PDA

View Full Version : Good starter rifle (building to long range)

carlf
May 24, 2009, 11:38 PM
I would like to get into long range shooting. Unfortunately, I have little experience with rifle shooting and I feel like it would be a little silly to blow thousands of dollars on an AI or Sako rifle before it's even clear that I can develop the skills necessary for such a weapon. With that in mind, I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive rifle that I can use to work on basic technique and see if I would like to spend the money to go farther. Something that could shoot out to 150-200 yards would be ideal. I'd prefer bolt action since most of the really long range rifles seem to be bolt action. Any recommendations?

fisherman66
May 24, 2009, 11:41 PM
A good quality 22lr is the best tool around to develop skills. What's yer budget?

carlf
May 24, 2009, 11:42 PM
Would like to keep under 700 if possible.

fisherman66
May 24, 2009, 11:50 PM
That opens a lot of doors in the rimfire world. How much would you proportion toward a 22lr and save the remaining for a centerfire rifle?

Bolt actions:
Savage, CZ make middle of the road (price wise) 22lrs that are well regarded.
Ruger just slightly more expensive with their bolt action
Kimber, Cooper, Anschutz top shelf

Were I you, I'd go with the Savage or CZ to learn technique and then graduate to centerfire. I think the CZ are much easier on the eyes, but Savage fans will come out of the woodwork any moment. Some of the CZ's come with a set trigger;)

overkill556x45
May 25, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'd get a .22lr bolt action to develop skills, then a 30-06 or .308winchester bolt--both from savage. The Mark II .22lr (not the heavy barrel one) is well under $200. A Savage package rifle (with a cheap Simmons 3x9x40 and accutrigger) in 30-06 or .308 will cost about $550 in my neck of the woods. You can spend a little more and get a nicer Burris scope for $100 or so. Knowing what I know now, I'd rather have a fixed 4x or fixed 6x with a 40 or 44mm objective.

Buzzcook
May 25, 2009, 01:32 AM
Almost everything you need to learn about shooting can be learned with a .22

I really like the CZ LUX, but just about any .22 bolt action will do.
An alternative is the Marlin 39A, a lever action, that is very accurate and very fun to shoot.

Just about any modern centerfire cartridge will shoot to whatever long range is to you. Just about any modern rifle from a major manufacturer will shoot out to long range.
The Remington 700 is probably one of the most popular rifles out there and it has lots of support. They might be a bit easier/cheaper to modify than others.

smoakingun
May 25, 2009, 10:07 AM
The 22 will be your best learner. Get a bolt gun, if you pick up the lever in 22 you may never make the transition to a bolt. I made the mistake of buying a 22 lever gun, and now the rest of my guns just collect dust. I haven't engaged a target beyond 75 yards in 6 months. I'm getting fat trying to keep a good supply of pop cans, and my reloading gear has siezed up. Buy the bolt, the lever is too much fun.

James R. Burke
May 25, 2009, 04:54 PM
Fisherman 66 is 100% correct. Nothing better to get skills with than the .22, plus it is nice just to have one. Then like he said you would have bucks left over if you wanted to get something bigger. It will also give you some good ideas on how you want to go. I would take his advice.

StiveC2007
May 25, 2009, 05:54 PM
I picked up a HOWA 1500 .30-06 for about 390$ new, put a decent scope on it and you won't be disapointed for a first rifle it can't be beat, accurate as all hell. the stock is all right not the greatest still better than the savage(not the accu stock) and can be fitted with a bell and carlson if you want to upgrade. the guys over at sniper central build a long range tactical rifles on the barreled actions form HOWA. take a look at them with a lil bit of know how you can make one for less than what they sell.

But if you need to up your skill set .22 isn't bad at all, maybe even a 5.56(.223) i was intrested in a new rifle for just the range fun and many people recommend it.