PDA

View Full Version : Hi Points

neon
July 15, 2009, 01:56 PM
I am new here to this forum but have high post counts
on other gun boards. No it's not Hi Point sites..lol

I haven't been here long enough to know others feelings
about Hi Point. I can say I bashed the crap out of them
many times and made fun of others who did own them.

I am lucky enough to own really nice guns. I have for the
most part changed my ways/feelings about them. If thats
all a person can afford I would rather see them with a
Hi Point than no gun at all.

There are times I still throw mud at the brand but, I mean
no harm at all. It's my way of teasing.

In the future I thought about getting one to use as a camping
gun or plinker. Do I think it would be accurate? Yes.. Would I
use it for HD? Yes, if thats all I had.

To all you Hi Point lovers..us gun snobs do change sometimes :D

I still would want the .40 or .45 though ;)

perley03
July 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
I bought one about two years ago just for the hell of it. Buddy owns a gun shop and I bought it at his cost, and I gotta tell you, I've never had a failure to feed, never had a jam, this thing eats whatever ammo you can throw at it. And what surprised me is its pretty accurate. I've fed it WWB, Blazer Brass, Magtech FMJ and JHP Guardian Gold, and some of my "homegrown" reloads, and this thing chews them right up and never complained once.
All you gun bashers can bash this company all you want, but after about 500-600 rounds and not one failure, you can't complain too much. Hell I've shot about 1200 rds out of my XD and have had a bunch of FTFs, and that is a $600 gun. I wouldn't want to conceal carry it though, it is a bit on the bulky side.

neon
July 15, 2009, 03:15 PM
I bought one about two years ago just for the hell of it. Buddy owns a gun shop and I bought it at his cost, and I gotta tell you, I've never had a failure to feed, never had a jam, this thing eats whatever ammo you can throw at it. And what surprised me is its pretty accurate. I've fed it WWB, Blazer Brass, Magtech FMJ and JHP Guardian Gold, and some of my "homegrown" reloads, and this thing chews them right up and never complained once.
All you gun bashers can bash this company all you want, but after about 500-600 rounds and not one failure, you can't complain too much. Hell I've shot about 1200 rds out of my XD and have had a bunch of FTFs, and that is a $600 gun. I wouldn't want to conceal carry it though, it is a bit on the bulky side.

This is what I have heard from everyone that owns one..That
they are dependable and basically are inexpensive good guns.

I am going to buy one in the future as an experiment. I have heard
the .40 and .45 are better out of the box than the C9. I am going
to load the magazines up for two weeks like everyone has said..may
fluff and buff it some myself.

Just want to see for myself. I won't knock them anymore until I
try'em.

Steve1911
July 15, 2009, 04:20 PM
I have had several. Both the carbines and the pistols.

If you are looking for a gun and can't afford much then they are good. If you can afford "the best" like I have been blessed to be able to do. They are still good, but not my first choice.

They have been reliable and you don't have to worry about scratching them like so many people do. I don't worry about scratches on any of my firearms. A scratch will not stop the function and only is bad to those that choose their guns on the looks.

My son dropped my tackle box gun (hipoint c9) in our south pond about 6 months ago and didn't tell me, until I could not find it. I wanted to throttle him but saying as he is almost 40 I guess he is too old to have the old man whip him anymore. But I wanted to fish it out... So we did (by we I mean him. Come on it gave him a chance to get out his scuba stuff.)

He got it and tried (like an idiot) to shoot it right away. Click... Once he got the soggy clip out and replaced it with a fresh one. Boom, boom, boom...

So glock eat your heart out...

I will buy more I am sure.

w_houle
July 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have a Hi Point 380 that I wish was a 9mm but aside from that, the only thing I don't like is the paint is peeling from the feed ramp. I haven't had problems with it feeding though.
This pistol won't be much until it can find aftermarket support/ upgrades:
Sight options, because some people are picky about sights.
Trigger. IIRC someone makes an aluminum trigger for one or more of the rifles, but don't know if it fits the pistol.
Grips. I know these are some funky things, but come on people, at least try!
Edit: something like this http://www.bushmanparts.com/995TRIGGER.html but for pistol

Uncle Buck
July 15, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have a HP .40 cal. It was bought as a plinking gun and not something that I was going to worry all that much about. I like it and although I am much better off now (Financially) than I was when I bought it, I would still get another one if I was looking for another .40 cal. (But then again, I also like the Taurus Judge :cool: )
My buddy has a 9mm carbine high point. I just do not care for it, but it has never given either one of us trouble.

bigghoss
July 15, 2009, 09:13 PM
another hi-point thread:barf: I personally think very highly of them for what you pay.

I have several friends that own and love them and I have shot a few as well as buying a .45 for my dad who loves it and a 9mm for my stepmom who loves hers.

but even after seeing and shooting the much less expensive guns out there like hi-points and rugers(own a p95dc) and sigmas I still had no problem hunking down the cash for both of my glocks or my colt 1911

okiefarmer
July 15, 2009, 09:28 PM
I just got a 995 Carbine with a 4X30 Aimpoint scope. My old JCP 40 was a very functional gun, just wanted something else.

