PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning AK/SKS with hot water and soap

gotguns?
June 8, 2009, 07:26 PM
I own a yugo SKS and A saiga in 7.62x39 and am going to start shooting corrosive ammo out of them both. I need opinions on how to get all the crud out of the nooks and crannies after I shoot because I rarely shoot these guns, so I want to full house clean and lube them every time I shoot. I have an idea:

Use a siphon sprayer (for the pressure) With a Hot water and soap mix to clean the action and of course dry it out completely and clean the barrel with solvent and then relube. This is the cheapest way I can think of to blast the crud out of every nook without taking the trigger/ hammer out. What do you think. How do you do it?

Warhammer
June 8, 2009, 07:51 PM
Why are you going to shoot corrosive ammo through guns you rarely fire? If you indeed fire them infrequently, the tiny savings you might get from buying inferior ammunition would not even come close to offsetting the additional work to clean the gun well enough to prevent damage. The price of 7.62x39 is dropping back to reasonable levels. Shooting corrosive ammo just doesn't seem to make much sense.

Deaf Smith
June 8, 2009, 07:55 PM
First get some Windex. It has amonia in it. Spray that in the barrel at the gun range right after shooting.

Then at home, that night, take your AK/SKS down. Take the gas system off (it's easy.)

Get hot water with some soap and a funnel.

Funnel the soapy water down the barrle and scrub it with a brass brush.

Make sure the water runs though the gas hole in the barrel (top side)

Then with the gas tube off, do the same to the gas tube and the end of the piston. Whipe with clearn cloth.

Oil the barrel but NOT the gas system.

Clean the rest of the gun. I use breakfree on my AK.

I've got almost 500 rounds of Yogo 7.62x39, corrosve brass cased ammo, just for a carbine course. Intend on firing it on one day and do the soap and water routine my self at night.

Hope that helps.

pvt.Long
June 8, 2009, 08:26 PM
The hotwater and soap is the best idea for any rifle nomatter if its modern to blackpowder. Take your gun down as much as you can get a 10 gal bucket full of soap and water put the barrel and gas assy in the bucket and run the actual cotton swab so it will get a good seal and act like a pump, thru it untill your satisfied dry it out with patches dry it all off and lightly oil it put it all back together. Why exactly are you shooting corrosive ammo?

gotguns?
June 8, 2009, 08:34 PM
I bought plenty of it and it is still cheaper to shoot.
And thanks for the replies they have been helpfull

stubbicatt
June 8, 2009, 11:46 PM
... or purchase and use Mpro7, water based, detergent natured, gun cleaner and use it as you would any other solvent.

Even comes in a spray bottle to make getting it in the receiver recesses easier.

jeo556
June 9, 2009, 09:08 AM
The hot water and soap will work but I've been told that the use of Ballistol mixed with water(9 parts water, 1 part Ballistol) is the way to go. Ballistol won't seperate from the water and after cleaning when the water dries up the Ballistol oil will be there to soak into any nooks and crannies.
I'm also begining to shoot corrosive ammo and this is what I was told by a reputable smith that has been enjoying the low cost corrosive ammo for years with no ill effects on his guns. Good luck and have a good one.

Willie Lowman
June 9, 2009, 09:38 AM
+1 for Balistol.

I use it on my K98 and M48 and Romak3. I have had no rust/pitting issues with any of these guns.

People cry about corrosive ammo so much, forgetting that our precious Garands, 03A3's, 1911s 1917s etc etc etc were fed nothing but corrosive ammo back in the day!

Just clean your guns!