PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what should it be? Benelli Supernova or Remington 870 Express Magnum?

Hank15
May 31, 2009, 04:40 AM
I posted a thread earlier to ask for shotgun suggestions - a good all purpose shotgun that does well in everything except HD (I have a Colt 1911 for that :) ).

After all the suggestions, I've narrowed it down to the two: Benelli Supernova or the Remington 870 Express Magnum.

Just something to keep in mind, the Benelli Supernova shoots 3 1/2 inch magnums as well.

Which one would you suggest? Why?

jlv08
May 31, 2009, 07:58 AM
My experience with the Remington Express shotguns has been good and bad,

good in the sense that my early model ( circa late eighties or early nineties)

Express had no issues of any kind other than it did not pull up to my shoulder

as much as I liked. It didn't feel right for me and my frame size.

My Bro. in laws gun was a rust bucket. That's another story.:mad:

I have no experience with the Benelli other than it rattled worse than a

goose loose Mossberg and that turned me off when I shouldered one at a store.

It 's a matter of preference and I would find out what fits me and how it

balances for carry purposes afield if that is your intent of use.

IMHO a 3' gun is as good as a 3.5 inch gun and a 2 and 3/4 is no less effective.

The only gun I would consider in 3.5' would be a Mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel ,camo'd, with Hi-viz sights.

It's a proven gun in the 3.5 inch category, even though it does rattle a little.:rolleyes:

I haven't heard enough good about the Remington Supermag to get a warm fuzzy about parting with my hard earned cash to buy one.

I have not been impressed with Remington with any of their new shotguns as now they seemed to have been slipping in quality.:(

If you can stand the rattle of the Benelli slide, I'd say Benelli.

If 3.5 ain't real nescessary, and the Benelli doesn't make your socks roll up and down, a used Wingmaster would more that suffice for an all around gun.

My humble opinion of course!:D

Hank15
May 31, 2009, 05:19 PM
bump bump?

hogdogs
May 31, 2009, 05:21 PM
What the heck?!?! No Mossberg option?:mad:
535 and 835 are 3.5 offerings...
Brent

dalecooper51
May 31, 2009, 06:02 PM
I rarely fire 3" shells, yet alone 3.5" ones. Unless you are an avid waterfowler, I wouldn't worry about getting a gun with a 3.5" chamber. I would say that 2.75" shells make up 99.9999999% of my shooting.

In your shoes, I would try as many different shotguns as you can and make your decision after you have a little more hands on experience. Just because you think you might like a gun because it looks good or has a good reputation, doesnt make it so. Try a bunch and get what feels best to you after shooting them.

Hank15
May 31, 2009, 06:28 PM
I understand why people try handguns (most of them are at least 600).

But since the shotguns i mentioned above only run about 350~450, I really don't want to spend 30~45 dollars trying out each shotgun.

Assuming that you've never shot or purchased a shotgun before, which of the two mentioned above would you buy?

Thanks in advance guys!:)

Dave McC
May 31, 2009, 06:45 PM

It's the standard by which all other pumps( And a lot of other shotguns) are judged.

Hank15
May 31, 2009, 08:19 PM
What if the Benelli Supernova and the Remington 870 Express Magnum were the same price? Which one would you get then?

Miller77
May 31, 2009, 08:39 PM
Benelli for sure. I have a 870 and would have got the nova if i hadn't found an AMAZING price on the Remington. :cool:

jmr40
June 1, 2009, 05:44 AM
I really like the Benelli Nova and think they are probably making the best quality pumpgun currently being made. But since you said it was not for HD I have to go with 870. They are a better pointing gun for me and easier to hit birds and clay targets with.

jlv08
June 1, 2009, 08:49 AM
For the money that you've mentioned ,I would try to find an older Remington Wingmaster.:)

I would take one(Wingmaster) over any thing out there.

The Wingmaster 870 is arguably the most reliable and smoothest designed shotgun out there and for the amount of money you are willing to spend,
you are well into Wingmaster territory.

