PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry in your car?

TailGator
May 16, 2009, 09:20 AM
I am interested in hearing some discussion regarding how ya'll carry while in your cars. Do you leave your gun in your favorite belt holster (whether IWB, OWB, or SOB) and accept that you will be a bit slower accessing it while seated and working around the seat belt? Do you prefer a shoulder holster for this reason? Do you use a car seat holster, and if so which one(s) do you like? Or maybe you have a favorite way of tucking it out of sight with good access?

sam1chlt
May 16, 2009, 09:32 AM
I have been wearing one of these shirts for about a year( obviously I own more than one LOL) it is comfortable and breathes during hot weather. I carry my makarov as well as my Smith and Wesson compact .40 with ease. I leave my middle button on my shirt open allot of times in the car for easy access!

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=682b-w

TailGator
May 18, 2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks Sam. Comforting to know that you do your laundry occasionally. :D Doesn't it get a little expensive to have a drawer full of those to get from one laundry day to the next?

I was hoping to get some discussion of car holsters and other in-car options, but no one seems interested. Perhaps I should post in the handgun forum? Or maybe I should say something nasty about Glocks or 1911s, since that is a popular subject for discussion?;)

johnwilliamson062
May 18, 2009, 10:25 AM
well, since you brought up glocks...
I sometimes keep mine in my glove compartment in a kydex paddle holster. Not too easy to get to in a jam, but very comfortable and it is at least there.
I am going to purchase a crossdraw soon and that seems a good way to carry in the car. Not easy to conceal though.

Someone recommended the carjacker crossdraw to me in a previous thread:
http://www.andrewsleather.com/

I am not going to get that exact holster, but rather have one made with some of its characteristics and the characteristics of some other holsters.

Kreyzhorse
May 18, 2009, 11:17 AM
If I'm CCWing, it remains in its holster on my side. If I'm not concealing, I carry in the glovebox. Glovebox carry is legal for everyone in the state of Kentucky CCW or not.

J.Netto
May 24, 2009, 02:30 PM
A gun on the inside of your left ankle is very easy to access while seated in a vehicle. If I am going to be in the car for a while, or traveling during a busy time of the day, rush hour etc.. I'll carry a second gun - On my ankle. I've gotten so used to doing that, I carry two guns most of the time everywhere, regardless of what I'm doing.

hknut
May 24, 2009, 10:52 PM
I keep all my carry guns but my Sig 220 in their regular holsters. My 220, I have a now discontinued Galco holster meant for Police on stakeouts. Awsome holster while seated, but CAN NOT be use while not seated.

Tophe
May 24, 2009, 11:02 PM
I found this holster while searching for holsters. I have no experience with it, but it looks like it could be a good option.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/42.htm

hoytinak
May 24, 2009, 11:05 PM
I carry my everyday CCW IWB as I always do, but I also keep one in the glove box of my truck 24/7.

armsmaster270
May 24, 2009, 11:13 PM
on my hip.

gmanpma
May 25, 2009, 10:03 AM
As a Florida resident we have some interesting laws to deal with. I have a CWP which means as far as the car is concerned, I can carry in my pocket, but not have a weapon on the passenger seat. I just purchased, and am waiting for what I think is a great way to deal with car carry. Check it out, http://www.andrewsleather.com/, it is the Carjacker Cross Draw. I always have a thin wind breaker in the car for the concealed piece. I was talking to the owner and we talked about setting it up to attach to the seat belt. He told me how the idea for this holster came about. Long story short, an FBI guy was really embarrassed when he couldn't get to his gun in the winter. Shoot well.

drail
May 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
Cross draw rig. In the car and everywhere else. I've tried every type of rig available. I drive limousines in a bad town and a cross draw rig works in every situation.

pax
May 25, 2009, 12:38 PM
Love my appendix carry on the belt, and rarely carry any other way. In the car I find it's easiest to make sure my cover garment won't tangle in the seat belt -- the cover garment, not the seat belt, is usually what prevents access while seated in the car.

