PDA

View Full Version : Eighty years old..and Packin' Heat!

Sport
April 12, 2000, 08:08 PM
Telephoned my eighty year old mother
the other day. During the conversation
She asked if I wanted a revolver that had
belonged to my father. I indicated I
did.
She told me she would mail it to me.

It took a couple of minutes explaination,
but I managed to convinced her it would
not be a good idea, and why.

She called this evening. She is flying
down for a visit in a couple of weeks.

She has decided to bring it with her then.

I've talked her through the process and
will follow it up with written
instructions to avoid any difficulties.

The thought of an eighty year old great-
grandmother "declaring" at the ticket
counter is interesting.

Even at her age, she has more energy and
moxie than a lot of people I know.

Ledbetter
April 12, 2000, 08:15 PM
You don't say where she's flying to or from. Keep us posted on what happens when she "declares." And tell her God bless and keep her from us here too.

Joe Portale
April 12, 2000, 08:49 PM
Sport,

I just love elderly people like that. It reminds me of my grandmother who once met a burgler with the the business end of an old mule eared double loaded with rock salt at the age of 76! Those are some tough people.

May God stand between her and all the dark places she must walk.

Zensho
April 12, 2000, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a neat woman. One of the few things that makes getting older not much of a big deal for me, is that I am looking forward to being a cantankerous old man.

[This message has been edited by Zensho (edited April 12, 2000).]

EQUALIZER
April 12, 2000, 10:19 PM
OOOpps! When I first read the title, I thought you were going to mention the 8 year old with a finger gun! Its a long story.....
I'm all for seasoned citizens RKBA. Reminds me of a similar aged female whose home was broken into up north a few years ago. The thief threatened her life and she used her equalizer to put an end to his.......End of story with a happy ending. :) The end.

Glad to hear that your Mom still has her health and good kid that looks out for her.
------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited April 12, 2000).]

EQUALIZER
April 12, 2000, 10:24 PM
Double tap - -

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited April 12, 2000).]

larry_minn
April 12, 2000, 11:42 PM
Maybe you should clean it and show her how to load, unload, shoot, and clean it. Then have her take it back to her home but put it in her will for you. I would much rather have my family have the protection IF they would know how to safely use it.
My sister thinks a can of mace I gave her 7yrs ago that has been in her last two cars will protect her. I doubt she could find it much less spray it "if it still works" in less then 2 minutes. :( :( Needless to say I have not given her a firearm for her home.

MissileCop
April 13, 2000, 08:02 AM
Somebody needs to videotape the expression on the counter agents face when your Mother declares the firearm! Man, I would LOVE to be there for that. Sport, you got one helluva' Mom, make sure she knows it on Mother's Day!! Awwww..heck, why wait? Let her know now.

Democracy- A government meant to be run by amateurs, not professionals

------------------
Times have changed, but the nature of man hasn't. That's why I always go to AA, "Alert and Armed". :)

Mikul
April 13, 2000, 12:44 PM
The great thing about many old people is that they take things at face value (this is also why they fly to California thinking they've won the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes, but anyway...). She just sees that she's taking an heirloom to her son. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Rick44
April 14, 2000, 08:27 PM
Sport

The story about your mom reminded me of a Little Old Lady here in Washington. Her husband had died a few years earlier and she lived out in the county alone. She had a REAL nice apple orchard. In this area, apples atract bears. She called the Game Dept. to ask what to do. They informed her that they were understaffed to take care of the prblem but that bear season had just started. "Oh, in that case, I'll take care of it myself." 77 years young, drives to the hardware store, gets a license and tag and fresh ammo for her late husbands old -06.
Come evening time, she grabs the rifle, a book and her blanket, and proceeds to the back porch. It took two nights. She called the local butcher to clean and process the bear.

They don't build many like that any more.

Rick

------------------
Guns cause crime like trailerparks cause tornados.

Ed Brunner
April 14, 2000, 10:10 PM
I love it. If I ever get old I hope I can do it too.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

foxfire
April 15, 2000, 04:59 AM
Sport,

My dad turned 80 a couple of weeks ago, as well!
(mom is only a year behind him)
He picked up his carry permit 3 years ago, takes his Glock everywhere, and more than holds his own at the range.
I'm proud and honored to still have both of them. :)
And I'm on my way to see them today - so I can give him his birthday present, which finally came in the mail, and after the Feds, et al., got through with it...

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.
No fate but what we make...

Juan Hunt Greer
April 15, 2000, 10:39 PM
Dittos to " zensho" I will be 60 soon and
already cantankerous and working on nasty.
As note from my handle-- crankshaft

Jeff Thomas
April 15, 2000, 11:07 PM
Great stories ... folks that are so old that they still believe they live in a free country. And, they often don't really give a damn about what the young whipper snappers think. ;)

If your mom decides to hold on to that firearm for protection, just don't have her put it in a will. The less paper the better, ya know. Sounds like you'll be around when she's ready to hand it off.

Congrat's on having a great mom. It will be up to us to keep that spirit of freedom alive in our families.

Regards from AZ

jeffelkins
April 18, 2000, 06:26 AM
My mid-seventies in-laws just moved into town to be closer to family. We took my father-in-law to the range and he had a great time! He sampled four 1911s, a Glock and three wheelguns. http://204.235.96.21/NonCGI/smile.gif

Blue Heeler
April 18, 2000, 11:54 PM
I shoot regularly with an 80 year old--He's
a tough guy.Regular Army when the WW2 started
sailed his own boat to OZ from S.Africa in
his 50's---doesn't know how to quit.