PDA

View Full Version : Carcano Bolts Exchangeable?

kenshi4lyfe
September 11, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hi guys,

Is the Carcano 6.5mm bolt exchangeable with a 7.35mm bolt? Thanks

Mike Irwin
September 11, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK that the answer is no.

Not sure why you'd want to do that?

kenshi4lyfe
September 11, 2009, 10:16 AM
Well, I want to keep my bolt, which is in a 6.5 barreled rifle, and buy a 7.35mm barreled rifle. Just a thought, that's all. Both rounds have the same base diameter and thickness, so I wondering if the 6.5 bolt could hold the 7.35 round.

James K
September 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yes, with the normal caution about checking headspace or firing the first round with the rifle tied down. The rifles are the same and the 7.35mm actually has the same pressure as the 6.5; the idea was just to get a bigger bullet. Further, the Carcano is a stronger rifle than most folks think.

FWIW, some Carcano carbines were rebarrelled and reworked by the Germans in the last days of the "Thousand Year Reich" to fire the standard German 7.9 (8mm Mauser) round. I have fired one with German GI ball, and had no problems (except a sore shoulder!).

Jim

Scorch
September 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
I am fairly sure the answer to your original question is yes, the bolts will interchange, but not necessarily fit properly. As to why you would want to do that, it's a mystery to me. Bolts are not meant to be switched between rifles.

If you are thinking of trading your 6.5X52mm (6.5mm Carcano, 6.5mm M1891 Italian service rifle) for a 7.35X52mm (7.35mm Terni, 7.35mm M1936), keep in mind that ammo for the 7.35 is about as common as honest politicians. I imagine maybe, possibly, there is still some surplus ammo floating around. Bullets for reloading have not been available for many years, and casting/loading/shooting cast bullets is really not all that much fun.

Mike Irwin
September 11, 2009, 02:39 PM
I thought the 7.35mm round used a larger diameter case head...

Hey what do you know, .002 difference in diameter, essentially meaningless.

Never mind!

TEDDY
September 19, 2009, 06:51 PM
grafs is supposed to have it now.same case different bullet.Jim gave you the answer.same clips I have both.

James K
September 19, 2009, 09:15 PM
The trouble with ammo measurements, either from books or by actual measuring, is that they usually are based on one specimen and rarely take tolerances into account.

Jim

CGSteve8718
September 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
Both Grafs and J&G Sales are supposed to have 7.35 in stock. I know that JG is surplus but not sure what Grafs has.

With that said, the very knowledgeable folks over at surplusrifleforum caution using surplus 7.35 ammo due to expedited manufacturing.

I was actually thinking about trying some myself, I mean I've been lucky with using Paki .303 all this time...:o