I cannot believe how accurate this carbine is. I carry it on the tractor all the time. It's the kind of gun ya don't mind carrying with ya, pricewise. I stop and shoot armadillos, skunks, and whatever else moves in front of me. Coyotes and deer usually keep their distance, but that little scope and my handloads with LRN are amazingly accurate even out at 100+ yards. Prolly just gives them a headache if it did hit them, but I can consistantly get close enough to dust them with the dirt wake, and one of these days, I'm gonna nail one.

djohn
July 15, 2009, 10:12 PM
Stop being a richie like snob.:D.We all had to start some where,even if it's at the bottom to work are way up.Besides, I dont think a BG will discriminate a high point aimed at him.I rather have a chance of a high point saving my life or the life of family then to die saving for a glock.I want one in super lime green please.:eek:

sub349
July 15, 2009, 10:25 PM
Had been happily shooting a Luger manf in 1917 inherited from my dad along with some other of his firearms mainly Colts and S&W's (he was a career LEO). The Luger he had told me was his dad's (my grandfather's) Luger issued to him when in German Army WW1. At any rate I had an occasional FTL with it and then decided to have the stuff he left me appraised. Cleaned the Luger well and have put it away. Wanting to still shoot 9mm I ran across a Hi Point C9 at the local GS and since it was priced so reasonable bought it even though I thought it was kind of heavy. Took it to range and couldn't be happier....shoots real well and good patterns at 7 and 15 yds right out of box with no sight adjustment. After 300 rounds or so using the cheapest ammo I can find and some reloads have yet to experience a FTL......I suppose I will sometime but not so far. So pleased with it just bought their new style 995TS 9mm carbine....haven't had it to range yet but gotta make time to do it soon...I know the C9 looks maybe a bit klunky and is kinda heavy but for the price....and lifetime guaratee.....pretty hard to beat.

DasFriek
July 15, 2009, 10:34 PM
Im almost on board with a H-P myself.
I have 2x .45's and want plinking guns so each range trip doesnt cost me so much.I know i need a .22LR pistol and a 9mm,both are still dirt cheap for ammo even after this mess its been.Picking a 9mm hasnt been easy,as im not so sure i wouldnt want one as a lite weight ccw when i dont feel like lugging my .45 acp.Mabey a SCCY or Kel-tec ive thought,wich is still a good idea.
BUT niether of those are plinking guns,meaning not comfy to shoot alot and possibly not holding up to massive amounts of abuse.

I remember about a month ago visiting the local GS and walked out with $120 in purchases and 2 days later couldnt even remember what i bought.A H-P isnt that far off in cost and id walk out with a gun im sure to remember.

pacerdude
July 15, 2009, 10:57 PM
Honestly, I have considered buying one as well. The price wont make or brake me while Im saving for my 1911. Like everyone said, if it gets scratched, dinged etc... well it wasnt my Smith and Wesson. Plus the people who own them appear to be pleased with them.

Elvishead
July 15, 2009, 11:10 PM
Were I shoot at, a lot of the range masters are a little snobbish. But they have a some respect for the High Point brand.

CajunBass
July 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
I bought one (C-9) several years ago to see if they were as "bad" as everyone said they were. I had never even heard of them until I started reading these boards. At the time darn near everyone ripped them. I've noticed that's changed over the years to at least a grudging acceptance that they do work. Some people might not like them because they're ugly, cheap, or whatever, but almost no one calls them a real POS anymore.

I put almost 2000 rounds through mine. It shoots just fine. I have had a half dozen malfunctions (read jams) but four of those were out of one box of reloaded ammo. WWB, American Eagle, Rem-UMC, Blazer Brass, it runs like a watch.

PhoenixConflagration
July 16, 2009, 03:51 PM
It's big, heavy, ugly as half-cooked sin, the trigger's for $#@&, and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It was my first gun. I bought it so I'd be armed (and could learn) while I saved up for a much nicer CCW. It's like buying an old Geo, you're not going to ever be happy about it, but you'll get where you're going.

ophidia
July 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
I have a 9C-- hundreds of rounds through it w/o a jam.

flight954
July 16, 2009, 04:52 PM
Enough already with the Hi-Point threads:barf:

CUBAN REDNECK
July 16, 2009, 06:34 PM
Low-Point.:barf:

Elvishead
July 17, 2009, 02:49 AM
Enough already with the Hi-Point threads

I'm going to stand up to this claimed 100% American made gun!

100%!!!!!

I don't own one, but the range masters give it some praise. They see a lot of guns being shot, and they can be pretentious.

Put that in your shoe and eat it!!!

fast-eddie
July 17, 2009, 03:06 AM
A good aspect is that when some people that are new to guns buys them, they ussually up grade. I think the it is better to have more law biding gun owners, rather then people who want guns that can't afford them.

I love my C9, but Im going to upgrade to a larger caliber though.

raftman
July 17, 2009, 03:36 AM
I would get an HP if they were lighter and more compact, in that case, I would maybe even be able to overlook the ugly. I guess people do carry bigger and heavier guns, but for me, the dimensions are the deal-breaker.

