PDA

View Full Version : #12 bird shot

vts
September 7, 2009, 09:13 AM
I am curious about #12 bird shot, what are they good fore?
Humming birds and bee's?
And where can I get some?

B.L.E.
September 7, 2009, 10:02 AM
I think that's what is loaded in .22 rimfire shotshells. Good for killing rats in the barn so it's often called ratshot.

xm21
September 7, 2009, 12:02 PM
The Sportsmans Guide sells Rio shells with number 12 shot.

zippy13
September 7, 2009, 12:16 PM
There are specialized loads for those going after birds for taxonomy collections, and they want to minimize the damage to the specimens. No. 12 (and smaller) shot can be used in these applications.

oneounceload
September 7, 2009, 01:39 PM
As mentioned above - they are what come in .22 shotshells. I have some CCI ones that would work on a snake IF it was close.....:D

Russ5924
September 7, 2009, 02:28 PM
For making your own .357 snake loads:)

mwar410
September 7, 2009, 02:36 PM
Remington made a little smooth bore .22, And they use to shoot little tiny clays. All I can remember was little skeeter.

oregon-john
September 7, 2009, 02:38 PM
I would think that it would have a very short effective kill range.

cbm1948
September 7, 2009, 02:57 PM
MWAR410: Winchester made a model 61,22 pump, in smooth bore for gallery shooting. I have actually shot one trying to help reduce a colony of carpenter bumble bees attacking a wooden shed. Hellva lot of fun. Remington produced a model 572 smooth in 22 LR.

Clint

TYM2MOTR
September 7, 2009, 04:35 PM
Federal makes a #12 shot 22 LR which I prefer over the CCI as it's crimped brass instead of having a plastic cap and I can cycle it safely in my Henry lever. CCI also makes a #12 shot 9mm Luger round (2x payload), I have tried it in my 995, better than the 22 but it has to be hand fed. My favorite short distance, small shot shell round is the #9 shot CCI 45 Colt that I use in a NEF Survivor. Even though it's rifled it also has a choke...great yard / garden round.

Don't underestimate the 22LR #12 shot, I have dispatched trapped nuisance Raccoons with them where I was worried about possible over penetration / ricochets...(i.e., in my attic)

armsmaster270
September 7, 2009, 05:29 PM
I bought 10 pounds of #12 shot and use it for .38/.357 and .44 cal snake loads with the CCI Shotholders.

olddrum1
September 8, 2009, 12:16 AM
My guess that its not to good for humming birds. With what the fine and time would equal, you could have bought a ton of 9 shot for that one shot.

vts
September 8, 2009, 07:24 AM
Olddrum1 is right that it would not be advisable to shoot a humming bird, unless it was a case of DLP.

Thank you for all your help. Will look for Rio shells

csmsss
September 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
Y'all seem to be dismissive of the threat that hummingbirds pose to well-meaning folk. I myself was set upon by a dozen or more of these fearsome creatures whilst carving a fourth of July watermelon, and barely escaped with my life, surrendering the succulent treat in the process to their ruthless assaults. I'll never forget the panic I felt in the face of their brutality.

vts
September 8, 2009, 07:21 PM
Csmsss
The treat of Hummingbirds is a well documented fact, take a look at these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4iz7cc8GiE

This video was found near the humming bird feeder, the two people are still missing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSIZY9u1Uw8&feature=related

This video was shoot from a Humming bird cage by a professional. Imagine a swarm of them attacking you and your family.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cy22Qkf474&feature=related

This might be the best defense we have against them, loaded with #12 bird shot.
http://www.defensereview.com/auto-assault-12-full-auto-shotgun-gets-urban-camouflage-treatment-pic/

oneounceload
September 8, 2009, 07:44 PM
12 shot also makes a great shotshell for dispatching giant moths that like to congregate near big lights. We used to have moth-shoots interrupt our weekly night league at times. Amazing how resilient those suckers are

zippy13
September 8, 2009, 08:41 PM
oneounceload

What do you keep for back-up in the event you run across an aggressive, baddass moth with an attitude who just laughs at your #12s? ;)

oneounceload
September 8, 2009, 08:57 PM
Why either a 3" shell full of number 2's or your typical 1-1/4 oz 3-3/4 DE pigeon load of course! It truly was amazing how some of those suckers didn't die from the muzzle blast and concussion, they were that close.....:eek::D

george_etta
April 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
.22's something about routledge bored . .22 to a say .50 cal smooth bore . I think 1950's . I saw a guy pop a milk carton when i was 12 with .22lr shotcartridge ..might've killed mouse or rat maybe -indoors or cornered ..or raiding starlings or nests around house -you might "scare" vermin but snake ? ..timber rattlers are big and you'd want a 357 load at least -and time to draw and shoot vs snake ?? (in ny illegal -and reptiles don't die fast ..it was a 10'-15' shot idea ..shooting in rifling i think lead streaks into the rifling making a mess requiring much cleaning . I loaded my 22 rev. With shot when working in attic, had it well lit [protection against bats] ..if 1'd come near i was going to pop it ..having went thru rabies shots before ..not again if i can help it and if they brush asgainst you ..it's shots city for a month !

When i was a kid unc and chums got rattlers sunday morn ..5 bucks a head (state bounty) rattle was proof . Timber rattlers, ..they were shot in head for snake oil -only the head, shot thru body ruined the batch they were boiled i think for arthritis meds ..snake oil . Family up split rock supposedly the youngest kid got a .410 (probably 6's those days) and had to take head shots or else no supper . Do not try this at home you may get a rash or worse !

I have ithaca skb 20 ga split stock woes .

george_etta
April 10, 2011, 12:02 PM