PDA

View Full Version : I'm wanting to try 1911's again.

The Terminator
May 13, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have a line on a beautiful Springfield, alloy, silver colored frame, and a blue slide. Skeletonized hammer, extended beavertail, ambi-safety, skeletonized hammer, night sights, two piece guide rod that is held like one piece with an allen head screw. $650.00 It is very, very tempting. I just ain't had a lot of luck in getting them to shoot reliably. My Kimber wasn't very good, Charles Daly the same. My other Springfield was better. I'd still have a few ftrb's every range session. My Para P12 well, it was the worst of the bunch. I've never really had this problem with other autos. I don't want any camparisons to brand-X. I do want some opinions from others who shoot and carry them on a regular basis. Real life opinions. Geez, I want this thing because it is so nice looking, if nothing else. What does it take to get one to work well on a regular basis?

Dash
May 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
based on your previous posts, you really favor the glock and have bad luck on 1911s, it may not be for you, stick with a gun that you are accurate and consistent with. stick with your block, er glock.

verti89
May 13, 2009, 08:01 PM
yea and tell me how to get that gun!!

Storm52
May 13, 2009, 08:11 PM
I won't mention brands, although some are more reliable than others. From my experience a 1911 needs to be broken in with 400-500 rounds. I use a diet of FMJ. During the initial firing, I take note of ejection of spent cases, FTF/FTE and any oops. The note will include round number and ammo source.
Many manufacturers of 1911 supply their guns with inexpensively made magazines. If I run into feed issues or slide lock issues, that magazine is put aside and replaced with an aftermarket, normally Chip McCormick or Wilson. The troubled mag is inspected, cleaned, deburred if neccessary and tried again. Polishing feed ramp, may or not be required, depending on mfg and the the barrel supplier for the build. The extractor is another area that may or may not cause issues. If FTE are regular, then I look for burrs and the tension. First though I shoot it before trying to smith it.

The Terminator
May 13, 2009, 08:18 PM
based on your previous posts, you really favor the glock and have bad luck on 1911s, it may not be for you, stick with a gun that you are accurate and consistent with. stick with your block, er glock.

Maybe you should stick to posts that you can relate to. You really need to get an understanding of my first post before making such a reply, or better yet, don't reply at all. I make no apologies to you if you think that the 1911 can't take any critisms at all. My one rule in posting is DFTFT. Apparently, I broke it with you. Find someone else to post with.

Storm52,
Thank you so much. It may well be that I have had cheap magazines. I'll remember that.

yea and tell me how to get that gun!!

No way dude! I think I'm gonna get that sucker for myself. I am, er maybe was at this point, waffling between it and an HK P2000.

alloy
May 13, 2009, 09:13 PM
Both of mine(diff brand than you mentioned) were sluggish at first, failure this, failure that, too thick on the grease below freezing etc. One gun is 23 years old but i bought it unfired last year, the other is the same brand but made last year. Same issues, 23 year difference in the manufacturing. Somewhere around 300 rounds each...they began working perfectly. Since the magazine subject came up i only have 7 and 8 rounders from the same company as the pistols and no problems with any of them. Series 80 type, and not what i would call custom or tight.

Now the pistols are great, couldn't be happier.

J.Netto
May 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have never really had any issues with 1911's. Pretty much all I've ever bought are springfield and Kimber. I've always wanted to try a Para. Basically I just use the higher dollar mags. and for me it really does make a difference. I know I'm not the only one that has said that about the magazines, but that is the only reason I could think of, as far as a 1911 giving you some troubles. If I were you, I would buy that Springfield. Give 1911's another chance. Wait, can you hear that? That Springfield is calling your name!

IanS
May 13, 2009, 10:20 PM
I haven't read your other thread about Glocks and 1911's so anyways here goes.

Read the article by Hilton Yam in my signature below. Keep in mind his recommendations are for LEO's who are seeking to issue them and the problems of keeping all of them in running order. But I think his general recommendation apply to anyone who wants to keep a 1911 running for the long run.

- I've owned 1911's since @ 1995 most of them Colt Gov't Models. All of them were single stack, steel framed, 5" barrel, and had internal extractors. The original design. (except for one SW1911 with an external extractor that worked fine for the 1000 rounds I had it.) My experience with 1911's has been pretty uneventful, as in not a lot of drama.

- If it was up to me I would stop all these manufacturers from making 1911's with double stack mags, barrels less than 5", chopped frames, frames made of aluminum. If they did I imagine the complaints about 1911's would reduce dramatically. Unlike modern pistols like the Glock 17, SIG Sauer P226, or HK USP's the 1911 isn't as amenable to chop jobs (making them smaller). The .45 ACP round is tough on smaller guns and its tough on springs (timing issues) and small parts. Notice even the Glock 17 has a better history of being reliable throughout the years than the Glock 26 and even the Glock 19. Shorter slides, faster cycle time means smaller margin for error for engineers and poorly put together guns. There are shorter 1911 that seem to work fine but there are many more full size 1911's that are more reliable and more durable. Its about playing the odds.

- Use good magazines. CMC Powermags, Wilson 47 (7 round), or Tripp's Cobra. The extractor is just as crucial. Most 1911's costing under $1000 come with extractors that are not tensioned properly which are poorly fitted and usually of poor quality parts. A trip to a gunsmith usually cures this.

