PDA

View Full Version : Glock in .38 Super?

Tatsumi67
June 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
Has it been done? Would you buy it?

txstang84
June 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

I believe I might...I have yet to get a .38 Super anything, but it sure is tempting...

RT
June 17, 2009, 11:28 AM
What benefit over the preexisting Glocks in .357 SIG? I am not trying to argue. I have never shot .38 Super so I just want to get educated.

precision_shooter
June 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
I voted no. I am a glock person but just don't see the need for the 38 Super. I mean we have everything, 9mm, 10mm, .40 S & W, .357 Sig, .45ACP, .45GAP, I don't see any role that the 38 super would fill that is not already filled by one of the calibers listed above.

gb_in_ga
June 17, 2009, 11:38 AM
Nope. I'm not a Glock person.

txstang84
June 17, 2009, 11:43 AM
I don't see any role that the 38 super would fill that is not already filled by one of the calibers listed above.

Although I see your logic, since when has that ever stopped an arms manufacturer from producing a model that wasn't really needed? :rolleyes:

But, you're probably right. If they introduced one, and it never "took off," they'd lose money. I still think though, there would be at least the same kind of buyers grabbing them up as there are for the .45GAP or .357SIG...

brickeyee
June 17, 2009, 11:51 AM
They are going to have the same problem that led to the .45 GAP.

A .38 super is the same length as a .45 ACP (give or take a few hundredths).

JackL
June 17, 2009, 12:02 PM
Just on the basis of the numbers, if we're talking about a defensive pistol I wouldn't bother.

125 grain JHP loads from several manufacturers are readily available for the .357 Sig, generating a claimed MV of 1350. Off hand I'm not even seeing any factory JHP loads for the .38 Super, and the available 130 grain hardball is considerably slower than the .357 Sig (1200 fps claimed). Unless I'm overlooking something, these factors make the .38 Super a handloading proposition only--with any functional and legal risks that might involve--and the old round would probably have to be loaded fairly hot to match the .357 Sig.

Plus, I'd bet the Sig round cycles more reliably. To be fair, though, that's a guess.

There might be a niche for the .38 Super in one or another of the tactical shooting games, but that's so Not My Field that I won't even guess at it.

Oh, and if owning (and liking) a G19 makes me a 'Glock person', apparently I qualify on that count ... even if I still like K-frames, Ruger handguns, and P35s too.

#18indycolts
June 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
its like the glock 25/28, the .380, i wanted 1 for my wife but couldn't find 1...so i got a 26 instead.

publius
June 17, 2009, 12:14 PM
357 Sig does pretty much the same thing.

mavracer
June 17, 2009, 12:29 PM
I voted no. I am a glock person but just don't see the need for the 38 Super. I mean we have everything, 9mm, 10mm, .40 S & W, .357 Sig, .45ACP, .45GAP, I don't see any role that the 38 super would fill that is not already filled by one of the calibers listed above.

357 Sig does pretty much the same thing.

I'm not a glock fan. however I do like the old 38 super. I find people using the fact that the .357 sig exists that the 38 super is unnecessary amusingly ironic.

precision_shooter
June 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not a glock fan. however I do like the old 38 super. I find people using the fact that the .357 sig exists that the 38 super is unnecessary amusingly ironic.

Why is it Ironic? The .38 super is already small enough to fit in a standard size auto. The intent of the .357 Sig (which I own, Glock M32) was to try and duplicate the ballistics of the .357 Mag but fit in a standard size auto pistol. They came very close to doing just that. I don't find it ironic at all.

mavracer
June 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
Why is it Ironic?
the 38 super came out in 1929 the original balistics had a 130gr bullet at 1400fps.as you already stated the 38 super already fits in an auto so why did we need the 357sig.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

precision_shooter
June 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
the 38 super came out in 1929 the original balistics had a 130gr bullet at 1400fps.as you already stated the 38 super already fits in an auto so why did we need the 357sig.

I guess I see your point. Maybe it just came down to popularity. The .38 Super is not very popular anymore, the .357 Mag is.

Citizen Carrier
June 17, 2009, 01:34 PM
.357 Sig is a true rimless semi-auto cartridge. The .38 Super is a semi-rimmed cartridge that headspaces differently than other, standard a.c.p. type cartridges.

Forget .38 Super. It ain't exactly straining the shelf capacity of the ammunition counters these days.

Now...a longslide Glock like the 34 or 17L in 7.62x25mm (.30 Mauser) would be a boon to Mankind...

mavracer
June 17, 2009, 02:22 PM
The .38 Super is a semi-rimmed cartridge that headspaces differently than other, standard a.c.p. type cartridges.
LOL colt quit chambering them to headspace on the rim 50 years ago all new 38 supers headspace on the case mouth just like the other strait wall autos.
Forget .38 Super. It ain't exactly straining the shelf capacity of the ammunition counters these days.
maybe but at least they have some:rolleyes:
Now...a longslide Glock like the 34 or 17L in 7.62x25mm (.30 Mauser) would be a boon to Mankind...
maybe for other primates.I doubt mankind would like that 2X6" grip size.7.62X25 is longer than a 45 and a lot of people already find the G21 too large.

Citizen Carrier
June 17, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure the grip size would be a problem. Single-column Tokarevs and CZ-52s do not strike me as being overly long to the point where a double column Glock would be prohibitive.

