PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shoot your rifle?

sonogy47
July 2, 2009, 10:08 PM
I shoot my rifles outdoors at my family property in a rural area. My local range is indoor and it costs $10 for 30 minutes with a rifle. That is expensive. I don't like the indoor range because it is too noisy and I'm paranoid about people who might not know what they are doing. Also the gun smoke is really thick and tough to breathe.

Redneck1616
July 2, 2009, 10:13 PM
There are no ranges around me, so all my shooting is done on my homemade range.

cornbush
July 2, 2009, 10:21 PM
I go out on BLM land and shoot to my hearts content all day in any direction for free. Public land is all over so I see no point in going to the range even if it is only 7 bucks a day.

Fat White Boy
July 2, 2009, 10:23 PM
You are lucky. We have some indoor ranges for pistol and .22 but for rifle, I now have to drive out to Burro Canyon, about 45 minutes from where I live (10 Minutes from Disneyland). We used to have a really nice range at San Gabriel Valley Rod and Gun Club but it has been shut down as civilization crept too close. Raahauge's Shotgun Sports in Corona is about 20 minutes away...We can hunt out in the desert but target shooting is allowed only in designated areas, thanks to the gangbangers...

DanThaMan
July 2, 2009, 10:23 PM
I shoot at an outdoor range about 45 minutes from my house... it is SO worth the drive too! The range has a plinking pit that looks like ten tons of dynamite was set off on two football fields, a rifle range, a skeet shooting range, a pistol range, and an auxiliary range. It is the funnest range I have ever been to. It's called Buffalo Shooting Range (http://www.buffalorangeshootingpark.com/) in Ottawa, IL. It gets better lol, the wife of the range owner hosts a pig roast pretty frequently, any shooter can grab a plate for free and it is delicious. There are always grills set up, the smell of hot dogs and burgers is never absent from the range. Also, Appleseed, the best marksmanship program I know of, is hosted at the range about once a month in season. The range guards are so nice, a couple of times, when they're showing off their custom 1911's on their belts, they see me eyeing it and will let me shoot it. Most frequent shooters are on a first name basis with the safety officers. They have an uncertified gunsmith on cite, although i vouche for him and will confidently say he's better than 95% of certified or schooled gunsmiths. Most of the little stuff he has done for me was paid for with a drink. I love my range. :D

JWT
July 2, 2009, 10:35 PM
At a county run range. Cost $4 per day plus $.25 for a paper target. Very well run facility.

ndking1126
July 2, 2009, 10:53 PM
My property owners association has a range. Well maintianed, 100 yards, and has super solid benches or plenty of space to shoot prone. Unfortunately it's on the other side of town, so about 35-40 minutes away (or longer if you get caught behind an old person driving slowly, which is always a possibility). Only cost is my $24 a month poa due. Worth every penny considering everything else that comes with it. Open whenever the sun is up.

I'm surprised when there is more than one other party shooting. Lots of times it's only me.

Telgriff
July 2, 2009, 10:53 PM
No properties that I can shoot, so go to the rifle range. Pretty decent range folks, pity it closes every time it rains (which is often) and only open one day a week.

Clone
July 2, 2009, 11:45 PM
A 7000 acre cattle farm. Ground hog's, coyote's, and sparrows are all on the pest list and there are loads of them. There is always something new to explore. There is nothing like spending a few days in the wild. *Ohhh home, home on the range.* :D

Stevie-Ray
July 2, 2009, 11:52 PM
A state range, but it's a haul. I yearn for the days of going up north and finding a dry wash or sand pit to plink in. Maybe some day again.

Crankylove
July 3, 2009, 12:10 AM
I go out on BLM land and shoot to my hearts content all day in any direction for free. Public land is all over so I see no point in going to the range even if it is only 7 bucks a day.

What he said. There are half a dozen ranges within 30 min of us, some some indoor, some outdoor. Throw in another 15-30 minutes travel time to hit the desert or mountains, and you are the only one for several square miles. Quite often when we shoot on BLM land, we don't see, or hear another person all day.......its quite nice.

Come and take it.
July 3, 2009, 12:21 AM
I guess I am luckier than I realized. I have a few places on private lands I can go to to shoot.