Sometimes for a long car trip I'll get lazy and carry in a fanny pack. It's very comfortable to wear while driving, and to tell the truth, I kind of enjoy the notion that some bad guys might identify what it is at a glance -- they'll move along to easier prey.

pax

J.Netto
May 25, 2009, 04:15 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of appendix carry as well. I decided to give it a try about a year ago, and I like it a lot. I'll also agree that it's pretty comfortable, even while seated in the car. When I leave to go to work at night, that is the main way I carry. Appendix/IWB, 5 shot small frame .357 - or Glock pistol of one variation or another.

xrx1113
August 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
p3at cliped to waist

or

45 para in iwb web holster

i dont think glove box is fast enough and dont want to deal with registration / gun in glove box if pulled over.
dont think loose in car good idea if in a crash.

mark in fl

MagSxS
August 15, 2009, 10:30 PM
anyone use an under the steering wheel holster? It would be bolted in.

I've seen it a few times, and always wondered.

jfrey
August 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
I thought car carry was the reason Dodge put that big folding console in their pickups. That's where most of the ole boys around here carry theirs.

Hog Hunter
August 16, 2009, 12:46 AM
I carry a M&P .45 in my truck (when i get in so does she) and actully have a serpa blackhawk holster bolted to the bottom dash, just under the sterring wheel to the right.

RogerThat09
August 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
I don't have a weapons carry permit yet, I have all my information ready in the envelope just have to send it out...
So with that being said I can't open carry in my car... so what do I do
Well I have a sig sauer gun bag that has little pouches for 2 guns and than a middle section for ammo or whatever, it even says Sig Sauer on the side which I point away from the me incase I do get pulled over. Well I leave the bag unzipped a little and I leave one of the pouches unzipped as well with the gun inside, and I can just reach in and grab for it if I need it, and if a officer pulls me over I can quickly zip the zipper all the way as its not all the way unzipped... also I have tinted windows that are borderline illegal.. just the way the car came when I bought it used.. Not that I want to break the law by leaving it unzippered, but I wouldn't see the purpose of having a gun in the car unless you can have quick enough access to it in a time of need... I would really like to get my carry permit soon, but everyone is sending away for them and the wait is almost 6 months now.. or at least I've talked to few people who have waited 6 months to get theres recently, and another friend took 5 months, and its getting even worst, at least in florida.. they even had a news report about how paper work for concealed weapons permit is backed up here in our area

JasonG
August 16, 2009, 08:27 PM
I apendix carry IWB and usually just leave it there. Works for my Taurus PT145 (2.5" .45ACP)
On long trips, or when I enter a criminal protection zone, I have a holster attached to the side of the console.

NightSight
August 16, 2009, 09:01 PM
Desantis Kingston Holster.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2063_70608812

JohnKSa
August 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
Things to consider:

You may be pulled over for a traffic infraction or a broken taillight or headlight. Put the gun where you won't have to move it to get to your registration/insurance information.

Make sure that it can't move around and is accessible. It won't do you any good if it's slid back under the seat where you can't reach it or gotten lost in a mass of gasoline receipts and napkins in your center console. If it slides up under the brake or accelerator during a vehicle maneuver that could be disastrous. Also, if the gun is loose in the car it may become a projectile during a violent collision.

Put the gun where it won't be a danger to you in an accident. If you attach it to your seat or carry it on your person make sure that it won't be forced against you during an accident. For example, your seatbelt shouldn't go directly across the pistol--if it does the pistol will be forced into your body if there is an impact. If you are small and wear a front mounted holster or bag be sure that it won't interact with the airbag in an accident.

avgjoe3
August 22, 2009, 04:37 AM
keep one in my iwb holster at my side and at least one in the glovebox, rifle and shotgun in the rack up under my camper shell... hmmm... if I get more vehicles I will not need as much room in my safe ;-)

ejfalvo
August 22, 2009, 07:19 AM
I have a Sig 239 40SW loaded with Hornaday defense rounds with extra mag in a Galco "planner" in the glove box. may not be the most accessible situation but it looks like the case that the car companies provide with the owners manuals, etc. i can get it out and ready in seconds.

Never leave it in the car thought - carry it like a planner once i leave the car.

