PDA

View Full Version : To anyone with an 1911 and a HK USP.

edaleen
May 14, 2009, 10:11 PM
I am thinking to get either an 1911 or USP, but I keep hearing about the USP being a big gun and the 1911 being a better for a first time owner. Can anyone with both take pictures of them side by side so I can see how they compare? Thanks in advance.

Jim Watson
May 14, 2009, 10:15 PM
I no longer have the USP to model for you but can say the length and height are pretty close. The H&K is wider because of its double column magazine and broad slide design. Plastic is lighter than steel, though.

I traded the USP and kept the 1911 because I have been shooting them for a long time and get better hits. But the H&K will likely be more trouble free than the average 1911 mutant.

pendennis
May 14, 2009, 10:45 PM
I own four (4) 1911's - 2 Full-size, 1 Commander, 1 Officer-size. I also own an HK USP Compact, in .40 S&W. I used to own a full-size HK USP in .45 ACP.

My preference lies with the 1911, and its variations. They point better, have a nicer feel in my hand, and because I have historically owned and shot 1911's, they are my favorites.

The USP Compact is Commander-sized pistol, although it's a bit top heavy until it's loaded up with a magazine. It has a nice grip, although there's no replacement unless you file them, or get some type of grip tape. I like it because it works DA/SA, and can be carried in condition one, like my 1911's. HK's have double stacks, and they make for wide grips; a bit too wide for my tastes.

The full-size HK USP is too bulky for concealed carry, and doesn't have the balance of the 1911. The HK's are for everyone, but they are reliable, and simple in operation.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either.

TheTinMan
May 14, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have a USP Compact and a Kimber 1911 with a 4" barrel (true 1911 is 5").

Instead of photos, you need to go to a shop (or gunshow) where you can handle both and figure out which feels more comfortable and natural in YOUR hands.

What is the purpose of the pistol? If concealed carry, then the USP is thicker and prossibly harder to conceal. A high-end 1911 is prettier. However, the USP mag holds 12 rounds vs. max of 8 for a 1911.

You should also consider the H&K45 Compact - it is a newer design with supposedly better ergonomics. Again your hand(s) are the key here, but the 45 Compact has interchangeable backstraps which help fit the pistol to different shooters. Looks like it's actually thicker than the USP though.

FWIW the USP "Variant 1" functions most like a 1911. You can carry it "cocked & locked" (i.e. round in chamber, hammer cocked and safety on) like you would carry a 1911. This allows single-action operation, with a short and easy trigger pull. The double-action mode for the USP allows you to cock the hammer by pulling the trigger back, and, unlike a 1911, you can engage the safety without having the hammer cocked. Unfortunately, the double-action trigger of the USP is long and difficult IMHO.

Are you set on the .45 Auto cartridge? If not, there are much smaller H&K alternatives like the P2000sk (think Sig 357 cartridge). On second thought, a little pistol in Sig 357 is not a good idea for a new gun owner.

As far as best for a "first time owner", I have no idea why one would be "better" than another between those two pistols. In my experience, the H&K is more likely to be trouble free right out of the box but there are thousands of happy 1911 fans out there who would disagree. I think that a good double-action/single action revolver is the best choice for a first pistol because its operation is so simple and straightforward. Plus you concentrate on trigger control and putting bullets where you aim instead of being distracted by silly things like safeties and removeable magazines. And it's really easy to figure out whether or not it's loaded.

Hope this helps.

Hunley
May 14, 2009, 11:11 PM
Although I don't own an HK USP, I have handled them extensively and will get one in the future.

I DO however own a 1911. Personally, I think there are better "first gun" platforms out there. Regardless of price, a 1911 will be finicky on what it likes to shoot and what it won't feed without modifications. It doesn't take much to get a FTF in one. Ammo, magazines, extractor tuning, and the feed ramp could all need work before you get something you could truly rely upon for a HD weapon.

That said, if you are only looking at these two, I would go with the Hk. It will be more user friendly right out of the box. You don't want your first handgun experience to be a bad one.

