PDA

View Full Version : 1911 recoil springs

Ike1371
August 27, 2009, 05:56 PM
How much effect will changing the recoil spring in my 1911 from 16# to a 17 or 18 # spring have on the pistol? Will that help tame some recoil? I also have some +P SD ammo that I would like to try out also. Can anyone explain the effects of upping the recoil spring?

madmag
August 27, 2009, 06:11 PM
In general.

Most 1911's will go up to the #18 rate and still work with standard loadings. But your ejecting distance will probably get less. Recoil may be a little less with higher rate springs, but I have never been able to tell a big difference. Some even go higher than #18 when shooting lots of +P stuff.

Ejection distance is a good test and all 1911's are a little different. I like at least 6 ft. or so distance.

I like the Wolff variable rate springs. I am presently using a #17.5 variable rate spring.

You can purchase spring kits with several spring ratings and simply try each one to find the best operation.

Many feel (including me) that you should use the highest rating spring that still allows good operation and ejection distance. Also, higher spring ratings tend to help with any feeding issues.

MEATSAW
August 27, 2009, 06:34 PM
My S&W1911PD came stock with 16# springs. I noticed that my brass was ejecting with a lot of force and was going quite a long ways, it was also somewhat irregular. So I put in a Wolff 18.5# spring in and it really helped. Now brass goes 5 or so feet and usually is all in the same area. Recoil is tad bit lighter. Keep in mind though, that the higher the poundage of your recoil spring the harder the slide is going to be coming back into battery so unnecessarily heavy recoil springs will beat up your frame more.

drail
August 27, 2009, 06:46 PM
If this is a .45 ACP I would not go higher than a 17 lb recoil spring. To slow the slide down you can install a full power mainspring under the hammer or install the EGW square bottom firing pin stop. Both of these will retard slide opening without increasing slide closing speed and force. If you really must shoot heavy loads in a 1911 consider the above two mods and a shock buff. 1911s were designed for the standard velocity .45 ACP cartridge and while it will function with heavier loads you will shorten its service life if you do it long enough.

madmag
August 27, 2009, 07:20 PM
I also have some +P SD ammo that I would like to try out also.

Your choice, but I have just never felt the need for +P in my .45ACP's. You can get loadings that will get you to about the 400 ft. lb range without going to +P stuff. Now for 9mm I do use +P.

wjkuleck
August 27, 2009, 07:26 PM
+1 for derail. 14-16 lb main, EGW small/no radius FPS, 23 pound mainspring.

Regards,

Walt

45Gunner
August 27, 2009, 07:40 PM
Guys, I'm not an expert but I just read a very long and involved article about changing the tension on the recoil spring of the 1911. Each manufacturer designs his gun just a little different and the weapon feeds and cycles like a finely tuned instrument. Changing the recoil spring in certain 1911's could cause a host of feed and extraction problems. I think I found that article at www.brownells.com but I can't swear to it. I'll try to find it and post the link here.

This is not the one but it is interesting...still searching: http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/1911recoilspring.html

Another good article: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

wjkuleck
August 27, 2009, 07:49 PM
The above recommendation is not mine, it is from John Browning. The original design of the 1911 calls for 14*/23/small-radius FPS. If a manufacturer has altered the 1911 so much that the standard JMB setup doesn't work, I'll pass on those pistols.

Regards,

Walt
*Actually, per Niemi24 and 1911Tuner, there never has been a standard "pound" rating for the springs. The springs are spec'd on the basis of wire diameter and number of turns. When tested, in-spec springs generally fall in the 14/23 range.

madmag
August 27, 2009, 08:35 PM
Changing & testing recoil springs is one of the easier things to do on a 1911. Not a big deal. Just find one that gives good ejection distance and cycles OK. Some shooters have springs marked for different set-ups. But for SD just find one that works best.

Jeff H
August 27, 2009, 08:50 PM
similar topic to one I posted earlier on another forum

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=242837

madmag
August 27, 2009, 10:09 PM
When I needed a new FPS I tried the EGW FPS. Didn't like it at all. Not saying it doesn't work. I just do not like the idea of putting the extra work on the hammer spring, or that sharp edge working against the hammer surface. I went with a Wilson Combat FPS with normal radius. Anyway, why go to that trouble when changing recoil spring rate will solve the problem.

Having said that, it's still to each his own. If a square bottom FPS works, then I guess that's all that counts.