PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Firearms repair and refurb. shop???????

Tucker 2
August 14, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'd be interested to hear from those of you who have had Marlin do a major overhaul on one of your rifles. I got snookered on a deal (another forum) and try as I might I am not going to get this 39M back in shape myself. I changed my mind about cold blueing. The barrel is rusty and the buck horn sight broke off due to rust in the dovetail slot). The wood is not a problem. The action has a failure to feed problem (like never feeds) and it feels jerky. and a bit stiff. There is one local (within 100 mi.) gunsmith. He's a good man. But I was curious about Marlin's shop. Anyone know?

Slamfire
August 15, 2009, 09:59 AM
I sent a microgrooved Marlin M1894 to have it rebarreled with a Ballard barrel. I talked to the head gunsmith and explained what I wanted. Which was a barrel that shot .429 cast bullets well.

Even though the rifle was sent back in the original 1981 vintage box, there was a stock split. (UPS has designed this machine that will crush the contents of a package without damaging the exterior :mad:) They glued it together, for free. The gunsmith actually gaged a bunch barrels installed a few, shot them himself.

I consider for the low price I paid, they went the extra mile.

I give them two Thumbs up.

Tucker 2
August 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. That helps. I will probably take down the Mountie and ship it in a thicker squarish box.

And my wife says I'm an idiot for keeping all that packaging material. <insert maniacal laugh sound track here>.:D