Arondos
July 17, 2009, 04:03 AM
I own a C9. 500 rounds through it mostly CCI blazer with aluminum casings and I have had two malfunctions. One was caused by me not being set up well and limp wristing it. The other I am pretty sure was a faulty round. Sounded odd and it barely ejected. I had way more issues with my 1911 until it got massaged by the gunsmith.

Accuracy wise. at 10 yards I kept it in the 9-10 with a quick look at the sights. And no I don't claim to be a great marksman. Shot 50 rounds the other day and pretty much had one big hole in the 9-10 ring with a few strays in the 8. Was using a 25 yard target but it was still a small enough grouping that aiming center mass it wasn't going to miss.

Am I going to say it is a great gun? No. it is ugly, heavy, and a little crude compared to many weapons but it goes bang when you pull the trigger, it is more than accurate enough to get by and the price was hard to beat.

I bought it for a range plinker not a carry weapon so the weight and size don't really bother me.

wilson133
July 17, 2009, 05:04 AM
I have had the same experience as CaunBass. I bought one several years ago as sort of a joke, a 9mmm for $125. Shot it and shot it and after about 1500 rounds it started to have some feed problems, so I cleaned it (for the first time) and shot it some more.
I got bored with it and don't shoot it much now, but it still works just fine, it goes bang when I pull the trigger and hits where I aim it. It is a long way from my first choice, clumsy, clunky, oversize, but if it was all I had, I'd be okay. Sort of like a low end Ruger P-series, and I like those guns too.
The carbines are a step up in quality, I had a 9mm and then bought a .40. The girlfriend decided that since I now had 2, the 9mm was hers, and she loves it.

CajunBass
July 17, 2009, 05:55 AM
Enough already with the Hi-Point threads

Nobody makes you read them my friend.

Personally, I rather enjoy them.

Steve1911
July 17, 2009, 08:27 AM
I have been shooting for nearly half a century and I really like these high points.

But I want to ask everyone a question...

Why does everyone seem to think that Hipoints are crap, and glocks are awesome? I know they are bulky, and "ugly" and cheap... :eek:

But why do so many glock owners knock on them because of their "ugly looks"?

Lets compare the two FOR LOOKS ONLY.

Did you hear me glock cool aid drinkers? LOOKS ONLY

HERE THEY ARE.............................

WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE ILLEGITIMATE SON OF ONE OF THE TELETUBBIES AND THE DEVIL, SO HI POINTS SUCK...
http://tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/GunSourceFrontPage/Images/HiPointPic.jpg

THEN WE HAVE THE GREATEST GUN EVER WAY BETTER THAN THE HIPOINT OR ANY OTHER GUN FOR THAT MATTER... BECAUSE AFTER ALL THE NYPD USES THEM...
http://www.pearcegrip.com/images/pg26.gif

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT.

Now how is it that hipoints are so UGLY and glocks are AWESOME?

Wiskey_33
July 17, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'm not a fan of using pot metal to build a firearm.

Steve1911
July 17, 2009, 08:44 AM
WISKEY,

2 things ...

1. It is not pot metal it is die-cast.

2. It is the same die-cast as they put into the space shuttle.

Wiskey_33
July 17, 2009, 08:47 AM
1. It is not pot metal it is die-cast.

2. It is the same die-cast as they put into the space shuttle.

Looks like I won't be going to space any time soon either.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii180/ArmedSuspect/hipoint/IMGA02751.jpg

And no, I dont' know what caused the Hi-Point in the picture to break like this, but it's obvious the materials used aren't up to standards to make a tool out of. Hot Wheels and 1:18th scale model cars, yes, firearms, no.

If I wanted to get by in life by getting the cheapest stuff possible I'd still be rocking Haynes sweat pants to work and riding my 1985 Huffy.

Steve1911
July 17, 2009, 09:07 AM
whiskey,

The holes you see in the metal, should not be there... I will give you that.

Looks like this ONE was shot into a cold mold. I have seen the same in the aerospace industry. This is an abnormality in process not the norm.

But this ONE should not make up your mind on the entire pistol. This is the first I have ever seen like this.

Can you give me more info on this...? I would love to research it. I mean, if this exploded while being shot, that is one issue... however if they hit it with a sledge hammer, that is another issue.

Oh and the die-cast they use in hot wheels, is not nearly the grade that they make hipoints and the shuttle cables out of... I can not explain it to you unless you already have knowledge of the metals in question. However, the comparison would be... hot wheels = bologna & hipoints = fillet mignon.

flight954
July 17, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm going to stand up to this claimed 100% American made gun!

100%!!!!!

I don't own one, but the range masters give it some praise. They see a lot of guns being shot, and they can be pretentious.

Put that in your shoe and eat it!!!

Hey Elvishead, I have nothing against Hi-Points. I have an old friend that has had one for about 20 years w/ countless rounds through it, it's a solid gun. I'm just sick of the same old Hi-point threads that go round and round with the same love/hate responses. By the way it's "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!":)
And that's also for you CajunBass

Wiskey_33
July 17, 2009, 09:12 AM
Steve,

Here's the thread where the picture came from:

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,15746.0.html

And as far as comparing Hi Points to filet mignon, I'd think it'd be more like 70/30 ground chuck.