As far as Glocks in .38 Super, I think a conversion kit consisting of a barrel and magazine swap would be the way to go for that route. Not an entire new gun built from scratch.

Tatsumi67
June 17, 2009, 02:38 PM
17L in 7.62x25mm (.30 Mauser) would be a boon to Mankind.

I've always wanted to try that cartridge, but with C96s being extremely hard to come buy a Glock would be a way to get it.

But it would be totally ridiculous, and I'd never buy it.

Citizen Carrier
June 17, 2009, 02:58 PM
Ridiculous? Why?

Ammo you can still buy by the crate for dirt cheap that would probably sizzle along at 1400 fps out of a long-barreled Glock? Probably the flattest trajectory of any cartridge fired out of a Glock? A cartridge that in some loadings with steel cores is hot enough to generate velocities capable of defeating some light body armor?

Sounds almost like a phaser.

45_Shooter
June 17, 2009, 10:54 PM
the 38 super came out in 1929 the original balistics had a 130gr bullet at 1400fps.as you already stated the 38 super already fits in an auto so why did we need the 357sig.

That's my feelings exactly, although I wasn't aware the original loading for .38 Super was that hot. You'll get better capacity with a .38 Super over a .357 Sig since the diameter of the cartridge is smaller, it's just the action has to be long. I've never quite seen the real detriment of long actions, they can be made to suit small handed shooters fine these days.

Funny how LE ignored the .38 super for the 60 years following the gangster era of the '30's (for which the cartridge was developed), but as soon as the .357 Sig comes out doing almost the same thing the .38 Super has done for decades, they're all over it like white on rice.

Oh well, I like the .38 Super in general, but considering it does nearly the same thing as modern hot 9mm and .357 Sig, I don't think it would really be a huge seller. If the .38 Super could be loaded every bit as hot as a .357 Sig, it's capacity advantage might provide a decent business case, although most factory .38 super today is relatively weak even though it is labeled +P.

lmccrock
June 18, 2009, 08:24 AM
38 super gives you 9mm capacity for the same length, although the rounds are long. A +P 9mm will be pretty close to what a 38 super can do.

38 super and its variants are popular in IPSC Open guns, but with modern powders and guns, a custom 9mm can do what IPSC needs. And Glocks are not commonly used for IPSC Open, so Glock has not made a 38 super. The Open Glocks are usually a highly customized 9mm.

Lee

VinnyT
June 18, 2009, 08:35 AM
Now a Glock in .44 MAG I might just buy......:D

IdahoG36
June 18, 2009, 09:38 PM
As others have already said, there really isn't anything that a .38 Super GLOCK could/would do that the 357 Sig GLOCKs don't already. I don't see a reason for one.

On another note, I know that .22lr conversion kits exist for GLOCKs, but I would like to see a factory GLOCK .22lr with a 5-5.5in barrel. I think that would be kinda cool.:D

Alleykat
June 19, 2009, 06:08 AM
Citizen Carrier: Probably the flattest trajectory of any cartridge fired out of a Glock?

Unless you're taking 200-yd-shots with your Glocks, then what difference does the flatness of the trajectory make? None, that I can see. :cool:

Citizen Carrier
June 19, 2009, 08:20 AM
Long range pistol shots are not unheard of. I've even managed a few 200 yard hits on a gong with an .45 M1911. But it was a guess-work, "suppressive fire" proposition. Not a precision shooting deal.

Just ask Elmer Keith or most silohuette shooters.

Or is there a downside to a high velocity flat trajectory and not having to guess a lot of hold-over at 50 yards or more? For a longslide Glock, add a red dot or long-eye relief scope and you have a pretty potent varmint pistol.

Add one of those shoulder stocks and you start to get into even more interesting territory.

Actually, a pretty potent "just about anything" pistol.

xdshooter
June 19, 2009, 08:52 AM
I voted no, because I don't drink the Glock kool-aid.

Citizen Carrier
June 19, 2009, 08:58 AM
I used to be of that mindset too.

But my shooting buddy and I were casting about for more opportunities to compete with pistols beyond our standard bullseye leagues.

We hit upon GSSF matches. I used a Glock 22C outfited with a lighter trigger, Lone Wolf Dist. overtravel stop, tungsten guide rod, and adjustable sights.

Once I learned the "trigger reset" trick of shooting Glock pistols, I was finishing very high in the Glock matches. Top 10%. I found I could shoot well with those guns.

I even used that 22C in some bowling pin matches. My fastest time was shot with that pistol.

ActivShootr
June 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
I think they would do well south of the border as the .38 super already has. The American market however, already has a good number of calibers to choose from.

I'd still buy one though. :)

ActivShootr
June 19, 2009, 09:10 AM
because I don't drink the Glock kool-aid.

But if the Croats built one you'd be all over it.

xdshooter
June 19, 2009, 10:43 AM
Not sure I would enjoy the Croat kool-aid either.

N.H. Yankee
June 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
I happen to really like the 38 super, there just aren't that many guns chambered for it, and most that are run high in cost. I personally feel the 1911 is a great platform for the Super, but the only one Iv'e ever had is an older pinned and stamped german made P220.

MontyCop05
June 19, 2009, 06:06 PM
I said yes. It's a very popular cartridge in competition shooting like IPSC, not to mention the previously stated fact that most other countries where civilians are not allowed to possess firearms in military calibers (.9mm, .40, .45acp) it would fill a niche, and still give 9mm like ballistics.