PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP Sights

rptrower
August 15, 2009, 11:47 PM
I just purchased a Ruger LCP .380 for concealed carry. On firing for the first time I had problems with the sights in low light condtitions. Has anyone tried the Nitesiters photo-luminescent dots from the following web site?

http://www.nitesiters.com/

terminator
August 16, 2009, 01:24 AM
some white high flourescent fingernail polish fixed mine

flattop44
August 17, 2009, 10:32 AM
I put a dap of "Yellow Chartruse Glow" fishing jig paint on mine, really helps pick up.

Dave Krobath
August 17, 2009, 01:59 PM
If your going to use this for SD a lazer is the only way to go. You wont have time to get in a sighting stance like at the range. Just get the red dot where you need it to be and fire. If your ever in a situation to use it the sights are useless in most cases. :)

2003flht
August 17, 2009, 02:14 PM
i personally dont like lasers. my opionion though... learn how to point shoot your weapon. i can hit soda cans all day long at 10 yards with my Kimber Ultra. no need for sights at that close a distance.

My buddy has a glock with laser site. its funny how he has to find the red dot and follow it to the can. i down three by the time he gets his first. i can only imagine that in a self defense situation, that following that red dot is going to take your attention off of the threat........

rptrower
August 17, 2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your posts.

I do very well with point & shoot using my S&W M&P 9C. The LCP has more noticable recoil than the M&P causing me to take more time to get back on target after the first shot. I guess I need more range time with it.

I ordered a CTC LG431 this morning. This will be my first handgun with a laser. I am also going to paint the front sight blade.

alfack
August 17, 2009, 04:12 PM
Good call on the laser. I have one on mine and it rocks. I can point and shoot with a 1911, too. It's a little tough to do with such a puny gun. It's like pointing your fist, instead of your index finger. I guarantee you I will have more hits pointing and shooting with the laser than you would without it, on the LCP. 6+1 .380 are too few to be spraying and praying with.

Kreyzhorse
August 17, 2009, 08:08 PM
Painting both the front and rear sight really help the LCP out. I'd try that option before I sprung for a laser set up.

fisherman66
August 17, 2009, 08:15 PM
I used the wife's "jig paint" on my LCP's tini-wennie irons.

Bill DeShivs
August 17, 2009, 09:02 PM
Batteries run down. Miniature electronics malfunction.
Why would you want to rely on a laser when practice is what you need.
Oh, nevermind..... it's pretty obvious.
The LCP point shoots very well, just in case you decide to learn. ;)

alfack
August 17, 2009, 10:52 PM
The laser doesn't detract from any pointability at all.
Why would you not want to take advantage of any technology you can?
You see the dot, you know where the point of impact is. What's the disadvantage? Er, none!
How does a laser keep you from practicing?
If the laser fails guess what? You can still point it or use the sights even.
I painted my sights white, too. It's still hard to acquire them in low light or quickly.
Guess what else? You can be laying on the ground or behind cover or not even able to point and still make a hit.
He already said he ordered the laser. Are you trying to say he's stupid for buying it? Crikey.

Bill DeShivs
August 18, 2009, 01:24 AM
No. I'm saying that relying on a laser to be able to accurately shoot your gun is stupid. If you learn to properly shoot, you won't need toys like lasers. They can be useful in limited situations, but they make it too easy to not learn to use the gun without them.

Dave Krobath
August 18, 2009, 10:28 AM
The LCP is a belly gun for close up situations. All I was saying if you were ever in a situation where you needed to actually pull and use you gun. The situation and extra excitment that all that brings may not give someone the time to aim properly. The little red dot can be very handy in a real life situation. I am not saying that anyone should totally rely on a lazer but it makes my wife feel more confident with it being on the gun than before we put it on. The LCP is not a fun range gun so most people that I know who have them do not get enough pratice time with that little bugger as they should. Most have others guns to shoot at the range. So anyway If it makes you feel better about your ability then having one makes sence to me.

rptrower
August 18, 2009, 11:39 AM
I like getting everyones point of view and I respect all of them.

