PDA

View Full Version : Using Burris Ring Inserts

wingman
June 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
Having difficulty understand how to use insert on Burris rings I find instruction unclear, if I'm 10 inches low and 5 inches left at 100 yards and want to use rear ring for adjustment how do I position inserts.

publius
June 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
the inserts don't move, they are essentially part of the ring.

o0ben0o
June 4, 2009, 06:10 PM
The video on their web page explains them pretty well.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

Jimro
June 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
ten inches low and five left means that you need to use the inserts to shim the rear of the scope up and right, or the front of the scope down and left. I would place the thick part of the insert on the bottom of the rear ring to adjust vertical, and the thick part of the insert on the left side of the front ring to adjust for horizontal.

The distance between your scope rings will determine how much adjustment the offset inserts give you.

In the archives is a formula to figure out how much adjustment you would gain.

Jimro

Swampghost
June 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
+1 jimro. It's an eccentric cam for adjusting your scope. The procedure's going to be a major headache. Fill us all in when you're done.

I'd much more prefer to hear my son say "80 clicks north and 40 clicks right."

wingman
June 5, 2009, 07:55 AM
+1 jimro. It's an eccentric cam for adjusting your scope. The procedure's going to be a major headache. Fill us all in when you're done.

It has been(headache), rifle is a savage 12 BTVS 223, super accurate but a problem (i believe) in receiver with machining, I used a Dednutz mount first time and to function would have required shimming, I avoid that when possible, the scope is a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44, great glass but only 32 moa total adjustment. What I've run into is a maxed out up or right adjustments on both setups at 100 yards.

Swampghost
June 6, 2009, 12:18 AM
I'd first check the entire setup on another rifle just to ensure that it is the Savage reciever. If it does prove to be a machining problem then it's back to Savage.

Have you tried reversing the rings?

Sometimes just taking everything apart and putting it back can make a difference. How are you tightening everything up?