PDA

View Full Version : Forged v. Cast frames and slides, how can you tell?

Skans
September 2, 2009, 12:13 PM
How can you tell what guns have a forged frame and/or slide? I don't want to turn this into a ##### is better than ******* discussion. I personally prefer buying all forged guns, if given the choice. And, since the manufacturer doesn't typically disclose this information in the stats on any particular gun, I was wondering if there is any way to look at a gun and determine if it is cast or forged?

hdawson228
September 2, 2009, 12:43 PM
I think most really reputable manufactures are only too happy to answer your question if you just call them and ask. I know Springfield Armory states on their website that their 1911s steel frames and slides are hammer forged.:cool:

ChicagoTex
September 2, 2009, 12:45 PM
sometimes you can spot a cast piece by finding an impurity like a bubble or line, likewise you can sometimes identify a forged piece by tooling/machining marks on it.

In both cases, if they are quality pieces these clues will be difficult, if not impossible, to spot.

If it's really important to you, you just gotta do your research ahead of time.

P.S. except when made of pot metal (as with the Walther P22, SIG Mosqutio, and countless guns so crappy they barely warrant mentioning) slides are almost always forged, even if the frames are not.

peejman
September 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
The best way is to cut it in half and look at the cross-section under magnification. But that's probably not the answer you're looking for.

You might be able to see very small areas where surface porosity will show up that would indicate that particular component is cast. Inside corners or edges would be most likely to show some porosity, though any coatings may cover it up. Some parts may have parting lines where die halves separate, though I'd expect those would be removed after casting.

ChicagoTex
September 2, 2009, 01:00 PM
Some parts may have parting lines where die halves separate, though I'd expect those would be removed after casting.

Depends on the manufacturer. Some lower-priced brands *cough*Hi-PointandBersa*cough**cough* don't bother.

Anyone good will remove them though.

RickB
September 2, 2009, 01:09 PM
It can be hard to tell. I bought a gun because advertising said it was forged, and the only gun of its kind that's not cast. A few years later, I start seeing references to the older forged models and the newer cast ones. The company is still saying they're forged, but others list the features that distinguish cast from forged variants. I start poking around my gun, especially inside the magwell, and find all the evidence that the frame is indeed a casting. The whole point of casting is to make the part cheaper, so it's rare that all evidence of casting will be removed, due to the expense of doing so.

Skans
September 2, 2009, 03:30 PM
Good advice on looking at the inside of the magwell - I haden't thought of that. Should have, but didn't. You know what I'll be doing tonight, don't you...

Dobe
September 2, 2009, 03:48 PM
What I am about to tell you is NOT applicable with all cast guns, but with some. Some cast frames have soft edges. Look at a CZ 75B, and you'll see what I mean. The edges are not as sharply defined; better defined cast jobs are different.