PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Baby Eagle?

Roger Hippert
August 23, 1999, 10:53 PM
Now that I decided to buy a CZ 75, I can't find one anywhere in my locale. A local dealer does have a used 9mm Baby Eagle that looks like new, for $300. The gun intrigues me, but aside from thinking it's an firearm made in Isreal and based on the CZ, I know nothing about its' reputation for accuracy, reliablity, etc. Can Anyone help?
By the way, I've been on a lot of hobbyists forums, and I must say that the responses to my earlier post were the most polite and informative I've seen. I've loved guns since I was a kid, but am also a long-time bleeding heart liberal (yeah, go figure), and you guys reaffirm my basic belief that the people who are really serious use of their firearms represent about 99% of the owners. Thanks!

Destructo6
August 23, 1999, 11:45 PM
I understand that the IMI Baby Eagles are not wholly made in Israel. The grip frame is made by Tanfoglio in Italy, who also make the EAA Witness line, and the slide assembly is made in Israel.

$300 might be a bit steep for a used Baby Eagle as new Witness and CZ-75's can be had for about the same price, maybe a tad more.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited August 24, 1999).]

4V50 Gary
August 24, 1999, 12:04 AM
While the Baby Eagle borrows a lot from the CZ design, it certainly boasts of greater mass and correspondingly greater weight. More gun for the money I suppose. The obvious benefit is lesser perceived recoil. The detriment is of course, weight. Unless your a big guy use to carrying lotsa shooting iron, get ready to limp. ;)

One thing I've never seen a CZ clone do is approach CZ for its crisp DA/SA trigger pull. Educated consumers, the choice is yours.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Correia
August 24, 1999, 04:08 PM
I've only shot a baby eagle once. It was the most accurate I have ever been with any handgun the first time I used it. (I'm more accurate with others, but these are guns that I've shot quite a bit) It just pointed well for me. A friend of mine owns it, hasn't been shot too much, maybe 300 rounds, but no malfunctions yet. I coulnd't give you an idea of group size or anything because our targets where shaken up cans of soda, but they were exploding like crazy. The only problem I saw was with the ten round mags, it was impossible to get more than 9 in one of them. Trigger was ok, not anything special. I like the slide mounted safety, but then again I'm one of those people who like smith&wessons. Seemed like a really nice gun.
$300 used seems a little much, he got his new for $325.
And welcome to TFL.

Destructo6
August 24, 1999, 04:35 PM
About mags...I just bought a factory, 15round, CZ-75 magazine from CZ-USA for $35, new in wrapper. For me, that would be another reason to go with the real deal.

Walt Sherrill
August 24, 1999, 06:17 PM
An acquaintance uses one in IDPA. He shoots well with it.

They appear to be good guns.

I've seen them in Gun List in the past several months (CDNN, I think) for less than $300 new... so your price may be a little high.

Sid Post
August 24, 1999, 06:38 PM
As people have already pointed out, the baby eagle's are a little heavier then the other clones. Whether this is good or bad depends on what you are looking for.

I really like the IMI guns in general. Their barrels seem to be some of the best out there until you get into expensive hi-end premium pistols. IMI knows how to build a good durable handgun for long term use.

Whether $300 is too high or not depends on your local market and your wallet. You are going to have a hard time shipping one in and getting it transfered from the FFL to your for less and, you won't get the chance to inspect it before hand. The cheaper "new" pistols I have seen were all the special variants and not the traditional full size pistol. If you guys can point me to a NEW standard 9mm Baby Eagle for $300 or less, I would appreciate a phone number and/or address. They last ones my distributor had were over $300 dealer cost plus shipping.

Sid
---
Tx FFL

Fisher
August 25, 1999, 08:25 PM
Roger, I just purchased a baby eagle in 45 ACP last month. The price here in Ohio for a new one was $350. I have since had it to the range several times and am very impressed with it. Yes, it is heavier than other guns. The up side is that the recoil is not as bad. I also like the simplicity of the gun when you tear it down for cleaning. I can have that gun broken down in less than one minute, and I can put it back together in the same amount of time. Try that with a Kimber. I say that because I own a kimber and they're not anywhere near as simple to tear down.

Accuracy is very good for a combat style pistol. It comes with 3 dot sights and is easy to aquire the target when pulling up the gun. I was also impressed with the way the gun felt in my hand, very comfortable.

As for dependablity, magnum research has always put out a good product in there desert eagle models. I feel they have continued that line of quality in there baby eagles.

TonyM
August 31, 1999, 01:15 PM
Hello Roger.

I am looking into buying a baby eagle myself.
I talked to a dealer here and he said that the CZ-75 High Cap Mags work in the Baby Eagle. I have no reason to not believe this dealer, but I would like to know if anyone else can confirm this.

By the way I graduated in 1978 from New Ulm
Senior High. There was a Roger Hippert in that class. Was that you?

Tony.

hksigwalther
August 31, 1999, 09:19 PM
TonyM,

I have a TZ-75 (Tanfaglio frame as with the Baby Eagle) and one hi-cap mag fits in my CZ okay while another has the mag catch notch just a tad too low. It'll fit if I really jam it into the CZ but the release is a bit hard to press (binding). CZ mag catch notch is too high so the mag sits a bit low in the TZ. Haven't tried shooting with it as I feel I'll get a few misfeeds.

- Ron V.

------------------

murreln45
December 9, 2008, 10:36 PM
I have had mine for about 4 years now and love it.It is very accurate.The only problem I have had is a feed problem.The edge of the cartridge seems to snag and hang up on the feed ramp.No burrs or damage is observed on the ramp.Has anyone else had this problem,if so any suggestions?

duboy
December 9, 2008, 11:52 PM
I have had my IMI Jericho .45 FS for about 6 years now, mine is the frame safety model, not the slide safety. For some reason mine has no import markings, it just says IMI Jericho on the slide.

but it's the same as the baby eagle, and after 6 years and probably a couple thousand rounds it's still perfect. i had a 9mm baby eagle too, and i sold it to pick up a G17L.

I would highly recommend them as my two examples were/are very reliable, accurate, consistent, easy to take care of and they sure do look the part.

SavageMOA
December 10, 2008, 12:30 AM
Does anyone realize this thread is almost a decade old?

Sgt.Fathead
December 10, 2008, 02:33 AM
That's bizarre, man.....

imthegrumpyone
December 10, 2008, 05:32 AM
Robert Hippert I've owned one for 20+ years, a vary nice well balanced piece. Never a problem, best 9mm I've shot, would never think of giving it up. ;)

rlong5
December 11, 2008, 05:42 AM
It appears that Mr. Hippert joined TFL in August 1999 and made two posts in about a week. The first post in this thread was his last. I wouldn't count on him re-joining this discussion.

I'm looking for the option to "send private message via time travel", but can't find it. :D