PDA

View Full Version : Sig 556 or gas piston driven AR 15?

Kurbsky
July 25, 2009, 11:21 PM
I finally narrowed down my choice of new weapon in my arsenal to 2 options of more or less similar price:
1. Sig 556 SWAT
2. Gas piston driven AR 15 - there are several US manufacturers (one of them Bushmaster)
I actually like both but can only afford one.
I already have one good Colt AR 15 but it's not gas piston driven - just a regular Colt.

I would appreciate your opinions to help me to make a decision.

Philo_Beddoe
July 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
Get the Sig if you want a piston, the gun was designed with a piston, the AR's were not.

DaveInPA
July 26, 2009, 06:17 AM
Ask yourself this - what is the DI system not doing for you that you feel the piston system will?

Kurbsky
July 26, 2009, 11:12 AM
Actually you are right. DI does everything I need and is probably more accurate than piston. Difinitely much less expensive. I also just read an interesting statement about some Sig 556 quality issues. I probably just need to buy something like Stag Arms 2T with a rail on it. The cheaper the better for me (I don't assemble staff myself) but I just can't think of anything less expensive than Stag 2T with a rail installed.
Thanks!

Kurbsky
July 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
Another thought: would it be less expensive to just buy a lower receiver and other parts and pay somebody like a gun smith to assemble an AR15 for me?

I never understood why some people buy several lower receivers and keep them. If AR15s are banned one day, will they be considered "pre-ban" and people will still be able to make rifles with them?

KB8UBL
July 26, 2009, 03:19 PM
I've owned a Sig 556 Swat for over a year now and love it. Has never jammed, misfired and is very accurate with my ACOG/Red Dot mounted to the rail system. It has a 1:7 twist so 62 grain is as light as you can shoot with much accuracy. I haven't found anything I don't like about it but then, I don't own another AR...

DaveInPA
July 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
You might be able to save a little money by buying the parts separately but not a ton. The nice thing about going that route is that you end up with EXACTLY the rifle you want.

Also, is it REALLY not hard to build an AR, seriously. And it's extremely satisfying when you're done.

Crosshair
July 26, 2009, 03:58 PM
Have you looked at a .223 AK like the Siagas or the other higher end option AKs out there? Sure you won't be able to shoot a guys nuts off at 400 yards, but how many of us actually use that "feature"?

jman841
July 26, 2009, 04:06 PM
What is your intended purpose with it? Just a plinker/target shooting gun. In that case a DI system will be more than enough and may be a little more accurate, at least there is a lot more precision shooting DI AR-15's out there than Piston operated ones. If you want a SHTF end of days will never jam and don't have to clean after every trip, then i would say the SIG or a well built AR system.

While the AR is not a DI system and the conversion kits to go from DI to piston are crap, the dedicated Piston operated AR style weapons are excellent and should not be looked down upon because they are different. Given it is a well built one like HK's 416.

The only thing about DI is it is verrrry dirty and your bolt and internals will get extremely hot if you are firing a lot of ammo quickly. Personally, with the exception of precision target shooting (less moving parts to interfere with accuracy), i see no advantage to DI.

9x19
July 26, 2009, 04:27 PM
You might consider the new Ruger SR556... much less money than most other piston ARs on the market. ($1400)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556.jpg

At first blush, the price seems high, but given the Troy quad-rail and folding sights (about 400-500 if you wanted to add both to a basic AR) it's really not that bad.

You know the old man is long gone when a Ruger product comes from the factory with three 30 round mags! I noticed they dropped the "S" in the eagle logo too. It's a bit heavy with all that added mass out front, but I already like it better than my Sig 556! :D

Fit and finish are great, and while the trigger isn't anything special, it runs without a bobble, and I hope to get a chance to wring it out for accuracy this week.

DaveInPA
July 26, 2009, 04:39 PM
Those new Rugers do look nice. Two things would immediately change if I owned one though.

1. I would change the muzzle device. That flash hider is FUGLY.

2. Why in God's name did they use a crappy CAA stock? They have troy rails and sights and Magpul mags. Why not do a Magpul CTR instead of that chinese CAA crap? :confused:

ETA: The stock might be a TAPCO, actually. Either way, dunno what they were thinking.

jman841
July 26, 2009, 04:54 PM
I think they look excellent and would make a great choice, as soon as my residency changes to FL i will consider buying one as well.

