PDA

View Full Version : 1917 Colt 45 Revoler.

Dinger
September 7, 2009, 02:42 PM
I was given a 1917 US Army Colt 45 revolver years ago. I have tried several times to try and find one similar on line but was not successful!! The gun is in great condition! Bluing is about 98%, the grips are original with no nick or dings in them. All markings and mubers match and are very visable! The cilindar is boured and in great condition also! My problem is it has an 8" barrel and every one i have found has a 5.5" barrel. I trying to see if I have a unique gun and mybe a ballpark guess on its value. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dinger

Scorch
September 8, 2009, 12:27 PM
All 1917 revolvers, whether made by Colt or S&W, had 5.5" barrels. That was the design specification. Yours has probably been rebarreled, not uncommon since the revolvers were sold as surplus for ridiculously low prices and people used to screw longer barrels onto them.

The fact that the bluing is that good and the grips have no nicks on them would tell me it has probably been refinished and has newer grips.

nw5052001
September 13, 2009, 02:07 AM
are you sure its 8" barrel and not 71/2". im pretty sure they could have come with 7 1/2" also. most colts did, im no expert but i been doing alot of search since i inherited this 1847 1st generation single action :).
if it was given to you FREE! then what a deal. how much do you want for it?
is it a colt for sure or a replica?
give me the details i will find it for you
is U.S stamped on it?