PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 Mk II RSI

Sea Buck
August 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
I fell in love with a Ruger M77 Mk II RSI in .243 at my local dealer and am picking it up tomorrow. Some people are telling me that this rifle is " not accurate". What's up? I always thought that accuracy was up to the shooter!Any one heard any feedback about the RSI? It's a short barreled rifle...handy and I like the way it holds. Is there a load preferance I should look at. I also will try handloading this but have been told that headspace is a problem due to the necked down case. Comments about any of this please.Thanks

Scorch
August 18, 2009, 01:10 AM
The only way to tell is to shoot it.

trooper3385
August 18, 2009, 01:47 AM
I've always loved the Mannlicher stocks and wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price was right and it was in good shape. It's not designed to be a target rifle, but should be plenty accurate for hunting. I've got a Remington 600 Mohawk in a 243 that was the first gun my dad bought me. With the 18 in barrel, it's still very accurate and I still hunt with it on occasions. I've taken a couple of hogs at 250 yds and a 150 class 12 point last year with it.

KurtC
August 18, 2009, 07:31 AM
Ruger uses their Ultralight barrel on their full stock model. It heats up very fast. This can cause stringing with some loads. If you find this to be an issue, just let the barrel cool a bit between shots.

Remington and CZ use rather heavy barrels on their full stock models, and their accuracy is usually quite remarkable. They also weigh noticeably more than the Ruger, and have slightly longer barrels.

dgludwig
August 19, 2009, 05:05 AM
Mine chambered in .308 is plenty accurate-not MOA, but will shoot three shot groups under two inches from a rest with factory ammunition @ 100 yards all day long. Maybe not a tack driver but a great whitetail carbine and I wouldn't want it one ounce heavier or one inch longer for the habitat I hunt in.

GONIF
August 19, 2009, 03:40 PM
RUGER :barf:

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
Not an RSI but my Hawkeye .30-06 is a sub-moa shooter with its prefered loads----cheap Federal 150 grainers from Walmart.

Baba Louie
August 19, 2009, 04:07 PM
As others have said, typically the RSI/Mannlicher stocked rifles are hunting tools as opposed to benchrest/target rifles.

As a kid I read that the longer stocks allowed hunters to use said implement as a walking stick while hunting hilly and or mountainous terrain.

Whatever the reason, they do look nice. But the barrel/wood contact can cause issues due to barrel contact, weather causing wood to swell, etc. so there's that point to ponder. Maybe.

Good little hunting gun typically. Barrels are a little shorter than the norm, so that might be a concern due to velcity loss... then again, it might not. Open sights are rare nowadays on hunting rifles (probably a conspiracy brought about by optics mfgs coupled w/ rifle mfgs saving a buck or two).

Since you'll probably not be slaying Bambi at 500 yds with an open sighted .243, nor would you be competing w/ the long range crowd (might be fun to do it to learn rifle and your limitations however) I'd say get it.