I don't recommend the Benelli because, I may be wrong, but you just don't have the options easily available for the Nova as you do the Wingmaster and if you need a part for your gun if something breaks, the Wingmaster has parts availability to beat the pants off the Benelli.

I've had 'em, worked on 'em, carried them in marshes and deer woods and guarded my home during hurricane season with one and did not worry about any reliability issues at all.

Hope this helps.:D

zippy13
June 1, 2009, 10:44 AM

It's the standard by which all other pumps( And a lot of other shotguns) are judged.
IMHO, I see two holes in your argument: 1) Being the standard is not necessarily the same as being the pinnacle. And, 2) These days there are just too many varieties of 870s. They range from pigs to princesses, which one is the standard?

Since the OP doesn't ask which gun is the better value, let's assume cost is not a significant factor in his decision. Putting aside any pro-870 prejudices, I suspect just the Benelli's adjustable and recoil reducing stock, would put it well ahead of the R-870 Ex Mag in a live fire comparison.
You get what you pay for.

Dave McC
June 1, 2009, 01:25 PM
Zippy, ALL 870s that I've run across work. That includes Expresses, Wingmasters,Letter grade trap and skeet guns, the short lived Sportsman, Police models, ad infinitum.

Some were put together better, some looked better, but the nastiest one still went bang on command.

The Benelli's not a bad gun,though the rattle and triggers are egregious.

But, the modular design and widespread use on the 870 see it as the better gun.

Not to mention the track record.

publius
June 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
I've got 870, Mossberg, and Benelli pumps and they are all good guns. the 870 feels the best and it's design is well proven. the Mossberg patterns better than the others, the benelli doesn't rust in most places. If I had only one 3.5 gun it would be the Mossberg b/c it shoots so well. Regular 3" gun, 870 hands down.

inSight-NEO
June 1, 2009, 06:33 PM
Remington 870: good marketshare, despite "track record" it has been somewhat dubious, as of late, in the QC department; no real advantages other than parts availability... that I can see (other than maybe a steel receiver)

Benelli SuperNova: not as "accessible" in terms of parts (the barrels being very expensive), better built than the Benelli Nova; IMHO its simply more gun for the money and of higher overall quality vs. the Express

Regarding the rattling forend....the SN does not rattle near to the degree the Nova did. Regardless, Ive yet to hold any pump shotgun in which the forend did not rattle. Ever hold a Mossberg 590? Man...it rattles (I think every bit as much, if not more, than my SNT). Yet, its called a "feature" when such rattles occur on the Mossberg, Remington, whatever. When the Benelli rattles, its called a piece of junk. It nonsensical to me.

These are just opinions...the final decision is yours.

While I do love the SuperNova (Tactical), I currently use a Mossberg 590 for HD (since the Benelli is harder to find parts for) and have since become a fan of the 590 in almost any form. Of course, you arent interested in an HD shotgun, so this tidbit wont be of much use to you. Just thought Id throw it in.

Hank15
June 2, 2009, 01:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I am buying a shotgun tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what I decided to go with.

Hank15
June 2, 2009, 11:57 AM
last bump before i make the purchase :)

hogdogs
June 2, 2009, 12:00 PM
Teaser:mad:
I thought you had yer new baby home from the "adoption center"...:D
Brent

Hank15
June 3, 2009, 01:13 AM
Had a major headache today, woke up a few hours ago (around 8 p.m.).

So...I am gonna get the shotgun tomorrow.

Any last suggestions/opinions before I make the purchase?

tmd11111
June 3, 2009, 01:22 AM
In your first post you pointed out that the Benelli has a 3 1/2" chamber. These shells are pretty much limited to hunting waterfoul, mainly goose hunting. If this is important to you then you should seriously consider a Browning BPS stalker or a Mossberg 835. BTW the 835 can be had for a little over $300 at wally world.

