PDA

View Full Version : Unusual question regarding QD Swivel Attachment Points

Skyyr
June 1, 2009, 06:41 PM
I recently purchased an Sabre "M5 Tactical" AR15 that didn't have a forward sling attachment swivel/point. It came with the Magpul CTR stock, with a QD swivel socket. Since it already has the hole for the QD in the stock, I'm considering just putting a QD attachment point on the rail, just to take advantage of the QD system. The QD attachment point can be seen here:

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4

It looks like to me that the attachment point, if attached to the railing, would put alot of stress on the rails it attaches to. I say that because the gun is a heavy gun, and with such an expensive rail system, I'm reluctant to use a mount like that when I can simply use a tactical velcro attachment point instead.

It just looks like that hanging the gun off of the rails on that small of a point would put unneeded stress on that rail section, possibly scratching/chipping/etc the rails. With a $350 RIS, I don't want to risk that.

Are my concerns legitimate?

Jimro
June 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
Those daniels defense rails are pretty tough. I wouldn't be concerned.

Jimro

Skyyr
June 1, 2009, 11:19 PM
Those daniels defense rails are pretty tough. I wouldn't be concerned.

That's my concern, lol. With the stress of a heavy carbine being put through the QD swivel that's hanging on the rails, I'm worried the mount will stress the rails too much. I can understand the rails handling lights, lasers, grips, etc, but can it handle the entire weight of the weapon hanging from a swivel attached to it without damaging it?

KChen986
June 2, 2009, 03:44 AM
The weapon's 5-10 lbs at the most. I wouldn't really consider it 'stressing' the rails.

I come from the school of thought that your weapon is meant to be roughed up, hence why you buy $300 rails (because they're designed and built tough).

If it were up to me, I'd purchase the part and mount up.