PDA

View Full Version : Savage Barrel Changes

SPUSCG
May 16, 2009, 03:34 PM
Wondering more about them, i hear about "its easy very little work" and "only some tools needed" but i kind of want a video, or at least really detailed pics. Most sources ive been shown kind of expect you to know something about barrel swaps to begin with. Ive been told i could shoot 308 243 260 and 22-250 from the same rifle, which is cool

the_right_reverend
May 16, 2009, 04:38 PM
everything you need to know about Savage rifles

http://savageshooters.com/index.php

SPUSCG
May 16, 2009, 04:40 PM
they charge money.....

Kawabuggy
May 16, 2009, 05:49 PM
You can also do a Google search for and it will turn up some great information.

I have purchased 3 Savages over the past month just for this reason.

SPUSCG
May 16, 2009, 05:55 PM
I wish there was a video on it, btw, have you had good luck switching barrels? Accuracy stay good?

the_right_reverend
May 17, 2009, 06:23 AM
I swapped out my .223 Rem sportster barrel for a varmint contour Shilen,
added a Rifle Basix trigger snagged a stock from ebay. worked up some handloads and came up with this tack driver

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z73/the_prophet_9/gun/sav1-1-1.jpg

WC145
May 17, 2009, 09:18 AM
They don't swap out like on an H&R single shot, there's a bit more to it than just unscrewing one barrel and screwing on another. Usually done by a gunsmith, or at least a VERY competent amateur gunsmith/enthusiast.

FALPhil
May 17, 2009, 09:21 AM
They don't swap out like on an H&R single shot, there's a bit more to it than just unscrewing one barrel and screwing on another. Usually done by a gunsmith, or at least a VERY competent amateur gunsmith/enthusiast.
Horsepucky. I could teach a blind monkey to do it in 5 minutes, and the average government-school-educated dweeb could figure it out by looking at it.

You need a barrel nut wrench an action wrench and headspace gages. That's it.

shooter_john
May 17, 2009, 10:04 AM
I am far from being a gunsmith, but I have built three Savage rifles (6.5x47, 30-06, and a 260). My 30-06 is capable of near .25 MOA accuracy at 100 yards. The 6.5 Lapua was sub .5 MOA most of the time too, but I sold it after tiring of paying $1/ pc for brass. After you've put one together, it takes less than ten minutes from there on out. As said above, you'll need the barrel nut wrench, an action wrench, and headspace guages (or you can use sized brass, but some folks don't recommend it... it has worked just fine for me).

As far as savageshooters.com goes, it is WELL worth the $12 that it cost to subscribe. You get access to all of the technical knowledge as well as the classifieds. (I got a 110FP in 25-06 with a B&C stock for $300 shipped, once upon a time... That's a deal I'd pay a $12 finders fee for anyday.)