PDA

View Full Version : HK USP Compact vs P2000

MEATSAW
May 15, 2009, 05:54 AM
I am trying to figure out what is the better pistol. They seem to be designed around the same exact action, and have nearly identical features. The P2000 is slightly different in where the controls are located and with the interchangeable backstraps...but does this make it superior to the USPc? I was under the impression that the USP was the top HKs pistol line (excluding the Mk.23) but now am re-thinking that. Is the P2000 a re-engineered, re-designed, better USPc? I have no clue...help.

ENC
May 15, 2009, 07:53 PM
The P2000 is a newer design. It is very much like a USP. The P2000 is more ambidexterous. I have both and don't necessarilly feel that one is better than the other. If I had to pick just one I would go with the USP but more for sentimental reasons than anything else.

Evan

KCabbage
May 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
Greetings,
The 2000 is a bit slimmer in the grip, the barrel is a bit longer, and there is no safety. Don't let the lack of safety worry you. The V3 model has a heavy double action pull that I feel totally comfortable with.
I've owned quite a few pistols and I gotta say none of them has felt as nice as the 2000 :)
Take care

Axel357
May 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
"I've owned quite a few pistols and I gotta say none of them has felt as nice as the 2000"

That's what I thought until I fondled a P30. Wow.

The grip on the P2k is certainly better (IMO) than the USP's and it is more ambi-friendly if that's even a concern for you. However, the USP has more options for how you can carry it, with the safety and all. Have both, love both.

The Terminator
May 16, 2009, 04:58 PM
I found 2 flat magazine bases for my USP C 40 last night. So, for $8.00, I have the same height as the 2000 has with finger rests on it. I checked this at the gunshop, not something I just thought up. ;)

I believe though, if the 2000 that I looked at would have been sa/da, I'd have picked it instead. I don"t see how the 2000 could have a longer barrel, it is a shorter gun, but someone said that it does have a longer barrel. Anyhoo, happy with my USP 40 Compact. Best - Ted

To add: Hey, what can I say about the grip? They both felt fine, I'be been holding glocks for a long time. The Hk's and Sigs do have a more comfortable feeling grip. They come closer to the mother of all grips on an auto, and that is the Browning HP. Right?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z292/Othalt/hkcompact1.jpg

Dubs
May 16, 2009, 05:25 PM
IIRC one of the bigger upgrades in the P2000 is that H&K put on a normal rail instead of the USP proprietary rail that requires more expensive accessories - if you're into that.

Cawdor
May 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
I was under the impression that the USP was the top HKs pistol line (excluding the Mk.23) but now am re-thinking that. Is the P2000 a re-engineered, re-designed, better USPc? I have no clue...help.
For me the most significant difference between the USP Compact and the P2000 (which I own) is the action. If you want cocked and locked, the USP Compact has it; the P2000 doesn't. If you want the LEM trigger, it will probably easier to find on the P2000 than it is on the USP Compact. I think the P2000 feels a little better in my hand than the USP Compact, but not significantly better. I agree with Axel357 about the grip on the P30. I tend to doubt that there is much difference quality between the USP Compact and the P2000, or any of the current polymer framed HKs. My guess is that the new guns are response to changes in the market place.

You can read about HK's line here (http://www.hkpro.com/contents.htm).

Nanuk
May 16, 2009, 11:37 PM
I have both, 40 S&W and LEM. The P2000 is the better of the two.

Archie
May 16, 2009, 11:48 PM
Both in .40 S&W. Both work well and shoot well. No problems with function or accuracy. Sufficient for self defense work, not target guns, as such.

The P2000 has a narrower grip and therefore, for my somewhat small hands, has a much better grip. And the big guys can put on the bigger grip strap and fill out their hands.

My only grip is it's a DAO affair - the one I'm issued. I would vastly prefer the SA/DA with thumb safety arrangement. But alas, once again I was not asked.

Kmar40
May 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
The 2000 is a bit slimmer in the grip, the barrel is a bit longer, and there is no safety. Don't let the lack of safety worry you. It's a heavy pull and I feel totally comfortable with mine. I carry a P2000 and I'm wondering what you are talking about. The trigger pull isn't heavy at all unless you are talking about the uncocked trigger pull. Of course, it won't be uncocked once you cycle the action to put a round in the chamber. Are you assemblying the weapon with a round in the chamber? Can't think of any other way (other than double striking) that you can get a "heavy pull" on a P2000 trigger.