I do practice every week, usually firing several rounds in every pistol I own both with sights & pointing.

Hopefully I will never experience having to use the LCP in self-defense. However as a former Army MP that has been in that situation several times, I intend to have every advantage I can get!

Cooperhawk
August 18, 2009, 11:43 AM
My wife and I both have Crimson Trace Lasers on our LCPs. They work very well and the normal sights are still available.

9mm1033
August 18, 2009, 03:23 PM
The LCP is a belly gun for close up situations.

I agree. I doubt Ruger had thoughts of this handgun being used passed 20 feet, hence the low sights. If you can shoot it as a range gun, you are one tough dude. I shot mine to be sure it works and put it away in my pocket. That damn little thing hurts.

Bill DeShivs
August 18, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'm sure the Ruger is more accurate than most shooters. Why not take it to the range and see what it will really do before you consign it to a "20 foot gun."

FamilyDog
August 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
I tried these from Nitesiters on my elsie http://www.nitesiters.com/#elsiepeaforum

They were alright but I took them off. I too believe the LCP is more of a belly gun.

rptrower
August 25, 2009, 10:52 AM
Just finished test firing my LCP with CTC LG431 mounted. Blewup about 12 hedge apples from 30' to 40'. The laser is a great assistance to my 62 yr. old eyesite. My wife even agrees that I need to buy lasers for my M&P 9C and Beretta 92FS!

roklok
August 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
Here is what I did to my LCP sights:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355573&highlight=lcp+sight

Ruger may have intended the LCP as a "belly gun" but I have found that mine is very accurate out to 20 yards or so.

flattop44
August 25, 2009, 06:00 PM
ROKLOK, I like that, the work on the rear sight really nice...very innovative

Superhouse 15
August 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
Brownells also sells a 2 part acrylic for sights. It's the same kind of thing ladies use for fancy fingernails, and most beauty supply places have it. It's a lot more durable than model paint or nail polish. You can mix in any pigment color you like, including flourescent stuff. You can make up the cost doing sights for your friends easily.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22791/Product/FRONT_SIGHT_INSERT_KIT

I also heard that somebody is using a Trijicon shotgun night sight bead installed in the slide. Sort of a improvised XS sight, should be good for close range point shooting.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6846/Product/TRU_DOT_DAY_NIGHT_SHOTGUN_BEAD

old_ironsights
August 25, 2009, 08:07 PM
"Ruger LCP" and "sights" are mutually exclusive terms, but you might want to check out http://www.apwcogan.com/custom_carry.htm I doubt they'll turn down your money, but you'll find that they won't guarantee accuracy.

As Dave Krobath opined, the Ruger is a small, close-in, self-defense weapon of last resort. It is innately inaccurate at ranges beyond 30 feet, and trying to drape it with lasers or expensive sights won't change that.

Here's a set up they have for the P3AT

http://www.apwcogan.com/images/Keltec1.gif

Bill DeShivs
August 25, 2009, 11:32 PM
I can install Keltec P11 sights on P32, P3AT keltecs, and Ruger LCPs for $125.00

old_ironsights
August 26, 2009, 09:04 AM
What do you charge for a scope mount on the a P3AT? :rolleyes:

swright101
August 26, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have Nitesiters on my LCP and like them. I use the Big dot for the front and a small one for the rear. They hold a charge for a few hours and stay on the gun if you follow the instructions. But as some of the other posters have said the LCP is a close range gun so sights aren't going to make a lot of difference. I use them because I have poor vision and they help me see where I am pointing at in low light. At the outdoor range I just point and shoot (5-7 yards max) and do well enough for self defense purposes. The Nitesiters are an inexpensive way to go though. I have them on my S&W 642 as well. I like them but YMMV.