PDA

View Full Version : Colt Dragoon

Michel
May 21, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hello,

Does any body has information about this particular accessory found on some original 3rd generation Colt Dragoon ?

Regards.

Smokin_Gun
May 21, 2009, 02:55 AM
I think that you'd have to buy one and dovetail the barrel to make one fit. Try Dixie Gun Works, or VTI. I have a 1st Model Colt Signature Dragoon no flip site.

Michel
May 21, 2009, 04:11 AM
Hello,

Yes, I'm ready to do that, on the fact that it was fitted on some 3rd generation original Colt, but I would like to be absolutely sure that this is not a modern improvement added in 19xx years....

I need some more information, I got only this picture from a magazine, if any people have experienced ???

Also, I would like to know the specific name of this add-on, to carry out some google search.

Regards,

Hawg
May 21, 2009, 06:19 AM
Folding leaf sights were original to some third model Dragoons from 1851-1860 but only on ones with shoulder stock cutouts.

madcratebuilder
May 21, 2009, 08:32 AM
What hawg said. Shoulder stock models had the added sight. The 3rd gen, 3rd Dragoon, military model was made to use a shoulder stock, but no shoulder stocks were ever built.

I've read that Uberti made a shoulder stock Dragoon several years ago. I have not seen one and I'm looking.

If you locate a dove tail flip up sight would you please post a link.

Michel
May 21, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the correct terminology that I was looking for !

Two more pictures illustrating this feature attached.

If I got other stuff I will add it, may be this could be an improvement for Colt enthousiasts and to be a serious challenger for Remington 1858 users.
But I will mind to that a couple of days, before I use my milling machine against the brand new Dragoon barrel ...

Have a nice day.

Fingers McGee
May 21, 2009, 11:29 AM
ASM madethe military model 3rd Model Dragoons in the 70's that have the folding leaf sight. Some came with the matching shoulder stock. They show up on the auction sites from time to time.

Dingoboyx
May 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
Cool gun/rifle :D Awesome

When I look at it tho, my beady little eyes go straight to the bottom front of the fame, and wonder how hard/easy it would be to bend the frame down (& open the flashgap) Thank goodness it has a steel frame, not brass :eek::D

IMO, beautiful to look at, but I would be terrified of bending it by accident

madcratebuilder
May 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
When I look at it tho, my beady little eyes go straight to the bottom front of the fame, and wonder how hard/easy it would be to bend the frame down (& open the flashgap) Thank goodness it has a steel frame, not brass

The barrel lug assembly is secured to the revolver at the arbor by the wedge. The bottom of the barrel lug does not have to contact the frame. I like a clearance of .001-.002 between the lug and the frame when the barrel is bottomed on the arbor The barrel lug is centered by two locating pins at the bottom of the frame.

Dingoboyx
May 22, 2009, 04:31 AM
But I would still be worried about it bending over time due to no backstrap, from heavy loads or accidental abuse (slipping over while carrying it etc)

I love the gun, dont get me wrong.... it looks great :D

Hawg
May 22, 2009, 05:11 AM
But I would still be worried about it bending over time due to no backstrap, from heavy loads or accidental abuse (slipping over while carrying it etc)

Not gonna happen.

bprevolver
May 23, 2009, 01:01 PM
Replica Shoulder Stocks with both steel and brass hardware were made for the 3rd Model Dragoon in the 1960's and 1970's. The steel hardware stocks have become extremely expensive. On sold on Ebay around three years ago for $800. There was a 3rd Model Dragoon with a brass hardware shoulder stock on one of the auction a while back. The Flip rear sight was pretty standard for the 3rd Model Dragoon cut for shoulder stock. There is another variation of the replica 3rd Model Dragoon CSS with a fixed rear sight. This is a rare version.

arcticap
May 24, 2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/1Folding.lrg.jpg

$39 listed under rear sights - misc.:

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NECG&Category_Code=RS