PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Model 346KA Info and Value

Shane Tuttle
August 24, 2009, 08:28 PM
A friend of mine is wanting to sell his Mossberg and if the price is right I might be interested. I don't know much about the rifle, but it's one that I'l like to have in my collection. Here's the scoop...

This is what's stamped on the gun...

Mossberg & Sons INC.
North Haven, Conn USA

AC-KRO-GRUV

Model 346KA 22-S-L-LR

Condition: There's light surface rust all over the barrel blueing. I think it just needs a good cleaning. I don't see any pitting. The stock has some normal wear such as deep scratches, etc. It has been refinished in the past. However, the stock is, in fact, in very good condition. Everything is in place. The sights are nice and tight. The bolt operates smoothly. Trigger feels nice for a .22 rifle. I don't see a serial number for the gun anywhere. Figured this is normal since all of my other old .22 rifles aren't serialized.

Questions:

1. What's the letter designations under the address?
2. What's a good ballpark value on a rifle in this condition? I figured it isn't worth much due to the stock being refinished and surface corrosion throughout the exterior.
3. Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or experience with this model?

Bigfatts
August 24, 2009, 10:55 PM
The 346 KA was made in the 60s. They're ok little rifles. I have one the wife hunts squirrels with. It was actually my first Mossberg .22, I now have several. I find the 3 series rifles are not the same quality as the earlier models- the 40s and 140s (more plastic, different bolt design, etc), but they are still nice little guns that are great for hunting or plinking and are plenty accurate. I can't remember if the 3 series rifles had adjustable triggers or not...

As for price, I paid $85 for mine in good-very good condition in a pawn shop. That was a couple years ago and Mossberg prices have been on the rise. I would say $100-125 would be reasonable if it just needs a good cleaning. I should warn you though, once you buy a vintage Mossberg .22, you WILL buy more. Check this site out:

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html

Shane Tuttle
August 24, 2009, 11:41 PM
That's a good site. Kinda funny they just fired up a new section just a few days ago that gave me some stats on it.

So, you think that's a good ballpark price even given the stock refinish and surface rust?

Bigfatts
August 25, 2009, 04:36 PM
If you think the surface rust will polish off then I don't think that would affect the price much. I've never seen a stock refinish hurt a Mossberg's value. As long as it isn't a horrible job that you'll have to end up redoing yourself. Sometimes under that horrible Mossberg oil finish there is truly stunning wood. A pic of my 144LSB for example:

When I bought it I could just see the stripes through the finish. In the sunlight this thing is dazzling. I think I paid $225 for it and after I refinished it the first time I took it to the range someone offered me $500 for it.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/bigfatts/Mossberg/IMG_3696.jpg

I would feel ok paying $100-125 for a 346 in decent shape and that's probably about what he could get for it on GB.

Shane Tuttle
August 25, 2009, 09:20 PM
OK, I'll let him know. I think with a price like that it seems to be quite fair.

BTW, that stock is stunning. If we do come to terms, I might attempt to refinish it. I refinished my father-in-law's Springfield 87A rifle and loved the wood underneath its dark, murky finish...

rantingredneck
August 25, 2009, 09:26 PM
tuttle,

Check www.havlinsales.com for any parts you may need for it. Also may want to email Vic Havlin with any questions about the model. If anyone knows anything about Mossbergs it's him.

Bigfatts
August 25, 2009, 10:15 PM
Cool, hopefully I'll be able to welcome you to the Mossberg addict fold. You may also want to check out the Mossberg forum at Rimfirecentral. Lots of info there.

And yes, Vic is a great guy to deal with. I've ordered things from him here and there.

Shane Tuttle
September 7, 2009, 08:09 PM
Update:

I bought the rifle and took it out for a short time Saturday. I was very happy on the accuracy and ease of cycling of the bolt. Knowing .22lr is already almost nonexistent in recoil, this really didn't have any. Cant wait to get it on the bench and see what she can really do...

Bigfatts
September 7, 2009, 08:33 PM
Congratulations on your first old Mossberg! It won't be the last. Next it will be "I just want to get a 146B". Then it will be "I guess I really should have a 144 to go with the 146..." It gets addicting.

You shouldn't have any problems wringing some reall good accuracy out of it on the bench. My tube fed Mossbergs have no problem putting a whole load (18 rounds in my 146b) through a dime sized hole at 25 yards when I do my part. Soon you'll want one of the models with peep sights...

Shane Tuttle
September 7, 2009, 08:51 PM
You're exactly right about peep sights. For some reason, they're much easier on the eyes when using them instead of standard iron. I'm sure there's a Mossberg out there with another fair price with my name on it...

csmsss
September 7, 2009, 08:55 PM
You're exactly right about peep sights. For some reason, they're much easier on the eyes when using them instead of standard iron.For some, perhaps. But not for me and many others I know. I greatly prefer a notch and blade sight.

Bigfatts
September 8, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sure there's a Mossberg out there with another fair price with my name on it...

There is, I'm sure. Although they're getting alot harder to find at a reasonable price they can be scrounged up. Watch the pawn shops. I picked up this beautiful 146b in a pawn shop for $100 OTD.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/bigfatts/Mossberg/IMG_1991.jpg

It's the most accurate rifle I have.