The Terminator
May 17, 2009, 02:47 PM
Kmar40 is right. After a round is chambered, the trigger pull is very light. As light or lighter than a Glock, and much smoother. The guy at the gunshop had to give me a detailed lesson on how it worked. You will never have a long DA pull, unless you have to fire twice on a round that didn't fire the first time. It is not possible to have a long DA pull after chambering a round. This is a design feature to make the second strike faster than a tap-rack-and-bang drill. 80% of all missfires fire at the second strike of the primer, at least according to HK. With my own handloads, I find it to be closer to 95%. Still, the SA/DA is what sent me away with the Compact model. Why have a hammer, which I much prefer, if you can't cock it, or have the crispness of SA fire? I'm sure that this is not important at all for some, just my preferance.

So, if a short, safe-action type of DA pull is OK with you, pick the 2000. If you like SA/DA ability, go with the USP.

MEATSAW
May 17, 2009, 05:49 PM
If you like SA/DA ability, go with the USP.

What about the Variant 3 version of the P2000. It has the slide mounted de-cocker. I actually like this idea because it removes it off the side of the weapon where it could potentially get hung up or dig into your hip. That brings me to my next question though: how does the trigger reset (and trigger pull in general) on these two pistols (in DA/SA), and is it short like a Glock or long?

The Terminator
May 17, 2009, 06:20 PM
The 2000 series: I don't know all of the variants, but the LEM trigger works like this:

When you rack the slide, and chamber a round, the hammer goes back and returns with the slide, however, this cocks it the same as a glock would do. You have a short trigger travel to make the hammer go back and strike the firing pin. Bullet fires, slide racks itself, repeat. Now, if the trigger is pulled on an empty chamber, or on a dud round, the slide does not go back and reset the hammer. In this case, you have to send the hammer back with the trigger. This is a normal DA type of firing, a longer, heavier trigger pull. The best that I can say is that it normally operates like a short Glock trigger. On an empty chamber or miss-fired round, you have to reset the hammer with the trigger, not the slide. Long pull, (not really that "heavy") or light, short DA pull. Clear as mud?

Now on the USP model, like mine, you can do it a couple of ways as well. First, you can rack the slide and chamber a round. This locks the hammer back in SA mode, pull trigger and fire the pistol. Repeat.

Next method, rack the slide and chamber a round. Hammer is cocked as in the first example. Pull down on the combo safety-decock lever, and you decock the pistol. It is then fired either by first shot DA, or, you can manually cock the hammer and fire the pistol.

Third method. Rack, cock hammer, and push the safety-decock lever up insted of pulling down. Now you are cocked and locked, as in 1911 mode.

In any of these methods, you can manually fire the pistol in DA should you have a miss-fire, or you can manually cock and fire if you have a miss-fire. Clear as mud?

This being the case, you can see what I am preferring in the SA/DA mode vs. the LEM mode. Best - Ted

mnhntr
May 17, 2009, 06:35 PM
I own a USPc and have shot a P2000 and I like the USPc better. I think it depends on the variant also. I prefer the SA/DA with safety/decocker VAR10

KCabbage
May 18, 2009, 08:15 AM
I don"t see how the 2000 could have a longer barrel, it is a shorter gun, but someone said that it does have a longer barrel.
HK USP Compact barrel = 3.58"
P2000 barrel = 3.66"

P2000 trigger pull:
Apparently there is a little misunderstanding here. I should have included my variant which is a V3.

Variant 3 DA/SA(what I have) Double action pull = 11.47 lbs
Single action pull = 4.5 lbs

There are currently 5 or 6 different variants for the P2000. If you guys are speaking of the LEM trigger then yes, it's not that heavy. The V3 version on the other hand has a long heavy double action pull.

The Terminator
May 18, 2009, 09:50 AM
Kcabbage
I did describe the LEM trigger as being like a Glock, and it is. Didn't describe that DA of it as like a Glock. Right?

KCabbage
May 18, 2009, 02:12 PM
Kcabbage
I did describe the LEM trigger as being like a Glock, and it is. Didn't describe that DA of it as like a Glock. Right?
:confused:

My response was directed to those who called me out for saying I thought the P2000 had a heavy trigger pull.

The Terminator
May 25, 2009, 03:02 PM
Meatshaw,
I think that I settled the argument. I found a P2000, 40 cal, with the sa/da trigger for $700 this weekend. So, one USP Compact, and one P2000. Both .40 caliber, both sa/da. Question is, should I sell one, or keep them both? :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z292/Othalt/022.jpg
Night sights too.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z292/Othalt/021.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z292/Othalt/023.jpg
It came with this Serpa holster. It has a belt clip, and a paddle clip.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z292/Othalt/024.jpg

Tatsumi67
May 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
I've fired both the USPc and P2000 [granted in different calibers] but the p2000 was a much slicker gun, better placement of controls and generally easier on the hand.

Just my personal opinion.