Filet would be more like a nice Colt.

Kobe would be an Ed Brown.

Steve1911
July 17, 2009, 09:13 AM
Flight,

I believe he was speaking about putting your foot in your mouth... (not necessarily you...)

I could be wrong...:confused:

Steve1911
July 17, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks Wiskey :D

And as far as comparing Hi Points to filet mignon

Maybe you should go back and read it again...

Comparing the two specs between the die-casts... not the guns...

flight954
July 17, 2009, 09:39 AM
believe he was speaking about putting your foot in your mouth... (not necessarily you...)

OH, I get it
Never heard the expression before

Wiskey_33
July 17, 2009, 09:42 AM
I see...but still, having filet mignon and Hi Point in the same sentence is just weird.:D

stargazer65
July 17, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'm just sick of the same old Hi-point threads that go round and round with the same love/hate responses.

That's just the nature of the beast. Go to any hobby website and you find similar. As long as it stays civil and there's no other active thread going on why not talk about it? Some of us haven't been here long enough to participate in an active thread for every manufacturer.:)

How would it be if we were told "You can never start a new discussion about a specific gun manufacturer, only read the old ones, because all of them have been covered now" It'd be pretty dull.

Six months ago I thought a Hi-Point was a dishwasher.:D

jon_in_wv
July 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
Wow, that is some REALLY porous metal in the slide of that sucker. I'm not a fan of the Hi Points. I have the carbine but the pistols are not for me. For the price you can get a Makarov, an FEG, a used smith revolver. BUT I know a lot of people who have them and they are all well served by them.

hoytinak
July 17, 2009, 10:03 AM
I was just looking at buying a Hi-Point Carbine this weekend to replace the Beretta Cx4 Storm I used to have but after seeing that pic, I just decided I'm gonna have to save up and get another Cx4.

sltintexas
July 17, 2009, 10:09 AM
hoytinak,
Most people who don't like Hi Points admit that their carbines are good guns.

I have a 9mm carbine and 380 & never had any issues with either. My 380 will usually FTE once in a round of shooting but I'm using a brand of ammo (WWB) that is known to be problematic with HP due to the loger OAL.

Microgunner
July 17, 2009, 10:14 AM
No, I don't own or have ever fired a Hi-Point and likely never will. But you know, I don't have to take a bite out of a s**t sandwich to know I ain't going to like it.

hoytinak
July 17, 2009, 10:16 AM
Most people who don't like Hi Points admit that their carbines are good guns.

Yeah I know but I can't force myself to buy one after seeing that....just got a bad taste in my mouth.

Wiskey_33
July 17, 2009, 10:17 AM
But you know, I don't have to take a bite out of a s**t sandwich to know I ain't going to like it.

You Sir, have just made my day....:D

Te Anau
July 17, 2009, 11:17 AM
You should really educate yourself on Zamak....you may learn something useful.

jon_in_wv
July 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
The carbine doesn't use die cast parts like that slide. If you want to pay 2-3 more for the same blowback 9mm go ahead. I can't see paying that much for one when the HP will do the same thing. The only advantage the Beretta offers is the larger magazine capacity. Other than that there is only so many ways to make a blowback carbine.

Wiskey_33
July 17, 2009, 12:17 PM
You should really educate yourself on Zamak....you may learn something useful.

So that's what die cast toys are made of.;)

Microgunner
July 17, 2009, 12:18 PM
If you want to pay 2-3 more for the same blowback 9mm go ahead. I can't see paying that much for one when the HP will do the same thing.

Applying your model to something else...say cars, we would all be driving KIAs because some other autos cost 2-3 times more.

Wiskey_33
July 17, 2009, 12:22 PM
Meh,

if you're happy shooting a Hi Point, good for you, I will stick with what I've got.

DKA
July 17, 2009, 12:28 PM
Most of the people who put them down, do not own one. I say if that's what I want, that's hat I should get. After all I am the only one that I am trying to please.

neon
July 17, 2009, 12:37 PM
I just went through and re-read all the posts on this
thread.

I used to get upset when someone would come on a board
and compare their Hi Point to a Glock or other..

The Police carry Glocks and Sig Sauer for a reason. You won't
find one of them with a HP yes its true.

On the other hand think about the price. We have to compare
it with guns in (It's) price range.

I can't see anyone beating them for the money involved. Want
a cheap plinker that is not a .22? Where else are you going to
find a 9mm, .40 or .45 for under $200

Now I know the S&W Sigmas are around $300 or so for the
9mm and .40 They are almost as good as a Glock :D except
for the heavy trigger which can be fixed.

I love expensive and cheap guns. Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder. I don't go to the range to show off. ;)

Jason607
July 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
I don't like them that much but don't have anything against them. You could build an arsenal for the cost of one of the higher end pistols. They lack the quality and syfistication of most guns but most of the time they do fire rounds when the trigger is pulled, so why not.

A Hipoint is a gun that you can buy and stash away for a rainy day. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it was my last choice I wouldn't hesitate, if y'all know what I am trying to say here.

jon_in_wv
July 17, 2009, 03:36 PM
Applying your model to something else...say cars, we would all be driving KIAs because some other autos cost 2-3 times more.