- I love 1911's but there's no reason why anyone has to own a 1911 if they already have another platform they are proficient with. If I had to choose between my SA Professional or my Glock 17 for self protection I'd keep the Glock 17. Its just easier to train with, a bit more reliable, just as durable, and easier/cheaper to fix. But I have a passion for 1911's and that is all the reason I need. The Professional Model on the right has a little over 11,000 rounds. I've had about 4 failure to feed and 2 double feeds. Some were mag issues, some ammo, and maybe just the gun itself just didn't feel like working that day. Not sure cause I was too busy "Tap, Rack, Bang! or just cursing when it double fed :rolleyes:(definately weak mag spring and worn followers)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/Ian111/IMG_0661.jpg

Chui
May 13, 2009, 11:07 PM
I REALLY NEED a Springfield Armory Professional... :(

Hunley
May 13, 2009, 11:08 PM
Magazines, extractors, feed ramps, and barrel throats. That's what 1911 FTFs are made of. The magazine is the easiest one to fix. I have had success with Kimber Pro-Tac and Wilson Combat in my SA GI Model. As for the other parts, I've gotta drop the gun off with the smith at some point. (Having some FTF issues and jams)

Sounds like you are gonna be getting a sweet deal on a sweet gun... BUT, make sure you go over it with a fine-toothed comb first. This is especially true since it is used. Have a smith you trust give it the once over for you if possible. Used 1911s are notorious for having untrained people do complex modifications and fixes that could affect performance.

I love 1911's but there's no reason why anyone has to own a 1911 if they already have another platform they are proficient with

AMEN & +1!

Dash
May 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
I love 1911's but there's no reason why anyone has to own a 1911 if they already have another platform they are proficient with

We have a winner!

dmazur
May 14, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have a pre-80 Combat Commander (some call it a Series 70 because it doesn't have the firing pin interlock) and a 1991A1 Commander.

The Combat Commander was reliable with ball ammo but didn't like hollowpoints. The feed ramp had maching marks on it! I didn't like the idea of fooling with it, but as I read more about 1911's, I realized this was a product you bought from Colt, then sent it to a gunsmith to finish it. Throated and polished, it fed hollowpoints fine, until I decided I needed more magazines.

Fast forward many years to the 1991A1 Commander. Gee, it was throated and polished from the factory! (Probably Kimber competition helping Colt see the light...) Fairly good trigger pull, but it had a little creep. Still looking for reliable magazines.

More reading. Internet research + books.

I replaced mainsprings with slightly lighter ones, replaced firing pins with titanium, and replaced the 1991A1 trigger with a short trigger to match the Combat Commander. I then polished the trigger/sear surfaces and got the pulls to 4.5 lbs on the Combat Commander, 4 lbs on the 1991A1. Both crisp.

I got Chip McCormick magazines and had slide lock trouble on last round, so I replaced the followers with Pachmyer followers. Got a front sight staking tool and replaced the sights on both with plain black notch style. Slightly oversized rear notch.

Practicing for IDPA, I realized I could pinch my palm nicely, so I added 1/4" base pads to the magazines.

I believe I can buy something similar or better than this for $1200 or so now, but I wouldn't trade the experience (and fun) I had working these two up so they are reliable.

AZAK
May 14, 2009, 02:52 AM
I will start with what I have said many times before, 1911s are pretty much a "You love them, or they don't really do much for you" kind of proposition.

That said, the longer that I have had guns, the more I am truly appreciating my 1911s. I like the ponies. My most recent gun purchase was a new Colt Commander, which has gone back to the factory after the first range session with a few issues. (Note: this is the first Colt that I have ever had to have sent back "home" for work, all of my others over the decades have been excellent.)

Remember that "1911s" come in many flavors; many manufactures, degrees of "tightness"/customization, materials, lengths, etc... And the amount of customization possible with after market parts and gunsmith work is very large. So when talking 1911s this can be a very broad statement.

Good mags are very important. I like Wilson Combat. A not so good mag can ruin a perfectly good 1911's day.

Something about an outing with an accurate, great functioning, crisp trigger 1911 that can "move the soul".

IMHO

txstang84
May 14, 2009, 06:42 AM
Nooooooooow it all makes sense, I didn't notice this thread before the other one

dude-get it :D

RickB
May 14, 2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:

Maybe you should stick to posts that you can relate to. You really need to get an understanding of my first post before making such a reply, or better yet, don't reply at all. I make no apologies to you if you think that the 1911 can't take any critisms at all. My one rule in posting is DFTFT. Apparently, I broke it with you. Find someone else to post with.

I think he does have a point. You've owned four 1911s of various brands, and apparently had more trouble with each of them than I've had with the fifteen or so that I've owned, combined. If the guns plain don't work, why do you want another one? I love the 1911 design, and even like most of the guns that are based on that design, but I like them because they are reliable and durable, and all the stuff a sidearm should be. If I'd owned four, and none of them worked, I'd be inclined to look for a gun that did. Confidence in your weapon is important, and if I'd had a track record with any gun that you've had with 1911s, I don't think I'd want another one. I've never owned a Glock, and probably never will, because I see (see, not "hear") the functional troubles that other people have with them. Lots of positive commentary on the internet and (especially) in Glock advertising, but my experience is that they're only average in reliability, and even then, I have to put up with the ergonomic shortcomings; why would I want one?
That said, it sounds like that Springer is a screaming deal. :)

Kreyzhorse
May 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'd blame your problem on the guns you've owned, not the design. Seems like you've been dealt some bad hands, but a well made 1911 should perform without issue.

Not sure what Springfield you are looking at, but I'd guess maybe a Loaded model? Anyway, Springfield has a great repuation for their 1911's and their customer service is second to none if you do have a problem.

As far as my experience with Springfield, I own a TRP 1911. Have had zero FTF or FTE with it. Very accurate, well made with great fit and finish. The only thing I've done to mine is replace the full length guide rod with a standard GI rod and plug. Doesn't make much difference in the function of the gun, but I'm not a fan of the FLGRs.

Only you can make the call to jump back on the 1911 train, but if you do, a Springfield is a great place to start.