LoneStarWings
July 3, 2009, 12:31 AM
I live in a fairly large city and usually shoot at an indoor range for $15/hr. It's about 10 minutes from my condo.

I am trying to get into the local rifle club which has a dozen pistol lanes and 100,200,&300yd rifle ranges but it requires a sunday orientation and I can't get weekend off. It would be $60/yr. It's about 30 minutes from my place.

Pathfinder45
July 3, 2009, 12:35 AM
Mount Hood National Forest, usually. I need to get into the wild as much or more than shooting. That way I can acomplish both.

Carne Frio
July 3, 2009, 12:43 AM
I use a free, public range. It's about 5 miles from my house.:D

Cabnetman
July 3, 2009, 12:53 AM
I guess I'm very lucky. I shoot off my back porch and shoot almost every day.

riggins_83
July 3, 2009, 01:37 AM
I don't have the 35 acres I used to :(. Shoot at an ourdoor range max 200 yards min 7 yards (pistol and rifle). $10 for the day.

nimbleVagrant
July 3, 2009, 01:45 AM
I'm not into single feeding my AR at the local club so I do most of my shooting on my buddy's property and BLM land.

PetahW
July 3, 2009, 07:32 AM
I have unlimited/unrestricted free access to either an indoor range, or four outdoor ranges (25yd/50yd/100yd/200yd) at a gun club, about 10 miles from my suburban residence - via my annual membership dues of $75/yr, which includes a 50% senior discount.

smoakingun
July 3, 2009, 08:36 AM
two ranges, one 50-300yds, and one 7-25yds right here at home

bobn
July 3, 2009, 09:05 AM
around the woods in my area. not really enough room but the neihbors all deer hunt in the fall. so as long as i dont shoot cannons they dont dare complain too much. thats one of the reasons i like pistol round carbines so much. push comes to shove, i cant shoot then niether can they hunt.
.....there is a local range that costs 25 a year. otherwise its a hour or so drive to a real range. bobn

lockedcj7
July 3, 2009, 09:17 AM
On my own private land. I have a 35 acre pasture that my house sits in and I shoot from behind my workshop. I made a bench out of concrete and I can shoot anywhere from point-blank out to 400 yds.

I also have friends with private land and we shoot there sometimes.

Brian Pfleuger
July 3, 2009, 09:43 AM
Our own camp or farmers alfalfa/clover fields.

Evan Thomas
July 3, 2009, 10:43 AM
Up north, we have a very fine sand pit about 5 minutes away. :D

In the city, it's mostly the air rifle in the basement. Range fees get expensive... but I go through a lot of pellets down there. :)

Dustin0
July 3, 2009, 10:46 AM
Knob 10 bucks day can shot anything you want.

armsmaster270
July 3, 2009, 10:47 AM

One more vote Sometimes I pack the gear and stay for a few days

STEINER
July 3, 2009, 01:13 PM
You guys that shoot off your porch make me feel bad. Lucky dogs!
I shoot at a real well kept outdoor range near Ione, California. About 30 minutes from my front porch. 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards.
$10.00 all day.

James R. Burke
July 3, 2009, 07:34 PM
I have three places I shoot at depending on what I am doing. I belong to a club thats 25.00 per year. They have a indoor small bore range, and a outside range. For working up loads there is a range about two miles from my house that cost 5.00 a year. Its really nice. Benchs roof, about ten stations, and target set ups from 25 yards two 100 yards. Sometimes there can be a bunch of folks there, and I feel better alone or with less people. But for working up loads it is very close, and I try to go like at about 6:00 a.m. no one there. For playing around, and practice there is a big gravel pit we are aloud to shoot at max range about 300 yards with gravel hills about 50 feet high all around it so it is real safe. Most the time there is no one there, and if there is it has alot of room. I guess I am lucky on being able to shoot in alot of places.

beerengineer
July 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
I put together a 100 yard range in my back yard and use it 3 to 4 trimes a week. My mentor, shooting coach, and good friend has a 1000 yard range on his property 8 minutes from my front door. I won't go into all the amenities that this range has, I'll just say he is a world champion .50 cal shooter and knows how to set up a first class operation.

