PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23

kandrus84
August 8, 2009, 01:18 AM
I've been saving a little money here and there for a little while and still have a little ways to go but I think I've decided my next purchase. You might have guessed my selection already if you read the thread title. I'd like to get some opinions on the gun before I absolutely commit. Like it? Hate it? Never leave home without it? I've heard quite a few people mention replacing the factory barrel on their Glock. Has anyone done this? What is the issue with the factory barrel?

Thanks in advance,
K

Chesster
August 8, 2009, 04:10 AM
I prefer the 19 but have had a 23 in the past. They are both good carry guns. My only .40s right now are a pair of police trade in G22s.

cz223
August 8, 2009, 04:41 AM
just may be the perfect combination of size, capacity and, cartridge. While it is not "small", I believe that I can conceal it as easily as its little brothers, the 26,27 and the 33. It also handles better than the the little guys. With 4 more rounds it is an easy choice. On the other end of the scale, the 17, 22 and the 31 just feel too bulky and I can't imagine trying to conceal one in an IWB. As far as the 40 S&W cartidge is concerned, I prefer it over the 9mm for self defence. If you can't get the job done with 14 rounds of 40 S&W you probably need reenforcements.:D Glocks are not pretty guns. They are, as I like to say, uggly as a hammer, and just as reliable. They are simple to operate and go bang every time. I currently own a 23 and a 32, in 357 sig and carry the 23 most every day.

Sixer
August 8, 2009, 06:04 AM
just may be the perfect combination of size, capacity and, cartridge

bingo!

The G23 was my first handgun. I love it, plain and simple. If I ever had to take a pistol into battle, the G23 would be at the top of my list.
The only changes I have made was swapping out the factory barrel for a Storm Lake barrel ( Started reloading and wanted to be on the safe side ). I also added an extended mag release and one of those "butt plug" things. Other than that it's pretty much stock. Did I mention I love this gun? :)

ScaryWoody
August 8, 2009, 08:09 AM
Excellent choice! The Glock 23 is very versatile as you can purchase additional barrels in ther calibers. I have the .40S&W, .357sig and 9mm barrels. Three guns in one.

velodemon
August 8, 2009, 08:11 AM
I prefer 9mm or 45acp. I have a G23. I was my first pistol. Now, after owning 45's and 9mm's, I just don't care for the "snappiness" of the 40 s&w round. FWIW the gun is very reliable and does just what it is supposed to do.

amprecon
August 8, 2009, 11:24 AM
I had G19's in the past and never gave the .40 much thought as most everything I read about it claimed the recoil was too much and it was inaccurate. After I tried a friend's G23 I realized the recoil wasn't much more than the 9mm especially when using +p's. So I opted for the G23 having more power and only a couple rounds less than the G19 and as accurate. They are great guns and I "feel" better with the power of the .40 over the 9mm.

Oldjarhead
August 8, 2009, 01:07 PM
As a LEO, I was issued a Glock m23 for duty use. It is a very reliable pistol, and accuracy is not match grade, but good enough at combat distances. I have carried this gun on and off duty, as it is just the right size for both uniform and concealed carry. The .40 caliber is a proven stopper as well. I have carried the Glock m23 for ten years and have put several thousand rounds through it, without a single malfunction in all that time. You have made a great choice. Mine was issued with Tritium night sights and a slightly extended slide release lever.

My daughter has one also. Like any new gun, I noticed the trigger and springs were a lot stiffer, but after several hundred rounds, the m23's trigger and slide spring were much smoother. As a defensive round for your gun, I would get a 165g hydroshock. Good luck with it and enjoy.

kandrus84
August 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty much sold on .40 S&W. My father-in-law has a XD40. I was pretty impressed with it but he also has a Glock 30. I liked the way the Glock 30 fit in my hand but it could be a just a fuzz bigger as far as the grip. I just need to get my hands on the 23 and see if it is a good fit.

Broadside Bob
August 8, 2009, 06:22 PM
Best advice is rent one at the range and shoot before you buy. They're so popular that any range will have one. If you like the way it feels in your hand and shoots, you can't go wrong...nothing is more reliable, and it's probably more accurate than you will ever be (no offense, I'd say that about myself and my G19).

My 19 conceals well IWB in a T-shirt and shorts and is comfortable. You won't find anything lighter in that size gun.

