PDA

View Full Version : Please rate my 270 hunting rounds

mpstan
July 8, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been reloading for less than a year and have owned rifles for about the same time. I've never hunted but hope to this Fall in an area where there are both whitetails and muledeer (Eastern WA)

I've accumulated lots of bullets through estate sales etc. I will not be buying TSX, Partition or other highly regarded bullets. Would you help me prioritize which bullets you'd recommend, assuming they are accurate when I test them?

Nosler 130 grain ballistic tip
Hornady Interlock 130 grain
Sierra 130 grain Gameking softpoint
Sierra 130 grain ProHunter
Sierra 140 grain Gameking Hollowpoint

Thank you!

PTS1
July 8, 2009, 09:15 AM
I will recommend any of the ones listed. All are very good for deer sized game and even elk (although I would not use the ballistic tip for elk and only take broadside shots). Find the ones your rifle likes and use them without any worries. I personally have found the hollow point gamekings to be the most accurate.

Buzzcook
July 8, 2009, 09:32 AM
+1 on any of the above.
I've used Hornady for many years with success.

DiscoRacing
July 8, 2009, 09:32 AM
i would use either of the gameking first.... prohunter has a flat base...boat tail is more accurate at longer ranges.... thats my op of course... i use sierra bullets all the time.

Palmetto-Pride
July 8, 2009, 09:44 AM
Nix the Nosler 130 grain ballistic tip.

Hornady is all I use and I very rarely have to go searching for a deer I shot.

machurtado
July 8, 2009, 09:50 AM
The 130 gr nosler ballistic tips is all that I use my 270 win and my 270 wetherby mag. Also use the hornady in my 30-06.

Art Eatman
July 8, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'd load a half-dozen of each. I'd test at the benchrest by doing two three-shot groups with each load to see which gives the tightest group.

I've never seen where it makes any difference what bullet gets used, as long as you hit right where you're aiming.

stin303
July 8, 2009, 10:26 AM
sierra 130 grain prohunter if it groups good

GeauxTide
July 8, 2009, 11:13 AM
1. Hornady
2. Nosler

kenjs1
July 8, 2009, 11:49 AM
At 270 speeds I stick with Hornady's over Gamekings because they are stouter. I have used the 130's but get my best results with 140's. I would use an Interlock in anything but reserve Gamekings for rounds with a little less velocity. My absolute favorite deer round for my most common hunting, however, is my 260Rem with a 140grain Gameking. The softer gameking opens well but stays together at muzzle velocities like this (below 2800fps) and the higher sectional density is a benefit towards a complete pass through. It has been perfection so far. I just try to match all factors in what I use. Just one mans opinoin.

taylorce1
July 8, 2009, 01:34 PM
For deer and smaller I've had great luck with H4831 and Hornady Interlock and Sierra Gameking. The Sierra's are the ones I've pretty much relied on the last few years. Never had one come apart on me at any range on deer or pronghorn. I don't try shooting through heavy bone either and that helps.