Double J
August 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
Gun in trunk in case, unloaded, with ammo separate and not accessible as prescribed by our commie laws. Illinois of Amerika comrads. Be grateful if you CAN carry.

Malamute
September 1, 2009, 07:09 PM
Usually on the seat next to me.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_0912.jpg

MLeake
September 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
3:30-4:00, with a forward cant. As Pax noted, the issue is keeping the cover garment untangled from the seat belt. The seat belt itself is a non-factor. The forward cant is essential to grip access, though.

Or I may lock it in my center console vault, depending on what state I'm in. There are one or two where transport in the vehicle is ok, but my CCW has no reciprocity.

A friend of mine in FL has a mid 90's Chevy 4x4; it has a secondary glove compartment under the stereo, and he keeps a J-Frame there. Tap it, and it pops open, with the J-Frame in an attached holster. Pretty fast access, but it's not going anywhere without his drawing it.

IDAHOMIKE
September 5, 2009, 07:34 PM
This will sound silly, but I use a cheap nylon universal holder lashed to the gear shifter with zip ties and expoxy. My two primary ccw pieces are of roughly the same size, so when I get in. Out of the IWB, onto the shifter. Easy to access in plain view for traffic stops, at drive thrus my legs block view of it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

radioflyer
September 6, 2009, 05:09 PM
I've noticed that some drivers have installed a kydex style holster either under the dash to their strong side or (if you have bucket seats) on the side of the seat. This might be a little extreme, but it's effective

RyanJM
September 7, 2009, 02:17 AM
So my Taurus stays in the glove box or arm rest while driving. Take it out when I get to the range or house and put it in the carry case. While I'm at my shop I keep it in my fobus paddle holster concealed so I do scare customers who may stop to check on their cars. Soon as I het the chl in I will keep the holster on me but probably still keep the gun in the console for easier and faster accessibility.

litework
September 7, 2009, 09:25 AM
I wrap the strap of my Maxpedition Versipack around my center armrest. The bag, and the gun, sit in the passenger seat or on the floor behind the armrest-if I have a passenger. It's very secure and accessible. I keep the weapon's holster in the same bag, along with a ton of other goodies, and wear the combo when I leave the vehicle.

Claude Clay
September 7, 2009, 09:44 AM
the guns stay on my body

after i leave the house the car is my office and i am in & out of it all day.
one gun is carried for easy access while seated and belted [its the law!].
so my carry style for the 3 seasons--winter, spring/fall & summer
work for me according to how i dress and where i go.

is that not the reason for different style holsters and sizes & shapes of guns--
so you can choose?

Malamute--tough commute, ehh??

TonsofOregonBrass
September 7, 2009, 10:35 AM
I keep my weapons on me, IWB holster.

if it is a rifle to the range it is on the seat next to me.

Old Grump
September 7, 2009, 03:02 PM
Gun in trunk in case, unloaded, with ammo separate and not accessible as prescribed by our commie laws. Illinois of Amerika comrads. Be grateful if you CAN carry.

Same answer because I live in Wisconsin. I can open carry while not in the car but in the car I am in danger of getting my car, gun and hunting license privileges pulled for a few years because I must be a poacher if I have access to my gun.

Gutpile Charlie
September 7, 2009, 04:01 PM
24/7 I carry a J frame Smith in a pocket holster, right front pocket. On very rare occasions, I've used Bianchi shoulder rigs, however, pocket carry is the norm. On short trips around town, when I am exiting the vehicle to go into places in which concealed carry is allowed by law, I just leave it in my pocket.

Yes, I know you can't make a "fast draw" from a pocket holster, seated in a car, with a seat belt on, however, anytime I approach a situation in which access to a firearm while in the car might become necessary, I take it out of my pocket and place it in the lower center console, under the ash tray and radio.

On long, cross country trips, I just put it in that little drawer in the console. Now, when I exit the car to get gas, etc., it goes right back into my pocket. That is a place you might need it!:cool:

BIKENUT06
September 11, 2009, 07:02 PM
carry it in my center counsole for quick access

cb18bek
September 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
canvas pouch in the center console.