HOWEVER, I would also consider looking at other calibers and/or firearms. Are you dead-set on these two guns? Does it have to be a .45?

edaleen
May 15, 2009, 01:04 AM
I have seen the HK45, and that is an option as well, I'm not going to pick up one of these anytime soon, but I was looking at the HK45 as well, it is around the same price range as an HK USP. I just wanted pictures of them side by side to see the difference in size and such.

edaleen
May 15, 2009, 01:05 AM
also forgot, this is ONLY for home defense/use.

rsxr22
May 15, 2009, 01:38 AM
well my opinion changes reading that you want it for home defense. I love the 1911 but in most cases the HK will be more reliable than the 1911 platform. Also, it has a rail and you will be able to add options such as laser/flashlight, things of that nature. You can get a 1911 with a rail as well but you will be paying more for it

PoorSoulInJersey
May 15, 2009, 06:13 AM
I've got the USP 45, the USP Compact 9, a Springfield TRP 1911 and a Kimber Stainless Raptor II 1911. They are two totally different types of guns.

the USP series are polymer frames with double stack magazine (12 rounds in 45 ACP) and have a DA/SA trigger. They can be carried cocked and locked, and have a decocker in the safety. Truly an awesome gun.

The 1911 is a single stack magazine (8 rounds in 45 ACP) and has a single action only trigger. You don't have to carry it cocked and locked, but you'd have to pull the hammer back yourself if you don't. It has a grip safety as well as a thumb safety. It's a classic, with a design that's been popular and successful for almost 100 years.

I'll take some photos if I have some time later.

marcodo
May 15, 2009, 07:23 AM
Have both the USP9 and a SW 1911.

Both are big guns no doubt...love them both. For the full sized USP you need medium sized hands or bigger (I think). Haven't tried the compacts yet.

If you can afford it (and to feed it) the HK45C may be the a really good option

My USP9 is the most reliable gun I own and my go to firearm. It can be DA/SA or carried Cocked and Locked if you choose.

For a first handgun purchase I would favor the USP

Really need to get both

rmt22
May 15, 2009, 07:30 AM
the 1911 (full size) is the finest shooting gun in the world IMO. It has a simple break down process and it points and shoots the best with very little recoil.

Other guns that are lighter are going to have MORE bounce and it can take away from the shooting experience.

If you are not going to get a 1911 then I would consider a 9mm b/c ammo is considerably cheaper.

I love my 1911 but recently purchased a sig p239 b/c of the cost of shooting .45 is just too high right now.

KCabbage
May 15, 2009, 09:31 PM
Get your buns to a store and handle them ;)

Stevie-Ray
May 15, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have 3 1911s and a HK USP compact. The HK was purchased for my first primary CCW. It proved to be too large, and a 3" 1911 took it's place and is perfect for me. The HK compact is approximately the slide length of a Commander length 1911. The full-sized 1911 slide is at least an inch longer. Width of the slides goes to the 1911 as slimmer by a 1/4". Width of the grip goes to the HK by 1/8", but slimmer grips for the 1911 would change that. Not a change for my large-hand uses. Any of the plusses of the HK go out the window when I pick up my 3" 1911, though. It is lighter, smaller, has less felt recoil, is far more accurate with the same ammo, and I prefer the 1911 platform to any other. My HKUSP45C is now relegated to a sometime carry or HD duties. It is still a fine firearm, but for EDC, I've found my holy grail in a small 1911. I've yet to purchase a Commander length 1911, but it is on my short list.

NWCP
May 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
I own a half dozen HKs in various models and calibers. I also own 1911 type pistols. I carry an HK in either 9mm, or .40. I prefer the double strike capability of the USP over the 1911 in the event of a FTF. They are also lighter and higher capacity. Another big plus... I've never had a failure of any kind with an HK. I enjoy shooting my Colts, but when it comes to CCW an HK always by my side.

