PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying an old 22

xringer
May 10, 2009, 09:39 PM
This is an old 22 that my grandfauther passed down to me and i have no idea what it is. I am needing to figure out what its worth to insure it.

xringer
May 10, 2009, 09:59 PM
It will only accept 22 shorts if this will help anyone.

James K
May 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
I am sure that rifle has sentimental value, which cannot be insured. As for dollar value, I don't think it would be worth any special insurance other than being covered in your standard home insurance as personal property.

It is what was called a "Flobert rifle", after the French inventor. Most imported here were made in Belgium and sold in the 1880-1910 era for $3-4 (a Colt SAA was $16). The first ones had no breechblock at all, depending on the mass of the hammer to keep the fired case in the chamber until the pressure dropped, and yours appears to be of that type. Value today is around $100 solely as a curiosity. Despite its age, there is little or no collector interest. Many gun shops will not sell those guns or take them in trade since the liability risk is too high.

I STRONGLY recommend against firing it, as modern cartridges are higher pressure and the empty cartridge case could come back into your eye.

Jim

xringer
May 10, 2009, 10:11 PM
thanks for the info

Jim Watson
May 10, 2009, 10:18 PM
Yup. Second type Flobert, improved with an actual extractor instead of depending on the case rim expanding into a groove in the hammer.

Clean it up, hang it up, don't worry about insurance. If it is stolen or burnt up, the hundred bucks won't replace the sentimental value and another one like it is not a shooter.