Mosin44az
August 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
If you have not already shot a 23, I second the advice about renting one before buying. Although it has been awhile, I recall the recoil of the 23 to be more than a bit uncomfortable, and I didn't like it.

Other, slightly larger guns seem to handle recoil better: XD40 and Beretta Px4 .40 come to mind as does the Taurus 24/7 .40. I even think the little Glock 27 handles recoil better, possibly because the two-finger grip causes it to roll a little in the hand.

Felt recoil is my only caveat, though. Otherwise excellent choice.

rsxr22
August 8, 2009, 08:43 PM
the 23 is a great gun!! I personally own a G22 but i love it. I do have an aftermarket barrel for my Glock though, it is a bar-sto. On top of improving accuracy and aftermarket barrel enables you to shoot lead w/o hesitation.

It makes the gun more accurate because it makes lock-up tighter while not affecting reliability. If you've ever handled a glock, it almost feels like with enough force you could rip the slide right off the frame. Well w/ an aftermarket barrel it makes the fit much tighter, similar to a high end production 1911. It was a good $150 spent

Dr_2_B
August 9, 2009, 12:57 AM
just may be the perfect combination of size, capacity and, cartridge

I agree with this so much I had to do a double-take to see if it was I who had posted it here. I own about 18 ccw pistols (no lie) and I consider the G23 to be the finest.

payden
August 9, 2009, 02:04 AM
I've had my g23c for a little or a month and could not have found it to better even after about 300 rounds. I do suggest you try the "c" models. I would swear they make a significant difference. That may be hot air, or just the hot air fitting me in the face (it does take some getting use to). It will drop a large sow at five yards, but that was in a trap. So, that's more of testimate to the caliber, and not my immense skill. Ling story short great gun.

smoke63b
August 9, 2009, 10:53 AM
I carried a Glock 23 for several years and loved it. The .40 is definitely snappy in that glock but I don't remember it ever being uncomfortable. I would regularly put 200 or 300 rounds through it every range trip. Loved shooting it. It really is almost a perfect size for the average sized person. I would definitely shoot one first if possible to see if you like shooting the .40 out of that weapon. The .40 is the one round that you really need to shoot in a given gun because it can be anywhere from really mild to extremely snappy as in muzzle flip.

SergeantC
August 9, 2009, 11:02 AM
Out of four Glocks I own, my G23 is my favorite. It is, as has been said, a good combination of size, power, ammunition capacity, etc. It is big enough to be a good range or home defense gun, and small enough to be a good CCW gun. 14 rounds of .40 (counting the round in the chamber) is not to be sneezed at if you have to use it for real. And, if you want more ammunition, it can use G22 magazines.

I know some people complain about the recoil, but I've never had a problem with it (which may be because I started handgun shooting with a Glock 22.)

m&p45acp10+1
August 9, 2009, 11:22 AM
The Glock is a good gun if you can handle the ergos of it. My brother has what I like to call the Texas Glock Museum in his safe. He has prety much every Glock that has been imported since thier debut. It is conistanly accurate, and will go bang when you need it to if you pull the trigger. It will eat pretty much any hollow point you can put in it.
As far as your question about changing the barrel. If you shoot lead then change the barrel. The polygonal rifling of Glock factory barrels tend to foul with lead causing increases in pressure which can cause the gun to blow up. If you are not going to shoot lead the factory barrel is fine as it is.

collector rob
August 9, 2009, 12:26 PM
Mine is my daily CCW. For CCW it is a good combination of power and size. As far as aftermarket barrels, the only reason you would need one is to fire non-jacketed bullets. Polygonal bores don't like bare lead bullets.
I did purchase an after-market barrel for mine, but is a 9mm conversion barrel by Lone Wolf. I don't use it for CCW, but it allows me to practice and save a few bucks shooting 9mm as opposed to 40s&w.

hickok45
August 10, 2009, 06:52 AM
Great gun and as accurate from a standing position as anything else you could buy. If you're only going to shoot it from a bench or Ransome Rest, then you might want to compare it that way with some other guns. IT still might win, however.

For carry, I'd stick with the stock barrel. I carried a G23 for 10 years, as well as shot it in lots of IPSC matches with handloads. No problems ever.

I now prefer the G27, but the G23 is also a wonderful little gun.