First
September 26, 2009, 05:35 AM
Is it me or are we bordering on paranoia?

How about just a NO TRESPASSING sign and an electric fence? That'll keep everyone away.

Other things you can try when someone rings your doorbell-
Fire a few warning shots (inside your home of course)
Hire Ninja's to hide in the bushes
Build a quick sand pit under the door mat
Get a Dog (a big one)

:D

furnman
September 28, 2009, 12:04 AM
yep they always hang around your doorway and ask for something. I don't think your not being generous when you don't give something it's just that they don't understand your situation. I think the best thing that we must do is to explain to them why we cannot help. It would be fair enough.

besafe2
September 28, 2009, 10:22 AM
IMO, you did fine except I would've talked through the door.

ilbob
September 28, 2009, 01:25 PM
I live in a new subdivision and we had some guys drive up with a semi-trailer full of furniture to sell. We did not buy any but my wife and a couple of the neighbors wives had a look. Not sure what the deal is. Are they just picking up factory left overs and selling them? Seems like a tough way to make a living, but they must do well enough to keep doing it.
Its a common scam. Sometimes it is steaks or seafood, but it is always a scam and always substandard merchandise. but people think they are getting a deal so they bite.

DeathRodent
October 18, 2009, 02:26 AM
I would do exactly what you did but with a S&W 649.

As a matter of fact I did just that on Moday night around 8pm when a young man knocked on our front door - and I have a 3.5 ft fence around my front yard with a locked gate!

He said he was trying to win some contest and did I like magazines. I told him I wouldn't buy any magazines while I had my hand on the .38 behind my leg.

When he left he had to hop over the locked gate - interesting thing was he put one hand on the gate and one foot on a stone post next to it to hop over...and there wasn't anything in either of his hands!

I wonder how he was going to write down my magazine order?

Our front light is broken and I think he was just checking to see if anyone was home. I don't think he would push his way in but if we would have stayed quiet I bet my front door would have been kicked in.

JohnH1963
October 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
If you are really worried about this type of scenario, then get a security screen door with a deadbolt.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=security+screen+door&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

This will provide better security for answering the door. The person at the front door could easily say he is here to check the meter or mis-represent himself causing you to open the door.

Opening the door would make you give up cover in any event with or without a security screen door.

One effective tactic is to have a loud stereo near the door. When the doorbell rings then play a CD of a dog barking. A dog usually scares away would be burglars.

http://www.soundtherapyworld.com/Barking_dog_p/cd-bd.htm

JohnH1963
October 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
I wanted to add to this thread. If you are going to send your family to a place of cover, make sure they are armed. If you don't trust them with a firearm or simply do not have an extra weapon, have a stash of baseball bats somewhere.

You are basically the point man. If they get past you, then they will get to your family.

Lets say, for example, a 7 year old kid. You probably cannot hand him a revolver, but you can give him a baseball bat. If you have a woman and 2 kids all armed with bats, they have better odds then with nothing at all.

cycleguru
October 19, 2009, 03:37 PM
Wow. Reading all these makes me really thankful that I live where I do. I live in a tiny town in rural OR. In the 33 years that I've been here we've had about 3 murders, a handful of rapes, and the VERY occational burglery. The only gunfire I ever hear (other than when I'm shooting) is from the hills around town during deer or elk season.

I'm not naive enough, though, to think that bad stuff will never happen. I have a CC license and carry most of the time (not usually inside my house though). I also have a pump 12ga. mounted in a place where I can get it quick if I were ever to need it. My wife isn't a shooter and doesn't really like guns, but I've taken her out to my shooting spot and made her fam fire my guns so she at least knows what they feel like.

I'm new to TFL but am really enjoying it and am learning a lot from all you folks.

cycleguru
October 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
Wow. Reading all these makes me really thankful that I live where I do. I live in a tiny town in rural OR. In the 33 years that I've been here we've had about 3 murders, a handful of rapes, and the VERY occational burglery. The only gunfire I ever hear (other than when I'm shooting) is from the hills around town during deer or elk season.