Lee Lapin
June 3, 2009, 08:02 AM
Handle 'em both. Shoot 'em both if you have family/friends/coworkers who will let you use theirs. I'd not make a purchase till I had hands-on and trigger time myself. It's your gun, not ours.

I also am not impressed with 3.5" 12 gauge guns. After a few decades of watching the marketers at work, it seems to me more of a gimmick than a useful feature. YMMV of course. I don't find any need for even 3" magnums, but I don't fend off marauding brown/grizzly bears with a shotgun, or hunt waterfow or turkeys either. Some folks have legitimate need for 3" ammo, I don't.

My bias in favor of 870s is one more thing I share with moderator Dave McC. That doesn't mean an 870 is the shotgun you should get. The world of pump shotguns is rich and varied. Look around some.

I also wouldn't suggest you marry the first girl you meet... 8^).

lpl

OBTW- get yourself a factory 18- 20" smoothbore barrel for your shotgun too (barrels interchange easily these days) and get good with it. Then think about using the shotgun for HD too. After all, 73 caliber is bigger than 45 caliber...

Hank15
June 3, 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll be making the purchase today. Expect pictures after the 10 day waiting period :)

hogdogs
June 3, 2009, 12:08 PM
Your baby will starve to death before you get it home...
Brent

tmd11111
June 3, 2009, 12:23 PM
10 days :eek: Oh yeah, you live in Kommiefornia, sorry about that.

Gotta love Texas, just walk into any gun shop (wal-mart included) and say I'd like one of those, and one of these, and ohhhh, I'll take two of them. 10 minutes later your on your way with tons of shiny black pistol gripped 30rd magazined glory. :D:D:D

Hank15
June 3, 2009, 05:55 PM
Yup. That's what happens when you got retards screwing around with guns. Not to mention anti-gun politicians in your state as well...

And thanks to the election of Obama, I am now paying $28 for a box of 45s.

David Turley
February 28, 2010, 06:51 AM
I own both the 870 and the nova and for me its the nova i love it not to say theirs any thing wrong with my 870 i know the 870 has a bigger following because its been around for so long and for years has been considerd to be the best pump gun on the market sorry 870 fans theirs a new best in town its the benelli hands down

LanceOregon
February 28, 2010, 04:57 PM
This thread is almost 9 months old. The OP said that he was going to purchase a shotgun in June of last year.

He never did confirm that he purchased anything, though.

gmoney
February 28, 2010, 06:57 PM
It would be tough to base a decision on those poll results,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

arizona98tj
February 28, 2010, 09:04 PM
I realize this thread is a bit dated but I don't mind repeating the comment.

I always have to chuckle when some asks about the SuperNova and someone else chimes in and states that the forearm rattles.

They don't. I own one and have shot two others and they don't rattle any more or less than any other pump I've shot. The Nova (not the SuperNova) was (or still is?) known for that issue but then again, one can use a hex head (allen) wrench to tighten up a couple of screws in the forearm to negate that problem. (so I've been told by Nova owners)

There really is a difference between a Nova and a SuperNova.....kind of like the differences that exist between the different 870s. ;)

alaskaman94
March 1, 2010, 12:15 AM
i own and love both! i pick depending on the weather for that day of hunting....

Regolith
March 1, 2010, 03:56 AM
Regardless, Ive yet to hold any pump shotgun in which the forend did not rattle.

The one on my 870 doesn't. And it's one of those icky Express models. :rolleyes:

It's one of the major reasons I bought it over the Mossberg 500, which I was actually planning on buying when I walked into the store.

billfrombyron
March 1, 2010, 10:43 AM
I own both.

I love my supernova Tactical for HD, and I love my 870 for everything else.

I bought the supernova tactical for a Zombie invasion protection. It would be equally effective on crack heads I'm sure.

It does have a improved cyl fixed choke, so I could take it tree rat hunting if desired.

My 870 with a modified choke does everything I need from a hunting shotgun, quick barrel change and its a slug gun.

Cannot go wrong with either gun, so get one of each...:cool:

-Bill