PDA

View Full Version : My Sendero WAS mismachined

MikeMurf0505
May 14, 2009, 12:41 PM
As I suspected, the chamber/rifiling machining was miscut.
Nothing against remington, but it was.

I will be posting thier on line analysis when it is available, and will have a new barrelled action in my stock returned to me in "several weeks".
Apparently the actions come assembled to the barrels so they can not re-barrel it as I had hoped.

HOPEFULLY, this one will have a better final inspection than the last one I got. If it does not I'll just McGowan re-barrell the action and get paid back by Remington through whatever means I need to.

What a SHAME huh?

milky7272
May 14, 2009, 12:49 PM
The same thing happened to my .300 ultra mag sendero replaced the whole gun. The barel was not tightned down all the way and when you did, it would not chamber a round. So head space was not carect when tightened.

MikeMurf0505
May 14, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well well well.
ANOTHER mis machined Sendero?
WHAT are the odds?

Maybe Remington's best days are behind them?

I know if I get another substandard rifle back I'm taking it to court for my damages - PERIOD.

$100 just in range fees - forget powder, tips, primers, gas, time, solvent, etc...
Not to mention a wood chuck trip cross country to find out the gun was not going to shoot right at all.

Heartbreaking.

Was your replacement ok? Please tell me the replacement they sent you was ok.

MikeMurf0505
May 14, 2009, 12:55 PM
How did you fine out the barrel was not tightened all the way? I'd LOVE to know how you found that out.

milky7272
May 14, 2009, 01:18 PM
Replacement was awesome! :) its my primary deer gun. The reason i knew it wasnt right it was shooting 6-8 " groups. I'm not a great shot but pretty decent. Took it to Brent Mullis who is a remington man he said barell wasnt tight and when he did tighten it the writing was way out of alighnment and would not chamber a round. Some really bad things could have come from the whole incident (injury or death), but remington gave great cutomer service in resolving the issue.

milky7272
May 14, 2009, 01:43 PM
Sorry I missed the last thread. Mine was a diferent promblem all together. See above post.

MikeMurf0505
May 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'm offended too.....Those shipping charges are steep. And I used a whole bottle of solvent getting the barrel cleaned between shooting sessions trying out different rounds for accuracy.

It was VERY offensive (that ammonia is a killer).

davlandrum
May 14, 2009, 02:24 PM
I wish they would just refund your money and tell you to buy a different brand...:cool:

davlandrum
May 14, 2009, 02:26 PM
Da Rules say:

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Had to violate a few of them at least.

MikeMurf0505
May 14, 2009, 02:27 PM
I would have gone for that.
Then I would buy a 700 action, and get it super match grade barrelled lapped and squared up by McGowan and save myself the anticipation of weather or not remington was doing the job right on the replacement.

What happened to that company?

Art Eatman
May 14, 2009, 02:51 PM
People can either play nicely together or get gone from my playpen.

Art

MikeMurf0505
May 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
I have always owned Remongton guns.
From my first Model 788 in 1977 to this Sendero (956 dollars!).

If Remington wants to maintain it's reputation, it should maintain it's reputation.
Calling me a "di_K doesnt change anything. The fact that I am not the only one on this forum who had a bad Sendero is proof of the problem beyond dount.

My original accessment of the issue was correct. The relentless defenders of Remington, at my expense, need to understand that.
300 tips
2 LBS of powder
300 primers
$100 in range fees
150 man hours of cleaning, reloading, measuring OAL, etc...was DRUDGERY.

I thought it would be best to inform the forum of this mess created by purchasing Remington's most expensive (outside the 40X) gun.
If that hurts some followers of the faith, so be it.

Horseman
May 14, 2009, 03:10 PM
No hurting here. My Sendero purchased new in July of 08' is one of the finest guns in the cabinet. Right up there with the Sako 85 and the Kimbers IMO. Thing is a Jewell trigger on a smooth high polished bolt 700 is a thing of beauty. It's as smooth as my Kelbly full boat custom. Sounds like they're not all perfect but if I have to read all the gripes then I'll sound off when I get a good one. Mine's usually around .5" groups with match bullet handloads outta the box(cept for the trigger).

MikeMurf0505
May 14, 2009, 03:16 PM
That was the problem with this gun.
I DID shoot through 1 hole at 100, then it didnt, then it did...like it was trying to, but I was doing something wrong.
It took me 300 rounds to lay down for the problem becasue I had such confidence in the gunmaker.

I took three deer with it 20 days after I bought it - one of them an 8 pointer at 100 yards running as fast as he could - directly through the heart.

The only question I have is how the hell does Remongton let thier top shel gun get out of the shop like that?
Thats all I want to know.

dipper
May 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
Mike,

I have read and re read both of your posts now and sorry, I just have to say that you don't have a CLUE of what you are talking about and then you come on a forum and degrade Remington.
It is obvious to anybody that has fitted and chambered barrels that you don't even use the correct terminology when describing your "problem"
I have been a tool maker for over 32 years and have chambered rifles and barreled actions (along with other things) for years.

So, I REALLY doubt that your chamber was "out of round" or eggshaped.
If you meant to say that your chamber was not precisely machined WITH THE BORE and is "running out" from the bore to some degree, I'll buy that because on a FACTORY built HUNTING rifle, I can just about guarantee you that it WILL
NOT be running with the bore to one degree or another----you want a chamber to run to .0002 with the bore?? Hire an "accuracy" or "benchrest" smith to do your work and then pray he has a good day.

YOUR method of checking the chamber is flawed beyond belief also----I asked in the previous thread how much is it off??
YOU don't know and will never know by your method because you don't understand what is going on and how your method can not possibly tell you anything worth knowing.
I asked you about neck turning your cases if you are just going to neck size your brass and you said "why on earth would I do that."
That statement SCREAMS that you don't have a clue.
Here's a tip for ya....the closer your chamber is cut, the more troubles you can have in some cases.
To top it all off, you are complaining about a hunting rifle that you say will shoot .250" groups with some loads.

You should just be happy that Remington is HUMORING you at this point instead of threatening to sue them.
You are a case of a little knowledge being dangerous.

You need to brush up on terminology and accuracy reloading techniques BEFORE you berate a company and make a fool of yourself.

Apparently the actions come assembled to the barrels so they can not re-barrel it as I had hoped.

Remington can do ANYTHING that can be done to a rifle---certainly re barrel one no problem....they're humoring you for now.

Wildalaska
May 14, 2009, 03:27 PM
This thread is a disgrace to this Board

WildiamashamedAlaska ™

Ridge_Runner_5
May 14, 2009, 03:58 PM
Mike, why is it that whenever somebody disagrees with you, they are from Remington and trying to denounce your complaints?

I really dont think that dropping $150 to have somebody else glass your stock is not pouring in blood, sweat and tears, as you described it.

I understand spending a lot of money on range fees. That sucks.

But to say that if they dont fix the problem to your specs that you will have an aftermarket barrel installed and expect Remington to pay you for that is good for a laugh...