I'm not naive enough, though, to think that bad stuff will never happen. I have a CC license and carry most of the time (not usually inside my house though). I also have a pump 12ga. mounted in a place where I can get it quick if I were ever to need it. My wife isn't a shooter and doesn't really like guns, but I've taken her out to my shooting spot and made her fam fire my guns so she at least knows what they feel like.

I'm new to TFL but am really enjoying it and am learning a lot from all you folks.

jakeg823
October 19, 2009, 08:40 PM
In Jackson these days... That's not a bad idea...

(I grew up in Kosciusko, spent a good amount of time in the Clinton/Jackson/Brandon area as a lad chasing skirts. Some parts of the area have definitely taken a turn for the worse over the years.)

i'm from the florence/richland area, florence isnt bad but richland is steadily getting so trashy i dont trust it...florence is still pretty much mayberry

jackson on the other hand..........i dont go into jackson w/o at least my judge w/in a midget's arms reach

however! i'm in hattiesburg attending USM now, its getting nuts down here! i just turned 21 in august so i'm bout to get my ccp as soon as the cash comes up, and get my ccw at the same time hopefully

si vis pacem, para b
October 19, 2009, 10:02 PM
I used to sell door to door. It was the hardest job I ever held. I now own my own business and attribute a lot of my success to things I learned while doing that. That being said I always answer the door to solicitors. I let my wife know so she is on alert. I am on alert, because I am always on alert. It may not be the wisest thing to do, but most of them are just trying to make an honest living.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

markj
October 20, 2009, 02:15 PM
I just re read the original post, this was Saturday at noon?

Dont anyone have folks just drop by and knock at the door wondering what you are up too?

minniedog2
October 20, 2009, 06:06 PM
I never met a door to door salesman that was not overpriced or selling a gimmick.

wyatt3d
October 21, 2009, 09:28 AM
markjI just re read the original post, this was Saturday at noon?

Dont anyone have folks just drop by and knock at the door wondering what you are up too?

Did you read it all? I didn't get to the door right away, when I looked outside I saw his buddy trying to open the door on the house across the street. The original "salesman" then returned a few minutes later to knock on my door after I didn't answer the first time. I became suspicious after I saw one of the men try to enter a house illegally.

OHW
October 21, 2009, 11:52 AM
In my "hood" this scam has gone on for more than 20 years. Firsrt is was stereo speakers later patio furniture. Faux quality and grey market items is correct. The sales err delievery drivers are typically ex-cons.

How do I know? When I was down and ot I applied for every job available. One being electronics wharehouse. When I got there , I was met by Conmen operating a tiny wharehouse that manufactured highend speakers. By no means were they any name brand. This operation supposedly had 50 or working there already in a 20' by 50' wharehouse. The scam was you were to wharehouse speakers in your vehicle and go to parking lots or door to door if you dared. You sell you pay for the merch you stored.There was no business license to do this of course. Several unsavory employees showed up to get merch. They were high on something, had no education and looked like scum. The Conman then informs me these guys are good sellers (of what?) and that they are good cons that need a second chance.In fact most of his so called wharehouse workers were in fact ex-cons. I took my leave and chances on the next interveiw.

Over the yeears I have seen these ex-cons hawking wares in gas station ,grocery store, beach and every parking lot imaginable. Even door to door in Apartment complexs.

At some point a roommate came home with this parking lot deal. Those speakers bought for way too much, after he never had a chance to hear them, had no warrenty or sales reciept lasted less than a year before breaking.

On the door answering, I never open the door. I will shout through it. If they can't state their business through it , then they just are looking for you to open it.

XD Gunner
October 21, 2009, 01:56 PM
How about just a NO TRESPASSING sign and an electric fence? That'll keep everyone away.

Tried it, some people are just so stupid that they will actually grab the fence to step over it.