PDA

View Full Version : Fiocchi .45 230FMJs

MosinM38
May 3, 2009, 08:50 PM
Okay. I had a question (And I guess this is the spot?).

Has anyone else noticed if Fiocchi's .45 grain 230 grain FMJ's are permanently changed?

My case:

I have been shooting Fiocchi 230 FMJ's for a year, great ammo, cheap, and yet extremely accurate. The front site on my 1911 had to be welded up for it, so it shoots (Shot) dead on with it.

I used out of my old stock for along time. I bought some newer stuff, but always used from the old on the Oldest out principle.

Well...Recently my 1911 has REALLY been shooting low, as in 4-5 inches. I sorta dis-regarded it. I figured that it was because I been shooting my sig alot (Probably 650 rounds since I fired my 1911) and not used to it.

Tonight I became suspicious, so I took a box of the newest bought Fiocchi .45 (Batch #1-09-01) and a box that I know is older (Old batch #1-08-04), and the OLD box shot dead-on at about 40 yards (Far bank of the river) and the NEW box shot almost exactly 5 inches low (Confirmed by measuring at a fixed target).

Even at close ranges (20 yards) the new stuff shot at least 4 inches low. It seems to shoot a hair larger group size, but I cannot be sure (Armscor 1911, it mainly groups 2 1/2-3" so it could be shooter error, or even the gun)

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it maybe a bad batch? Or has Fiocchi cheapened it's ammo? I only have about 120 rounds of the "Good" stuff, and about 450 of the newer. I previously fired about 600-800 rounds of the older stuff.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

MosinM38
May 4, 2009, 04:56 PM
Well I had some more time today so I went out and steadily compared them (Where you can wait 2 minutes per shot just to be sure it's the same as before).

Basically if I hold it with anything less than a killer grip, the newer .45's shoot 3 inches lower (Not as bad as I first throught). Hold it VERY tightly (my 1911 ow has fingerprints in it's grip ;)) and they group the same.

Figured out where on the sight to hold, so I probably won't worry about filing it down any.

On a side note (That I know has been beaten to death), Man it's tough finding ammo. I was wanting more XTP ammo for my .40, 9MM and .45ACP, and although there's ball ammo all over, no XTP.

Ah well... Got 4 magazines worth for each, and when I start carrying (2 weeks before the CCW arrives. I am 95% sure I am approved from what I heard), I'll only have 2 magazines worth with me so...