That is a HUGE stretch. The blowback semi-auto is a very simple design. Regardless of whether its made by HiPoint, Beretta, Keltec, or whomever its still just the same basic design. As long as quality materials are used the difference between them are going to be slight. The Beretta may use better quality plastics and maybe a better barrel but its still just a simple blowback 9mm. Its like comparing a blowback like the Makarov to a PPK and saying the PPK is a MUCH better weapon and the much higher price of the PPK proves it. They are in essence the same design and the cost is hard to justify based on function alone. What does the Beretta do that the Hi Point does not? Other than the mags and the name the HP will throw lead just like it. Paying $500 bucks for a blowback 9mm that doesn't offer a clear advantage in functionality over something that costs a 1/3 less doesn't make sense to me. If its worth it for the mag capacity and the name, better plastic, etc.... thats something different.

Cars aren't even analogous. There are HUGE differences in quality, parts, electronics, engines, transmissions, etc..... trying to put my statement on that isn't the same by a long shot. BUT if I could pay for what is essentially the SAME car as my Honda Accord for 1/3 less your damned right I would. But a Kia is no Honda Accord. But then, do you drive a Mercedes Benz? of do you drive something that does what you want at a more reasonable price too?

Microgunner
July 17, 2009, 03:41 PM
God, I'd do just about anything to avoid depending and/or owning any Hi-Point product. Let's face it, they're cheap, cheap, cheap. My life is worth more.

Microgunner
July 17, 2009, 03:57 PM
Deleted. Getting a headache.

neon
July 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
My life is worth more.

Microgunner,

I agree with you. I don't think someone should use it for
HD. Unless thats all they got. I would trust that duty to
a better gun anyday.

I am talking about a cheap plinker at the range.

Steve1911
July 17, 2009, 04:18 PM
Whiskey,

So that's what die cast toys are made of.

Actually no. Zamak is a general term for the die cast. There are different levels and grades just like bolts.

A grade 8 bolt is much stronger than a grade 5... similarly Zamak3 and Zamak are different grades from what I can gather. The same kind of metal was used in the automotive industry. Don't know if it still is.

ophidia
July 17, 2009, 04:41 PM
They're +p rated and you never hear of any blowing up so the metal must be more than strong enough, whatever it's made of.

TMackey
July 17, 2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367728

LOL. :D

Microgunner
July 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
I am talking about a cheap plinker at the range.

If I own a quality pistol for defense, why would I want a cheapie for plinking at the range? I'd plink with the good one.

mike!
July 17, 2009, 06:03 PM
I have better guns and I still like my Hi-Point. It has been totally reliable for almost 1000 rounds. For the price, they are good firearms - as for the powdered metal slide breakage pic; send it back to the factory & it will come back like NIB. Lifetime warranty - they would probably send you a new gun if you wanted.

Microgunner
July 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
as for the powdered metal slide breakage pic; send it back to the factory & it will come back like NIB. Lifetime warranty - they would probably send you a new gun if you wanted.

Yeah, now that instills confidence. If your Hi-Point slide breaks in half mid combat, no worries, your next of kin can return it and get a brand new pistol. I'll take two. Woo hoo.

breed
July 17, 2009, 07:04 PM
i don't own one. not that i have any thing against a hp. there are just to many other hand guns out there that i would like to buy. i see nothing wrong with them. other than they are ugly as sin but so are a lot of higher priced guns. i think a lot of the hate that's sent there way has to do with the fact that you have some gun owners that go out and buy a high price gun just to carry to the range thinking it makes them look like this super cool guy. only to be showed up by some kid with a $130 gun. that shoots circles around them.

Microgunner
July 17, 2009, 07:26 PM
only to be showed up by some kid with a $130 gun. that shoots circles around them.

And you think this is a likely-hood?

w_houle
July 17, 2009, 07:38 PM
And you think this is a likely-hood?

Yup, even after being maced with BEAR SPRAY!
With a Raven 25
... and missing half the rear sight:D:p

jon_in_wv
July 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
I assume we should all avoid Glocks due to the many pics of Kabooms with them right? I would wager there are many, many thousands of the Hi Points around and very precious few broken like the one pictured. I don't think its indicative of what to expect from all of them. I have quite a few friends with HiPoints. I urged all of them to get something better but ALL of them like their Hipoints and none of them have had any problems with them.

My OFFICIAL opinion is this. Buy the carbine. Its too inexpensive not to have one. The handguns? There are too many better weapons for the price.

bhornjr
July 18, 2009, 12:25 AM
To Jon in WV,

Perhaps I am ignorant of the firearms market, but remind of any other brands of new 9 mm that a person can buy for $175 that is better than an HP.

Jason607
July 18, 2009, 01:12 AM
Keep in mind there are also worse firearms for more than a hi-point.