TimT
July 3, 2009, 09:19 PM
Have a couple local free ranges bout 15 minutes door to trigger.

On one, I am usually the only one there, but is only one 50 yard range, and one 100 yard range.

The other is usually empty during the week, but can have a few people on the weekend, but it has 200, 100, and 50 yard ranges.

Tenacious B
July 3, 2009, 11:40 PM
Outdoor public range about 20 miles away, $8/day and run well. There are indoor ranges closer, but most of them aren't so nice and I like being outside after being stuck at a desk all week. There is also a private club nearby that is supposed to be really nice, but I'm not sure if that is for me at this point.

The owner of my local gun shop says he is in the process of opening a range and that it should be up around the end of the year, his plans sounded top notch so I hope it comes into being.

GLK
July 4, 2009, 12:18 AM
Depends on what I am shooting at:D, for punching paper busting clays and clanging metal plates out to 200 yards I shoot at my own property. There are also tons of critters to harvest and varmints to blast, not really hunting though more like ambushing. Below is 125yds to the silhouette target in the center, also have handgun berm for shooting from point blank to 35yds. I never forget how lucky I am.
http://photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/guns/websize/DSC02272.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/guns/websize/DSC02277.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/guns/websize/DSC02276.JPG

Ignition Override
July 4, 2009, 12:49 AM
Well...into a deep river near two small towns, surrounded by about a mile of tree/brush-covered farmland. All rounds are at a good downward angle and all energy is absorbed by mud.
Other guys sometimes shoot from the bridge (very light traffic) but after a few times on it, decided to go into the trees from 20-100 yards and keep a much lower profile.

The idea came from a chat with a Deputy in the first town's post office. His suggestion was 100 yards from any road.

Owens187
July 4, 2009, 02:58 AM
My back yard! (10 acres):D

Or for a change of pace, the millions of acres of BLM/Forest land around here.....:p

tovarich
July 4, 2009, 07:06 AM
In our shooting club we have about 12 indoor places to shoot in an old fort(1860)The fort is surrounded by water.From outside you cant hear a thing. It's only one kilometer from my home. We can also shoot at a military range of 100 metres but that's about 30 km away.Our club fee is about 158 US $ per year.We can shoot mon-wed-fri-from 7 to 12 pm and on sat-sun from 9-12am. mil range only sunday afternoon.Paul

curtismann
July 5, 2009, 11:10 AM
Clearcuts.
After a little scouting and some rangefindering, I've got my own 500+ yd. range with stumps/target stands every few yards.
And all this within 20 minutes of my house. Thank you Oregon timber industry.

Composer_1777
July 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
I have to drive about an hour away to shoot at an outdoor range.

I live in a metro area outside of New Orleans. We only have indoor ranges and you can't use rifles at all ; very expensive to - Like 17$ an hour +5$ if you have someone with you.

RockyTop
July 6, 2009, 12:18 PM
A buddy of mine recently setup up a place on his property and told me I can come out a shoot anytime I want. It's nice to have a place to shoot...and for free. He lives about 20 miles outside of town which is a relatively short drive.
I've always lived in suburbia, but I definitely see the benefits now of owning some sizeable property.

Uncle H
July 6, 2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.kettlefootforum.com is where I shoot. It's private and maybe 65.00 a year (Sr. rate) and the members keep it in good shape.

oneounceload
July 6, 2009, 12:54 PM
When I lived in northern NV, we had a city park with rifle, pistol and machine gun sections - all free.. Of course we also had BLM land where you could do anything short or nuke tests...(they had a special place for that closer to Vegas). Here in FL, there is a sporting clays course that also has a pistol range, 300 yard rifle, and a separate 600 yard rifle range.

gun nut
July 6, 2009, 01:08 PM
Shoot on our own property. No ranges close by.

Distortion
July 7, 2009, 09:36 PM
I shoot my rifles in a swamp (http://www.honeyisland.org/).

DiscoRacing
July 7, 2009, 09:38 PM
we are fortunate enough to have a private range of our own... have targets at 13yds, 25 yds, 40 yds, 50 yds, 100 yds, and 400 yds....