Kurbsky
July 26, 2009, 05:26 PM
Ruger SR-556 is certainly a beautiful piece. Little bit too heavy for me (I guess because of the rail) when I handled it at the local friendly neighborhood gun store which would sell it for much more that $1,400 someone quoted above but still visibly less than MSRP of $1,995. Before you spend money though, I would strongly recommend to do some research into this NEW rifle's problems noted so far like bolt carrier tilt and possibly something else (http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?p=1905008).
Mybe Ruger will iprove it next your. I certainly wish them luck with it.

I will probably just buy a Stag Arms 2T for now and a good lower receiver at a gun show to follow your advice and build my 3rd AR-15 the way I want it.
I doubt it will be a gas piston creation because this cute little feature at this point adds $1,000 to the cost of the rifle.

thallub
July 27, 2009, 07:41 AM
IMO: The gas piston as an answer to a non-problem.

flight954
July 27, 2009, 08:31 AM
Go for the Sig556

Kurbsky
July 27, 2009, 06:17 PM
To Mr.9X19's comfort I can inform that I spoke to a gun store owner this afternoon who told me that not all Ruger 556s are having problems - just some of them and they will fix them eventually. He does not sell Ruger 556s though.
He did show me a very nice gas piston driven LWRC M6A1. It was beautiful and super high quality but well above $2,000.

KyJim
July 27, 2009, 06:44 PM
Maybe you could scrounge up a Daewoo AR-100 or variant.

9x19
July 27, 2009, 09:02 PM
IMO: The gas piston as (sic) an answer to a non-problem.

So.... that's why the Garand was so poorly received! :p

Just kidding... my DI ARs run fine, but different is not always bad.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/ARx3.jpg

HorseSoldier
July 27, 2009, 09:48 PM
The Sig 556 is a nice rifle, but after buying one and putting it through its paces I pretty much accepted that it didn't really do anything that a quality AR didn't do. If it's your first tactical/black/military-style/whatever kind of rifle, you can pretty much toss a coin and which ever sides lands up you'll be good to go (as long as you go with a quality AR -- low end stuff is another story).

globalsmack
July 27, 2009, 11:20 PM
As an owner of multiple POFs, a Bushy DI and a Sig Classic I would go with the Sig Classic. Side by side with everything it shoots the smoothest. If you want a Quad rail skip the Swat version and just get the classic and buy the troy battle rail. Much better IMHO.

If you want a piston to have a cleaner gun go with a HK SL8. The manual says to clean it every 3000 rounds IIRC. The thing runs as clean as clean can be.

ronl
July 28, 2009, 12:27 AM
Try checking out a Robinson Armament XCR. It really is a nice rifle and fits the bill to a T. I have mine set up with an EOtech 552, YHM BUIS and a Green laser and it an excellent all around system. Very accurate with my handloads. Best of all I think you would find the customer service to be excellent, if you ever need it. You can change calibers in less than 5 min. if you get an extra kit. I'm looking at getting a 6.8 kit for mine.

flight954
July 28, 2009, 01:23 PM
He did show me a very nice gas piston driven LWRC M6A1. It was beautiful and super high quality

:D
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/flight954/Rifles/LWRCM6A2001.jpg

Kurbsky
July 28, 2009, 02:43 PM
Very nice collection 9X19! The first gun on the left though is begging for that new fancy $200+ stock in my opinion. I don't have one myself yet but eventually will buy one.

9x19
July 28, 2009, 05:22 PM
I've been looking at stocks, but there are so many these days, it's hard to decide... although I still haven't measured the stock tube to see if it's Mil-Spec or commercial. :cool:

DaveInPA
July 28, 2009, 06:33 PM
What brand is the rifle? That'll tell ya if it's mil spec or commercial.

Kurbsky
July 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
I am talking about Vtor stocks:

http://www.vltor.com/modstocks.htm

9x19
July 29, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm more of a fan of the A-frame designs, like Magpul's MOE and CTR models... plus I like the fact that it provides a bit of "protection" for the adjustment latch.

Kurbsky
July 29, 2009, 06:44 PM
The best stock is Magpul UBR but one has to wait till it's available at $265 somewhere.