PDA

View Full Version : tactical 870

TCman
July 6, 2009, 10:50 PM
Sinsce I have 2 870 I have decided I am going to make one into a tactical shot gun. Im starting with a 870 express magnum w/ a black synthetic stock. I am looking into adding these:

Scattergun Tech +2 extension left sling mount
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=148854

Midwest Industries left sling stud
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=850559

Mesa Tactical 8 round Sureshell ammo carrier left side
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=173712

Mesa Tactical 4 round Sureshell ammo carrier right side

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=192325 (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=192325)

Meprolight Tritium rifle sights
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=530349

Mesa Tactical magazine tube clamp
http://estore.websitepros.com/1891705/Detail.bok?no=418

I am going to shorten the factory forend myself and remove the factory mag tube dimple. Can you see any problems with this setup?

hogdogs
July 6, 2009, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't want all them additions if tactical is HD.
Mesa Tactical 8 round Sureshell ammo carrier left side
Mesa Tactical 4 round Sureshell ammo carrier right side
I wouldn't want this weight on my HD gun or any gun I have to carry.
With a sling in the woods, I wouldn't expect all the ammo to stay with the gun. In "urban combat" you won't need to be far enuff from the house to need 12 back up rounds...
No sling for HD but never without a standard bottom sling option for carry.
This is just my druthers and your mileage is free to vary....
Plain and simple for me.
Brent

oneounceload
July 7, 2009, 09:24 AM
Personally, I agree with Brent - I added one side saddle to a 500.....that was the end of extras for a HD gun....I have no need for a sling that could get snagged or grabbed by someone. If I HAD to add something else, it would probably be a light......but if I'm hunkering down in the bedroom, whomever comes through the door will be getting met by the load in the gun. With no kids at home anymore, no issue there.

7jinxed7
July 23, 2009, 09:43 PM
I bought a mesa tactical 6 shot shell holder.Great product easy to install but does require a shorter forend like the speedfeed forend which is alot more comfortable than the original anyway.

Bill G870
July 24, 2009, 12:59 AM
The Rem 870 is a great Shotgun to build on, I had mine worked over by NightHawk Tactical (Custom) I decided on the 4 Shell Mesa Tactical shell holder to keep the weight down on the reciever for home defence and the Mesa Tactical adjustable pistol grip stock with the shock absorbtion feature.

I also went with the quick release sling swivels, one hooks to the Mesa Tac barrel clamp and the other to the GG&G quick release sling thing mounted to the stock so I can attach the sling when needed for field use or class use for training.

I also attached a Wilson Combat quad rail forend with XT rail covers and a TLR 1 Led Tactical weapons light at the 3 o clock position, this allows me to activate the light with my pointer finger to the momentary on position or the steady on position easily depending on which way I finger the switch at the back of the TLR 1 weapons light. This set up works great and keeps the weight down compaired to the SureFire light forend set up. The shotgun is well balanced set up this way for home defence or Tactical use.:D

Take Care,
Bill G870

scorpion_tyr
July 25, 2009, 03:55 AM
That's a LOT of extra weight to add. Unless you're a big 'ol boy, I'd just throw a +2 extension, and a flashlight on and call it that.

If you have the money to blow, go for it. As soon as you add on the shell carriers and load them up you'll know right away if you want to leave them on or not. If you're still not sure, do a few drills around the house.

I added a 6 shell holder to the side of one of my 870's. That gun sits in the closet and is for zombies only. The primary HD shotgun has nothing but a shurshot stock, elastic shell holder on the stock for the slugs, and a +2 extension.

eclipsetactical
July 25, 2009, 06:51 AM
I can help you deck that 870 all the way out. I keep most of the parts in stock for tactical shotguns. Built one or 2 myself lol. Sarcasim. I cant count how many I have built. I would go with the following.

Mag Extention
Extention clamp
M4 Style 6 possition rear stock with 5 shell holder
870 Top weaver rail mount
Sightmark Reflex/holo sights with or without the laser (this gives you ultra fast target aquisition)
Heat shield (just for looks or you could get the one with ghost sights incase you ever want to shoot without your holo sights)
Front Single Rail Mount that fits on Barrel (this is for your light)
Tactical Flashlight with depresion switch

Shoot me an email I can hook you up with pretty much everything you need. I will make you a package deal price.

Ben
Eclipse Tactical

Here is my personal Mossberg 590:

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/eclipsetactical/100_0083.jpg
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/eclipsetactical/100_0084.jpg
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/eclipsetactical/100_0085.jpg
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/eclipsetactical/100_0086.jpg

bigghoss
July 25, 2009, 12:01 PM
your gun is going to be noticeably heavier but at least you've picked quality stuff rather than cheap junk

TCman
July 26, 2009, 12:08 AM
I installed the scattergun tech tube and meprolight sights. The sights seem pretty much like factory sights in the day time which I am a big fan of. The tube also seems very well made and beefy. I got a surefire forend from a friend that seems better than other clamp on lights. just waiting on the mag tube clamp and side saddles.

colostomyclown
July 26, 2009, 12:58 AM
I agree with hogdogs. I myself probably wouldn't want or need that much ammo onboard to add heft and bulk. If you're in that heinous of a situation, just have a tacvest with body armor and molle pouches to hold rounds lol.And I'd go with a 6 round sidesaddle instead of an 8, as that's the exact capacity of your magtube (makes it a little neater and easier for :muscle memory"/practice) and instead of the rifle sights I'd get a bead, but Meprolight just the same. But everything else would be fine. Just my .02

Dave McC
July 26, 2009, 08:23 PM
How much ammo have you bought for this?

