PDA

View Full Version : another war hero butchered

feets
May 11, 2009, 11:06 PM
I was poking around at used guns and ran across a sad sight in a pawn shop. It's a nickel frame with UNITED STATES PROPERTY and NO 1933336 on the side. There was something else stamped on the front but I don't recall what it said. There were no mfg names on the frame. The left side of the frame had an FJA stamped into it.
The number puts it into 1944 Remington Rand wartime production but the inspection mark drops it into Ithica territory if my info is correct.
The sad part is the butchery. Brace yourselves. It's not pretty.
The trigger guard was welded up and squared off. It's got the bow wave breaker on the front too. Not being satisfied with that alone, the "builder" took his sharpest punch and "stippled" the bottom of the guard as well as the front of it somewhere between sixty five thousand and eleventy billion times. The marks are deep and pointy.
A mag well was grafted to the frame. I couldn't see it well because of the wrap around grips but I imagine it was welded.
The main spring housing was blued with a crosshatch pattern. An old school (non-functional) high gloss stainless beaver tail with the really round stubby profile had been fitted. The hammer was a smallish lightweight affair that had been worked on top. On the side was an antique nickel Pachmayr slide stop and nickel thumb safety. The trigger was an aluminum three hole piece.
Upstairs it was slightly better. It was topped with a (mostly worn off) blued Ithica slide and Colt Mk IV Series 70 barrel. The sights were an early form of "tactical" or otherwise hot rod items dovetailed in. The rear was a peculiar two piece affair with the white outlined notch sights floating above and behind the pinned on dovetail. The front was an orange post. Naturally, it sported a prehistoric full length guide rod.

Now the demons set in. I've been man-handling all kinds of 1911s lately. I'm simply grabbing them and doing a quick point. The muscle memory is still there. The 1911 feels like a gun should.
This one points for me like none of the others have. It feels right. The trigger feels pretty nice. The slide is fairly tight on the frame.
The gun is calling my name. I can hear it still.
The asking price is cheap. Dirt cheap.

I don't normally take any interest in stuff like this but I just gotta know.
Should I do it?

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/91/l_5a6db0546252421c8efc779a2bbc02a7.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_3750299615b047b397b10613cdc39838.jpg

JWT
May 11, 2009, 11:28 PM
Certainly not a thing of beauty. The trigger guard is down right ugly IMO. Not sure I could take it home even if the price was ridiculously cheap.

supergas452M
May 11, 2009, 11:54 PM
Buy it!

Shadi Khalil
May 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
What's dirt cheap?

bdb benzino
May 12, 2009, 01:05 AM
Alot of what I like about some pistols is originality, knowing that not many people have what I have. I say go for it, chances are no one else will have one like that. As long as it funtions good..... the bad guy on the other end of your pistol isnt gonna care what the trigger guard looks like.

txstang84
May 12, 2009, 05:22 AM
the bad guy on the other end of your pistol isnt gonna care what the trigger guard looks like

...neither will the paper target or soup can downrange :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure I care for it, but if the work to the trigger guard is that bothersome, could you smooth it out yourself with an assortment of files and dremel bits?

Otherwise-if it feels right, and you like it and want it-why are you askin' the peanut gallery? :p

If you dig it-go for it

Jim Watson
May 12, 2009, 06:22 AM
It was probably munged up 30 years ago when the local gunsmith could start with an $80 gun and there were still SAAs and Winchesters the average collector could afford instead of getting all misty eyed over inspector's marks on army surplus.

feets
May 12, 2009, 12:41 PM
It's not dirt cheap anymore.
The guy I spoke to yesterday said "about $300."

I stopped in at lunch today and the guy working there called the shop owner (he's out of town). The old man twisted off and said no less than $500.

I told 'em good luck and walked out.

ChileVerde1
May 12, 2009, 01:03 PM
You know guys, sadly that thing will be probably sold as a "highly customized" piece out of an "exclusive" collection to some poor unwitting schlub instead of someone who really appreciates the greatness of what she once was!!

Kreyzhorse
May 12, 2009, 02:55 PM
I'd be hard pressed to drop $300 on that beast but $500..... that's just crazy.

txstang84
May 12, 2009, 03:21 PM
$300...it might actually get the nod if the fit and finish were nicer, and if it were a solid shooter. But, as kreyzhorse mentioned-definitely not $500...oh well. It'll be valuable to someone

Hellbilly5000
May 12, 2009, 05:44 PM
someone will buy it
I watched someone buy a 9mm baby eagle at a pawn shop for 600 bucks.
Then I was nice enough to tell him it retailed new for less then that and depending on what store he actually bought it at it may run as low as 449 new.
He was not happy when the clerk at the counter told him no refunds

Stevie-Ray
May 12, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'd drop $300 on that in a second. $500? Not sure, but if it was here in front of me, I might.

denfoote
May 12, 2009, 06:17 PM
I stopped in at lunch today and the guy working there called the shop owner (he's out of town). The old man twisted off and said no less than $500.

It probably sat in the back room for a millennium until you took an interest in it.

Then the First Law of Acquisition came into effect!!

The owner wouldn't happen to be Ferengi, would he???

ENC
May 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
I would own it at 300 for something to tinker on, and work on my refinishing skills. 500 is way too much.

Evan