PDA

View Full Version : Looking to share a room at Front Sight, 9/25-28/09

dbarrym
July 2, 2009, 02:12 AM
Just signed up for my next class (4th one) at Front Sight, on 9/25-28.

4 day practical rifle...time to learn the art of the "evil black rifle". Recently picked up an AR-15 ...after 3 handgun classes, now it's time to learn how to use it properly.

Looking for anyone attending in September that wants to share a hotel room or RV, let me know. The 2 and 4 day handgun and shotgun classes start the same time, no need to attend the same class as me. Don't want to embarrass you... ;)

I shared a room with a guy from Calguns.net in June and it worked out great, I'm driving out, so this is ideal for anyone flying in - I can pick you at at the airport and provide transportation.

PM or Email if interested.

fastforty
July 2, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'd love to get out there for another course, but it probably won't be on my calendar :(

I will give you a piece of advice though. Get a good "kidney belt" before you go, and wear it all weekend. You can find one at any off road motorcycle shop. It's a very wide elastic band that wraps around you, just below the rib cage.

Why?

Many of the rifle drills are "drop to prone & fire". The first time I took the rifle class (10 years ago & I still thought I was 18 years old, LOL), I was *always* the first shot off on *every* drill. I had elbow & knee pads & I was not going to settle for being "first loser" in a gunfight. From standing w/rifle slung on shoulder to prone shot taken, 1.5 seconds is a respectable time (though three seconds will get you by). I was beating that time (1.5 seconds) so far that anyone just under it would never have seen their sights or touched their trigger before they were dead (about 1/2 of the class was barely starting to stoop down when my shot went off). The price that I paid was heavy. Not sure if I finished the class with a ruptured spleen or just severely bruised internal organs. I was incapacitated for over a week, I seriously thought I was gonna die. The only thing that even came close was the ONE time that I rode an 80 mile desert race after leaving my kidney belt at home, & I'd do that every weekend for the rest of my life before I'd take another rifle class without the belt.

But, if you're not concerned with speed & don't mind taking 3-5 seconds (or more) to get into firing position, take the class without the belt, it will still be a blast :)

dbarrym
July 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the info -I'll look into it!

I have an injured left shoulder that limits my range of motion, so I'm not going to be looking to set any records - as long as I can stay under the timer limits, I'm happy.

In fact, I have avoided using long guns because of this, but I'm pretty sure my lightweight Bushmaster should be OK. We'll see.

Barry

Old Wanderer
July 2, 2009, 06:41 PM
Like they say timing is everything.....I will be there the week before for the 4 day shotgun class and the week after for the 4 day pistol class....:confused:

dbarrym
July 2, 2009, 07:10 PM
Why not schedule the classes back to back? Only 3 days of downtime, you could spend those in Vegas...:D

Barry

Old Wanderer
July 5, 2009, 02:39 PM
I am an instructor (aircraft), and have classes already scheduled. Plus I have a gazillion frequent flier miles, so it is just keeps the money coming in, and the training moving ahead...

I actually have 3 classes scheduled at Front Sight:

9/4-5......Edge Weapons
9/18-21 Shotgun
10/9-12 Handgun

I already have rooms reserved at Saddle West, so if anyone want to share let me know.

dbarrym
July 6, 2009, 12:15 AM
OW - Thought I could change my class schedule to maybe match up, but alas, the Practical Rifle class dates don't align.

Would be interesting to meet you as I'm a former ATP (furloughed in 1987) and never went back to the industry...my shoulder injury is related.

Oh well, have fun!

Barry