Hellbilly5000
July 18, 2009, 01:26 AM
I used to own a hi point carbine in 40. Loved the thing dident matter how filth it got it shot out to 130 to 150 yards accuritly. I rwgrt selling it but for some odd reason when I moved to nj the state told me it was considered an assult rid and I couldent bring it in so I sold it

CajunBass
July 18, 2009, 06:09 AM

Oddly enough. I do drive a Kia. Best cars I've ever owned I believe. Just bought a new one a few weeks ago as a matter of fact.

Now, that's not to say my Hi-Point is the best gun I've ever owned. But it's not the worst either.

BTW. Everyone talks about how big the HP is. I did some side by side pictues once of mine next to a couple of other guns noted for being good concealed carry pieces. The C-9 is bigger, no doubt about that, but it wasn't as big a difference as I thought it would be. The pictures aren't very good, but here they are. The other two guns are a Bulgarian Makarov, and a Kel-Tec P-11.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Cajunshoots007.jpg http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Cajunshoots010.jpg http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/KTHP.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Cajunshoots006.jpg http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Cajunshoots005.jpg

Yes the HP is bigger. It's especially big for a single stack 9mm. But it's not a 55 gallon barrel either.

neon
July 18, 2009, 07:05 AM
Canjunbass,

I had a friend who owned a C9 and he let me hold/fire it.

To be honest with everyone it wasn't that big of a gun?
A lot of people say they are large..and yes the .40 and .45
are big..but the C9 IMO is not that large of a frame.

I think the extra weight of these guns and size might come
in handy for new shooters. A lot of new owners go out and
buy a S&W airweight to realize later they are no fun to shoot
at the range due to recoil.

neon
July 18, 2009, 07:48 AM
I found this video on youtube that was interesting.

A guy purchased a HP .45 and when he got home he realized
it was a .40 with "45" written on the slide???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5i_2zHqkBs&feature=related

mike!
July 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
As I said, I have better guns. The Hi Point is a good gun for the price, but I would not depend on it if I were to find myself in "mid-combat" (unlikely). The times I have taken it to the range, there is nothing wrong with it.

ritepath
July 18, 2009, 09:10 AM
Why do you have to take a punch and drive out a roll pin to disassemble a Hi-point 9mm for cleaning?

Wishoot
July 18, 2009, 09:20 AM
I can't speak to the reliability of Hi-Points, but I just had the pleasure of shooting a Hi-Point 995 B yesterday. It was an absolute blast and very accurate. The owner said he's put about a thousand rounds through it without a burp.

For the price, it seems like a like of gun.

Te Anau
July 18, 2009, 10:08 AM
Let's face it.It will always drive some people insane that Hi-Point delivers a reliable & accurate gun at a great price and those who own one generally love em.Glocks have been disassembling themselves for years yet they walk on water.Some who critisize Hi-Point think their Sig Mosquito is the greatest .22lr ever.I'll take a new Hyundai or Kia over a new Toyota or Honda any day.Thats my choice & a wise decision IMHO.

Microgunner
July 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
Let's face it.It will always drive some people insane that SOME PEOPLE THINK Hi-Point delivers a reliable & accurate gun at a great price

My emphasis. There...fixed it for you. :D

Steve1911
July 18, 2009, 10:33 AM
Why do you have to take a punch and drive out a roll pin to disassemble a Hi-point 9mm for cleaning?

You don't. I talked to hi-point when I first bought mine, they told me that removing the roll pin to remove the slide is not needed.

They were right. I take mine apart only for a deep clean. (like a relaxing bath in the Ultrasonic cleaner) And then sometimes... I don't take them apart at all.

To clean them is simple since it is a blow back style.:D

flippycat
July 18, 2009, 07:35 PM
lol you all know my opinion already if you do a quick search. My opinion of them is why I picked up a slightly used just broken in 995 today ;)

To the PRO hp guys..you will never sway or deter or school any opinions here about a HP unless the company was sold to S&M or Glock. Then a more serious approach would be taken in posts from the con side to see the pro side.

Lets see from the last time i posted a round count, through both my c'9's till now ..I am at well over 3k rounds out for both combined. The 995 I just got has 200 out from the previous owner and will see double that over the next week. For me.. it is nice to buy a fun gun way under a budget and use the rest on ammo.

Though same could be said for guys who can afford higher quality firearms ..their budget is higher. I can't fault anyone for that lol..heck if mine was I would more then likely move on to bigger and better firearms. Wait..scratch that..is there any bigger then a HP???? :P

a few pics :P

The Newest edition to the family..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/prism278/995new.gif

And some of my custom c9 grip work :P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/prism278/customgrips/Grip5016.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/prism278/customgrips/Grip5014.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/prism278/customgrips/Grip66005.gif

neon
July 19, 2009, 03:06 AM
Not to Hijack this thread but, a question for you Hi Point owners
out there.

Since this is my first ever HP.. which one should I get?

It's between the 9mm, .40 and .45..

I am leaning towards the .40 and .45 as I enjoy both of
those calibers. The 9mm would be a lot cheaper to feed
at the range.

CajunBass
July 19, 2009, 05:11 AM

Get the one you want. I got a 9mm for just the reason you mentioned. At the time 9mm FMJ was about $5.00 a box. So it was cheaper to shoot than the other two. Since the only reason I wanted it was to shoot at the range, cheaper was better.