That should be your first purchase.

After a thousand rounds, you'll have a better idea of what your shotgun "Needs".....

Cruncher Block
July 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have the Scattergun Tech extension. It is certainly well-made and durable.

However, I stopped using it because it had a tendency to unscrew while firing.

I tried a Choate extension and found that their clamp across the barrel and the extension kept the extension from unscrewing. I've stayed with that for some time with no issues.

Also, as others have said, that much ammo carried in sidesaddles is going to be heavy.

As always, Dave McC speaks wisdom. When I first got an 870, I started wondering what all I had to add to it. The more I shot it, the less stuff I wanted on it. I'm down to the Choate extension, a SureFire forearm, and a sling. If I had to use a shotgun for defense, I'd take a stock 870 I had worn in myself over a well-equipped gun I had barely shot. (This is not meant to imply that those with well-equipped guns don't shoot them much.)

dpturbo29
July 31, 2009, 11:11 PM
When my 870 Super Mag was rendered obsolete by my acquisition of an Xtrema II for duck hunting I went about outfitting it for HD. I added a Knox Spec Ops NR stock and an Remington 18" BS barrel. I'm thinking about a shell carrier and a light, but haven't made my decisions yet.

I don't think a sling is wise for HD. I can see having attachment points installed, but as someone mentioned earlier it is one more thing for someone to grab. In addition, if you ever hear that sickening "click" and the fight isn't over you may want to turn that 870 into a Louisville Slugger in a big hurry.

The one "tacticool" accessory I don't understand is the heat shield. Really? For some reason I've never needed one while firing hundreds of rounds in a hot dove field, but whoever makes these things wants me to think my barrel will become untouchably hot after a few rounds fired in self defense. Gee - sign me up! Let me throw some hard earned cash down the toilet for a scrap piece of punched crap I can drape over my barrel adding muzzle weight I was trying to eliminate by installing the shorter barrel in the first place.

Sorry about the rant - I just really hate those heat shield things. They're like fancy wheels on a truck. A waste of money and they're usually detrimental to performance.

hogdogs
July 31, 2009, 11:32 PM
Oh the lowly heat shield!
I never owned one! I bet that if you get the barrel really hot... the shield is gonna get uncomfortably hot too... and it will slow the cooling of the barrel.

I would be lying like a rug to cite a certain number of rounds I fired in HASTE!!!
It was a picnic table full of 5 round groups stood on the brass. 7 1/2 and 8 low brass "promo" loads. It was a full middle of summer mid day in central florida. SWELTERING is nearing a fair description. I was the owner of a HIGHLY LUCRATIVE little dump truck operation and money was literally not an issue. I had been told by a buddy that mossberg barrels were too thin for sustained fire. I set about literally trying to get it to glow red as my buddy said was easy with the thin wall barrel. I rapid fired and reloaded until the heat coming off the gun from hip shoot level was noticeable above the ambient heat. I was about done with what I had layed out and no GLOW so I set the gun on the table and lit a smoke, popped a top and kicked the hulls into one smaller circle. I then put down the beverage and grabbed my gun by the barrel/mag tube! :eek: It sizzled the condensation from the can on my hand and I "set" the gun back down... OKAY BALD FACE LIE... I dropped it...:o I had failed to open the action to allow more airflow and it hadn't cooled far enuf! I didn't by a heat shield as i was now well trained to avoid hot barrels and realized I would likely never do such a torture test again. That barrel is still the only one that I have had on that 500!
NOPE!!! No sissy sheild fer me!
Brent

Nick-Mc
August 1, 2009, 12:31 AM
Take the bayonet off of the shotgun....completely unnecessary

SmokeyVol
August 8, 2009, 01:22 PM
That is a mall ninja pipe dream. You guys watch too many cartoons.

inSight-NEO
August 8, 2009, 04:57 PM
The only real thing I have an issue with here is the use of two ammo carriers. Not a great idea IMHO. To expand on this, if you are set on going with such a carrier (nothing wrong with that), might I suggest using the 4 shell version on one side only. Im of the opinion that if 4 extra shells wont do during an HD encounter, well....

Also, those carriers will get in the way once you sling up (more for fabric to "catch"). Dealing with one side is OK...having to deal with carriers on both sides...nah.

In addition, using the 4 shell version should eliminate any worries about too much weight (once loaded) and whether or not any modifications would need to be made in order to accomodate a longer carrier.

Of course, none of this stuff is going to help much if you dont know this weapon like the back of your hand...and can hit with it.

BTW- If this gun is for HD use, when its sitting around at home (if you havent thought of this already) I would strongly suggest you take the sling off the gun. Getting caught up in that sling or having it snag on something when you need that gun to save your life would prove dire indeed.

Just my 2 cents...