PDA

View Full Version : nipple change

countryboywithgun
June 22, 2009, 11:05 PM
how often should i change out nipples??? is it just when the caps don't fit or is there some kind of thumb rule??:confused:

Fingers McGee
June 22, 2009, 11:34 PM
IMHO all C&Bs should have Treso nipples installed prior to any shooting (except maybe ROAs). Once I installed Treso nipples on my revolvers, I haven't seen the need to change them again, and most have >1000 rounds through them. Adjusted properly, the hammer never touches the nipple, so mushrooming isnt a problem, and the Ampco alloy of the Tresos prevents flash hole errosion. Those would be the only reasons I can think of to change nipples.

Pahoo
June 23, 2009, 01:10 PM
Would have to be in agreement with Fingers on the Treso nipples. The only times I change a nipple is to upgrade on an obviously inferior nipple or if I start having problems. The last one I changed was on a CVA and the #11's were too loose on the cone. Changes to a hot-shot and the fit was tighter. Had some cap misfires and polishished the cone. Then I printed the cap for contact till it was just touching. The problems went away except when the cone gets some carbon fouling. I just clean it about ever five or six shots. I print the cap by applying some black permanent marker or bluing to the contact area of the nipple, press the cap on and look inside for the print. A light print is good enough as the hammer or striker till take care of the rest.

Be Safe !!!

ClemBert
June 23, 2009, 08:28 PM
The nipples on my ROA, out of the box, work great, no need to change them out. The nipples on my Uberti made 1858 didn't perform well with any cap so I replaced them with Treso nipples. As long as the nipples work well with caps that fit well there is no need to change them.

long rider
June 23, 2009, 09:27 PM
I have a old asm 58 it is 14 years old, and it still
as the same nips it came with, and still smacks
them there caps :eek: god only knows how many
round balls i have sent screaming down range.
all the #11s nips are all #10 nips, i turn them down
so all nips are #10, reason being i have gazillons of
#10 cci, i recon they will out last me,:eek:.:D

SamStafford
June 24, 2009, 04:11 AM
I agree with long rider. ;)

madcratebuilder
June 24, 2009, 07:11 AM
all the #11s nips are all #10 nips, i turn them down
so all nips are #10,

+1
I have turned down several sets on Pietta and Uberti revolvers and it has worked out great for me.

Noz
June 24, 2009, 09:40 AM
If your hammers are not adjusted so precisely that they never touch the nipples and you begin to see a little mushrooming, take the offending nipples out chuck them by the threads into a cordless (turns slower) drill and rotate the "mushroom" against a clean file. Just clean up the protruding edge. Put them back in and shoot for another year or so.