TMackey
July 19, 2009, 07:01 AM

They're cheap enough, get them all. :D

bigghoss
July 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
I'd get the .45 since the .40 is the same size

hoytinak
July 19, 2009, 11:27 AM
They're cheap enough, get them all.

Or spend that $400 on one used quality firearm that'll likely last longer than all the new Hi-Points would put together. :D

TMackey
July 19, 2009, 12:00 PM
Or spend that $400 on one used quality firearm that'll likely last longer than all the new Hi-Points would put together. :D

No problems. If he ever wears one out, send it in. HP will rebuild it or send him a new one. ;)

flippycat
July 19, 2009, 01:04 PM
Or spend that $400 on one used quality firearm that'll likely last longer than all the new Hi-Points would put together.

~start LMFAO and extreme sarcasim~ ...........yeah because there are no other model semi's except HP at the firing line that has a negative, broken or stuff just is not working right issue thread about them.~end LMFAO and extreme sarcasim~

And neon think about this when making your purchase on which model..ammo availability in your area .

In my local .. more then a box of .45 or .40 are rare to come by here, though 9mm pops up at least once a week in almost all the shops i frequent.

If you plan on enjoying your new purchase at the range I suggest something you can get ammo for.

jon_in_wv
July 19, 2009, 02:18 PM
A guy purchased a HP .45 and when he got home he realized
it was a .40 with "45" written on the slide???

What a moron. The box says 40. Even where it said 40 on the end the dealer marked out the 40 and wrote 45. At some point I bet someone put a 45 slide on the 40. Not that big a deal but I guess he learned you should check out what your buying before you put your money down on it.

Jason607
July 19, 2009, 06:00 PM
No problems. If he ever wears one out, send it in. HP will rebuild it or send him a new one.

Hopefully they are still around. HP's aren't all that popular, can't be making that much profit, and I don't see them getting any military or LE contracts. Those are factors that can make or break a company. They'll be around for a while, but not like the other manufacturers. Once someone comes out with a gun that is better for the same price, or they can make one cheaper that equal, they are done.

Then again, you never know, they might step it up some day and become a premium gun manufacturer. Kind of like Hyundia and Kia have started making some decent cars compared to the junk they used to make. Afterall, Glock started out making curtian rods.

jon_in_wv
July 19, 2009, 06:30 PM
Are you being sarcastic??

In 2007 HiPoint manufactured 25,000 380s, 52,790 9mms, 19,750 .40s, and 23, 400 .45s. For a total of 121,240 handgun.
They also made 19,200 carbines. These are pretty good numbers for being "unpopular".

Here is my source from the ATF website if you want to look it up yourself.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2007.pdf

For comparison, here are the handgun production numbers of a few of the others.

Sturm Ruger- 140,263
Kel-Tec- 103,893
S&W(MA)- 256,988
S&W(ME)- 45.635
Kimber- 55,722

EnoughGUN
July 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
I have toyed with buying one just because they are cheap, seem to be built pretty tough and I feel I could plink with it and not be so darn anal about it like I am my other guns.

Would be cool if they had a little Hi-point 4 pack like Redbull comes in with 4 guns one each in 9,40,45,380 lol. Could have a coupon for ammo in it too!

Zilmo
July 19, 2009, 08:23 PM
In 2007 HiPoint manufactured 25,000 380s, 52,790 9mms, 19,750 .40s, and 23, 400 .45s. For a total of 121,240 handgun.

Cops must be buying them all for cheap throw down guns.:D

hoytinak
July 19, 2009, 08:28 PM
I personally wouldn't even trust one to fit that role. :eek:

flippycat
July 19, 2009, 09:35 PM
I personally wouldn't even trust one to fit that role.

hoytinak is this based on your illegal throw down experience or what you read on the web? ..just asking because you seemed certain'ish about........................................... something.

hoytinak
July 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
That's a silly question to ask a stranger in public ain't it?

Lets get back on the topic of Hi-Points being junk. :D

jon_in_wv
July 20, 2009, 04:41 AM
Would you rather have a Jimenez Arms?

neon
July 20, 2009, 10:18 AM
I would say it's safe to say everyone posting on this forum
is a gun enthusiast. We all love to talk about them and
shoot them.

There's a large portion of society that is looking for a HD
gun but, are really (not into guns as we are.) For them they
may come into a store and see a gun way cheaper than the
rest.

You have a lot of folks just buying a gun to put in the drawer
never to see much action.

neon
July 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
Would you rather have a Jimenez Arms?

I always wondered why we never see arguments about Bryco,
Jennings, Cobra etc. Most of the Internet fights I have seen
has been about Hi point.

Steve1911
July 20, 2009, 11:05 AM
Neon,

I always wondered why we never see arguments about Bryco,
Jennings, Cobra etc. Most of the Internet fights I have seen
has been about Hi point.

That is because hipoints function well... a good 99% of the time... they are just as ugly as it comes. Plus, they were built to be "similar" to the almighty glock.

Which we know stirs up a whole other hornets nest.

It would also be that most people that own them like them. Those that don't like them "most of the time" don't have one, never shot one, or got ONE crappy one. Or they have heard some second hand info, of more than likely also 2nd hand info...

