PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Sights - Rock Island Armory Tactical

Texas Rifleman
June 29, 2009, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know what sights will fit on this gun? Has anyone replaced the sights on their RIA Tactical? Are there dovetail dimensions I need to know or can I just buy some Novak sights for it?

Thanks

CzCasull
June 29, 2009, 02:15 AM
I'm under the impression that they are Novak compatible after researching them today. I may be wrong.

WC145
June 29, 2009, 05:44 AM
I've read that the dove tails are industry standard Colt size. In fact everything about the RIAs is supposed to be Colt compatible so all the accessories on the market should fit.

David the Gnome
June 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
It's a Novak cut but it can still require a little fitting to replace the factory sights with real Novaks. Some people have good luck dropping them right in, others require a lot of work. I think it depends on when your gun was manufactured.

michael t
June 29, 2009, 12:43 PM
Send the slide to Novak and let them install Then you know will be done right.

Technosavant
June 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
They look to be a standard Novak cut. I'll echo Michael- if the sights hit to where you want, just send the slide to Novak and have them do the replacing.

Viper1956
July 1, 2009, 07:58 AM
Just purchased a RIA Compact Tactical. Have not had time to fire it, but the tactical trigger is very nice - no creep, breaks clean. In reference to the aftermarket sight question. I just got off the phone with Novaks in WV. They informed me that the sight groove (dovetails) for RIA are about .83 inch, whereas Kimber, Springfield etc average .70 inch. None of the current aftermarket 1911 sights will fit an RIA. Guess we have to wait for the market to catch up.

Texas Rifleman
July 1, 2009, 12:26 PM
^^^^^^^

I don't know how true that can be since in the last three days I have found several people who have put aftermarket sights on their Tactical RIA and even Novak sights.

Viper1956
July 2, 2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks Texas. Just going by what the Novak rep told me on the phone. I would love a set of Novaks - especially the new fiber optic one.