DAVE RICHHARDS
May 16, 2009, 12:31 AM
I traded a Kimber that just would not work and stay working for for a USP .45C. The HK has never missed a beat. Is very accurate. Very comfortable to shoot. And offers a dozen different trigger options. My V1 can be used DA/SA or cocked and locked. Many 1911's need work right out of the box to get working. Once you get them up and running it's good.
From out of the box the HK will just require a little lube (actually it would probably run anyway) and it's good to go. Again 1911's aren't alway a 100% out the door. But they are flatter than the HK. It's probably going to take a good 1911 to shoot with the HK out of the box. If you want something that requires very little attention, is built rock solid, very accurate, get the HK.
If you're willing to take the chance a 1911 may need some work to get running 100%. And requires a little more TLC then the 1911 will serve you well.

NGIB
May 16, 2009, 03:56 AM
My 2 cents. I've had a number of HKs and a number of 1911s - still have the 1911s. I shoot a lot though, my favorite events are bowling pin shoots, and these are won generally by 1911s - mine included. The HKs I've owned are reliable, accurate, and extremely well made.

If you intend to shoot a lot I'd say 1911, something to load up and leave in your home for defense I'd say HK. (Actually, I have an XD .45 Compact sitting on my nightstand right now that's half the cost of an HK and every bit the gun)

Axel357
May 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
As requested by the OP, some side-by-sides:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2e2m2x4.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/24njq7b.jpg

Sorry for the poor pics, I did them really quick. Should give you a bit of an idea, though. They're about the same height and length, but the USP is definitely wider. If you have small mits the 1911 will be better. I feel the 1911 would be easier to learn on as well (slightly less recoil, better trigger, etc).

edaleen
May 17, 2009, 02:01 AM
Thank you very much for the pictures and I appreciate all replies to this topic.

jg0001
May 17, 2009, 02:04 AM
I feel the 1911 would be easier to learn on as well (slightly less recoil, better trigger, etc).

That's only (possibly) true if the HK USP he gets is a 45ACP and not the 9mm version as you showed in your picture. 9mm USP vs 45 1911; 9mm is far far less recoil. The heavier USP should even have less if not nearly the same recoil as the 1911, EVEN with both in 45.

Axel357
May 17, 2009, 11:23 AM
I did mean to imply that, yes, that's obviously true only when comparing the same calibers. And the USP is certainly not heavier than the 1911.

And BTW, the 1911 in my pic was a 9mm, so they were in fact equal :cool:

Dr Crane
May 17, 2009, 12:44 PM
Having the same problem deciding, tried USP compact 45 thinking it was what I wanted only to find out I did not care for the long hard trigger pull. Need to try a 1911 next. Definitely you should shoot both before you decide.

Stevie-Ray
May 17, 2009, 07:25 PM
The heavier USP should even have less if not nearly the same recoil as the 1911, EVEN with both in 45.Well, it don't work out that way if the HK is a compact, even if the 1911 is a lightweight 3" model. My Kimber Ultra CDP has less recoil than my HKUSPC, shooting the same 230 gr HydraShoks. As I said above, it's just another reason to go with the 1911 for me.

pilpens
May 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
I have both, HK USP 9mm and a 1911 kimber in 9mm.
The HK in 9 is mild in felt recoil but the kimber has less felt recoil.
The 1911 feels better in my hands. The HK feels fat and the grip is short for such a big gun. The grip on the HK is sharp.
Both are accurate.

HK - able to engage the safety with the hammer down.

PrivateEye87
May 25, 2009, 06:10 PM
I need a little guidance .. does every 1911 need some work to be 100% .. even those of Springfields N Kimber that claims 100% performance out of the box??
Coz the place where i live, it will cost me too much to send them back for work. I need a 100% out of the box .. can i rely on Springfields ??

comn-cents
May 25, 2009, 06:44 PM
Have both can't go wrong with either.
I shoot the heck out out of my HK's without a problem.
I like 1911 but like the HK even more.
HK more rounds, lighter, all the triggers are good if not better than good.
You can put the saftey on and rack the slide chambering a round and it's very safe. I think that the it is a bit safter than a 1911 for newbies for that reason plus a decocker.
I know keep your finger off the trigger and they are both safe.
Just my 2cents