Jbar4Ranch
July 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
I've had two C9's and have not been able to induce a failure in either of them. Just three years back, they could be had for under a hundred bucks - Scheels in Great Falls had them for $89.99.

jon_in_wv
July 23, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think the reason we have the debate with HiPoints and not the others is that when we talk about the others, there isn't a bunch of people chiming in saying, "Mine works fine!" Its pretty well established the others are crapola.

While the Hi-Points may also be crapola, they do seem to work reasonably well. I wouldn't trade my M&P for 20 of them but thats me.

mike!
July 23, 2009, 07:54 PM
There is nothing wrong with my Hi Point, but I am beginning to have serious doubts about my Kel-Tec. It is really not accurate. The Hi-point is a lot bigger and heavier making it less easy to conceal, but the Kel-Tec won't hit where you point it.

boomstick
July 23, 2009, 08:31 PM
If I wanted to get by in life by getting the cheapest stuff possible I'd still be rocking Haynes sweat pants to work and riding my 1985 Huffy.

hahaha true^

back to the point... they do have a very reputable customer service... and i would be interested in one if they werent so dang big

sltintexas
July 24, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi points are big, ugly, heavy and rattle like a box of tic tacs... but mine keeps on chugging. Not my main range plinker but I keep it around. Bought a 380 for $89 and a 9mm carbine for $159...both new.

Venom1956
July 31, 2009, 04:24 PM
This picture made me smile...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/prism278/customgrips/Grip5014.gif
Its like all the kids, that think they drive race cars, around town putting 1000 dollars of rims & tires on their crappy rusted Honda Civic that isn't worth a 1000 dollars.

But hey if thats what makes you happy...

neon
July 31, 2009, 04:36 PM
This picture made me smile...

Did you see this one? wood grips? and a laser? :barf:

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/sameber/DSCI0130.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/sameber/DSCI0146.jpg

The thread is here http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,20234.0.html

cougar gt-e
July 31, 2009, 04:47 PM
Oh boy! All I can smell is feet....

Howie6267
August 6, 2009, 02:45 PM
I would not use a picture of a defective gun to judge wether or not I would buy one. One can find almost anything on the internet. Here is basically the same problem with a Glock. So are those who looked at the Hi Point picture and said they would not buy one also not going to buy a Glock.
http://www.frontsight.com/Images/DamagedGlock21/Glock21FrameCloseUp_640x480.gif

neon
August 7, 2009, 01:36 PM
I would not use a picture of a defective gun to judge wether or not I would buy one. One can find almost anything on the internet

I agree with you here.

I like to tease about Hi Points..lol I actually am planning on getting
one in the .45 caliber so, I can see for myself.

ophidia
August 7, 2009, 01:44 PM
My wife likes her little Hi-Point. She doesn't shoot much so it's good a decent gun can be had for so cheap and still be safe and reliable.

neon
August 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
Most of the comments I have heard from owners is they
are reliable. Thats all that really matters.

hoytinak
August 7, 2009, 03:44 PM
I know I said I'd never buy one but I just picked up an older (all metal before they made the polymer frames) C9 a couple days ago just to try one out first hand.

I've set aside 5000 rounds to go through it tomorrow and I'll try another 1000 or so every weeekend till it breaks or I run outta ammo (which won't happen any time soon). I don't believe in most "torture test" except shooting ALOT of rounds through it....so anything else REASABLE I should do for my little test on it? I'm expecting it not to make through tomorrow though but we'll see. At least this "gun snob" is willing to try first hand. :D

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1135/46160287.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/i/46160287.jpg/)

neon
August 7, 2009, 03:47 PM
hoytinak,

I am anxious to see how your test turns out.

Steve1911
August 7, 2009, 11:42 PM
I am curious too. I have never owned a metal framed hipoint.

I think those are really old. You might get a newer model and try it too.

I would think that would only be fair. Since you can not judge the glocks from today because of the ones in the early 80's in NYC.

But I am still curious to see how it performs.

I have somewhere between 8 & 10k through one of my C9's...

I hope you bought a few mags too... because if you just have the one... you probably won't get through the 5k tomorrow... And you will have some really sore fingers.

Pietro Beretta
August 8, 2009, 01:48 AM
When you fire that gun, it will most likely fire "just fine."

At the end of the day let us know if you confident about hi-points and think any of the following:
Jeeze why doesnt the Military issue these things!
OR: Ive experienced more problems with a M9.
OR:These things are tanks, they would save departments a lot of money compared to their glocks, sigs, hk's, XD's, S&W's.
OR: I would trust my life with this gun

Let us know! :D

(Don't let magazine capacity have anything to do with judgment)

hoytinak
August 8, 2009, 11:17 PM
Well, I only put 100 rounds through it before I gave up. It's prolly just the mags as the it was failing to feed the last round everytime. It did it with both mags and about 10 different types of ammo (FMJ & JHP). I don't feel like messing with it through Hi-Point so I already sold it. Other than that, it was very accurate and had a nice trigger. Hey at least I tried one for myself...now I can bash them. :D