PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Complete BCG

Nick-Mc
May 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
Anyone have any experiences using a Rock River complete ar15 bolt carrier group? I am thinking about buying one, but I want to know reliability, personal experiences/advice, thanks to all.

Huskerguy
May 16, 2009, 10:12 PM
Don't have one myself by my brother in law does and I have shot it. Very nice rifle and reliable. From what I have heard/read the RR is a very good rifle and well built, more towards the top end. But that is about the extent of my knowledge. If I could pick one up I would based on what I know. That one and a LMT.

Nick-Mc
May 16, 2009, 10:20 PM
thanks, I was mainly looking at just the bcg for a build, but if the rifle works great, then obviously the bcg in it is working great, thanks.

Kendo
May 16, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have a RRA AR15 Its the only AR I've ever owned [exept for the one the army loaned me and it was a Colt] I love mine, Shoots great, always goes bang. As a matter a fact it's my go to coyote gun now and thats saying something considering a couple of years ago I had no use for the
"black guns". I want there full predator version next.

Logs
May 17, 2009, 07:16 AM
I have two the work great. $130 from KYGUNCO on gunbroker right now, cheapest I have seen in a while. I am going to his store today to by a Rock River High Rise Scope mount.

Nick-Mc
May 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
yeah, I should have gotten on gunbroker and picked one up, i paid $20 more, but oh well, if it's a decent bcg than i'm happy.

Mike Irwin
May 17, 2009, 12:49 PM
I picked up one a couple of years ago to complete a buildout on my AR-15 M2 style.

So far no problems at all. I put between 500-600 rounds through it before I cleaned it for the first time and didn't have a single hitch.

Scorch
May 17, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have a compete RRA rifle, so obviously it has the RRA bolt carrier group. Over 5,000 rounds through it so far, no hiccups.

Alleykat
May 17, 2009, 01:53 PM
Just picked one up at a gun store and was happy to get it. Haven't used it yet, but it's bound to be just fine.

Technosavant
May 17, 2009, 03:26 PM
RRA BCGs are good quality. At most you'll need to restake the gas key screws (mine were ok, but I added a bit of staking "encouragement" to them).

Nick-Mc
May 17, 2009, 03:29 PM
edit: woops

Alleykat
May 17, 2009, 04:40 PM
He didn't mention tightening. He did mention doing some staking.

Nick-Mc
May 21, 2009, 01:32 PM
I got my RRA BCG today, and it looks pretty good. It's staked properly, so I was suprised, from what i've heard they usually need restaking. But I do have a quick question about it. The o-rings seem kind of loose, so the bolt doesn't move back and forth really loosely, so its tighter within the bolt carrier because the rings are looser, therefore the ring is somewhat larger then previous bolts i've used. It does move back and forth but its a little tighter then previous bolts i've had. Is this a problem?
You think it's something that will get worked out after firing and such?

KChen986
May 21, 2009, 02:26 PM
Nick, My 2 cents.

I could be wrong, but I believe most weapons have to wear in a little? I know when I purchased a new bolt, the parts seemed a little over-tight, but they function better now that I've shot it. YMMV. I'm sure somebody who knows more can comment.

Alternatively, someone's taught me to push the bolt in, then swing the bolt as you would a hammer, and the bolt's supposed to slide out to fully extended.

Hope this has helped.

Nick-Mc
May 21, 2009, 03:41 PM
Yup, thats how I've always been tought, to flick the bolt carrier so the bolt extends fully. This is just the tightest i've ever had one, usually the ones i've had were really loose to push in and out. I'm sure it just needs to get worn in a little, I just wanted to know if it presented a problem. Because the o-rings on the bolt arn't as tight together as other ones i've had, so basically the circle is bigger, i'm sure it will get tighter and shrink the more I use it. I'll update this after i've gotten a chance to take it to the range.

DBAR
May 21, 2009, 04:37 PM
It will break in just fine. Bolts always fit tight in carriers when they are new. If it wasn't tight, then you'd have something to be concerned about.

Good shooting,
DBAR

Nick-Mc
May 21, 2009, 05:16 PM
thanks DBAR.

TPAW
May 21, 2009, 08:33 PM
Anyone have any experiences using a Rock River complete ar15 bolt carrier group? I am thinking about buying one, but I want to know reliability, personal experiences/advice, thanks to all.

I've put thousands of rounds through mine without any complaints. RR is absolutely superb!

Alleykat
May 22, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hopefully, nobody installed o-rings, instead of gas rings on Nick-mc's AR's bolt! ;)

Nick-Mc
May 24, 2009, 01:30 PM
Yes Yes, gas rings. We call them o-rings up here, simply because its an O, but to be "correct" its a gas ring. Thanks for all the input guys.