PDA

View Full Version : Are there companies that'd import an individual gun?

raftman
August 17, 2009, 07:15 PM
Let's take for example a gun like MP-448 Skyph, it's a modern Russian pistol, with polymer frame, 12-rd capacity, and chambered for 9mm Mak. Now, it's not commercially available in the USA (though if it were, I suspect it'd be quite popular). Is there some business that would legally be able to important one of these specifically for a customer that requests it? It just seems as though there's a real good number of good guns out there, and they're simply not available here.

Edit: Sorry, must've clicked the wrong thing and not noticed, was meant to be put in "General Discussion" can it be moved?

hknut
August 17, 2009, 09:58 PM
I would bet it would have to be importable by the BATFE. You might start there.

raftman
August 17, 2009, 10:30 PM
Well, from what I've gathered, the law says one has to be a licensed importer in order to do that. So that would be something along the lines of Century Arms, except Century doesn't take individual requests from customers, I was wondering if there was a business that does.

oneounceload
August 18, 2009, 07:34 AM
What he's saying is this - even IF you found a company with the proper licenses/permits and IF they were willing to do it, IF the gun is on the BATF's do not import list, it won't matter - so you should check there first to see if it's allowed at all.

raftman
August 18, 2009, 05:59 PM
Tried looking up this ATF no import list and couldn't find much using specifically those terms. Couldn't find any list of guns that can't be imported. There was some discussion board on which a member stated some countries were not okay to import from or export to, which included Russia. The list also included Romania. Given the widespread availability of 91/30's, M44's, SKS's, M1895's, Makarovs and copies of AK's, Tokarev's and the like in the USA, this policy doesn't appear to be an absolute outright ban on Russian-made weapons or copies thereof. So I guess, I can't say for certain a gun like the MP-448 would necessarily be verboten. The only other potentially relevant rule is that 922r business, but doesn't that only apply to semi-auto rifles and shotguns, and would thus have nothing to do with pistols, no?

Hkmp5sd
August 18, 2009, 06:21 PM
Your standard everyday local 01-FFL can import a firearm for you, if you can find one willing to go through the hassle. Generally it is better to find one that is licensed to import.

In a case like this, the importer would submit a ATF FORM 6 Part I (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53303a.pdf) to ATF and see if they approve it. ATF will determine whether or not your handgun meets the "sporting" clause of the 1968 Gun Control Act and either approve or disapprove the request.

S391
August 22, 2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, I am sure there are but the trick will be finding one with a type - 08 import FFL (an 01 FFL can import a small number of firearms but they cannot be for resale (unless this changed in the last few years since I imported firearms)) who can import the firearm for you.

I dealt with long guns (shotguns and rifles) and Griffin & Howe and British Sporting Arms would both import guns but I have no idea if they would import a handgun.

Good luck in your search.