PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mosquito

M&P40
May 31, 2009, 06:21 PM
My daughter has taken an interest in shooting with her dad. So We went to the local store to check out .22's and came across the Sig Mosquito. Not to heavy, fit her hand well and had both a manual safety and decocker. Seriously think about getting this for her but was interested in hearing anyone's experiences with this gun. Already own a P220 equinox so I know about Sigs quality but would like to hear some opinions. Thanks

JWT
May 31, 2009, 06:54 PM
There have been many past threads on the Mosquito. You might want to do a search and read a few of them. The early models had problems with FTF etc. Not sure if SIG got them under control or not. I do recall reading that they were fussy about ammo.

fatboy02
May 31, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have three friends that have the sig masquto, one works great functions pretty good, one will only work with CCI (mini mags I think) the third can't get through a mag without jamming a couple of times. This seems to be the way they go if it works it works some only work with a particular ammo and some just do not want to work at all. :confused:

6x6pinz
May 31, 2009, 07:26 PM
Check the past threads. These are not quite the same as a regular sig pistol. I really enjoy shooting my mosquito but it does not "feel" like my other sigs. It seems that some of the older ones had issues, mine was purchased about a year and a half ago and has been working fine with every 22 (HV) round I have run through it. If you do get one follow the manual, keep it clean and well lubed and it will work fine.

Silvanus
May 31, 2009, 07:48 PM
so I know about Sigs quality

I have a P229 and a Mosquito. They are not really comparable. The .22 is fun to shoot, but far from the quality and reliability of a classic Sig. I still like it though, it's not like I'm going to use the .22 for self defence. It's also good training for malfunction drills :p:D

rsxr22
May 31, 2009, 11:03 PM
i loved the way the mosquito felt in the hand. When i went back to the store to purchase it though i took some time with it and felt that it was not constructed nearly as well as other sig models. Controls were very cheaply made and trigger pull was very gritty. It indeed is a good .22 in some respects though. i decided to go the route of the ruger mark III 22/45. It was barely more expensive and in 3 months have close to 4k downrange with it and once i found the ammo it liked i have only had around 5 failures. mostly ftf's.. I do not say not to buy the sig, but i think there are some better ones out there like the rugers, s&w, and even the walther(not the p22, but their target .22)

Goodluck and im sure you and your daughter will be happy regardless of the route you go

BillD
June 1, 2009, 01:23 AM
Somewhere... On this bbs or maybe rimfirecentral.com someone posted on how to fix the mosquitos bugs (pun intended). It was a case of pulling it to bits and filing bits off the slide and bumps off the ramp. But it did make it reliable. Sorry I can't remmember more or where it was. Rugers are nice and you can re-sell it any ole time and get your money back :)

BMSMA
June 1, 2009, 06:11 AM
The sig is probably a good gun (especially if it is comfortable - which I see as being important for a first time shooter).

I have friends with rugers that love them to death, but I always found them uncomfortable. I really like the ergonomics of the mosquito when I was looking into a .22 pistol.

This being said I think the biggest issue would probably be how clean the gun is kept. All of the .22 that I have shot have been exceedingly dirty. I find that it is important to clean the guns very regularly. I have also gotten into using Breakfree CLP rather than oiling (which seems to attract materials). This is especially important if putting though large amounts of bulk ammo.

Taking a can of CLP and spraying it out every so often (if shooting all day) will work wonders for the .22 [at least it has for me].

RoscoeC
June 1, 2009, 11:09 AM
My boss bought a Sig Mosquito. Two days later I bought a Stainless Browning Buckmark.

The day after the boss bought the Sig, he said he was selling it. He took it home a put around 100 rounds through it and had ~30 jams. Now, with that said he was using mixed brand ammo that had been dumped into a bag. He bought some CCI Mini Mags, and has had no further problems. He's keeping it.

The Buckmark stove piped the first round I fired from it. I thought "Oh, boy, here we go." However, that is the only failure that it has experienced in about 450 rounds. I have had 3 failures to fire, but that has only been with Federal Auto Match ammo. I have tried 10 or so brands of ammo in it, and it has digested all of it with no issues. Bench rested and with the proper ammo it is capable of quarter size groups at 50 yards (I have a Sig red dot on it). Very nice trigger. It is a ton of fun.