PDA

View Full Version : OT - Seen the stock market today?

Dennis Olson
April 14, 2000, 03:18 PM
Currently...

DOW: -616 points (-5.64%)

NASDAQ: -356 (-9.71%)

S&P: -84 (-5.83%)

If my memory serves, "Black Friday" in 1987 only had a Dow drop of 587 points.

Gun-related: if the economy goes to [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] and we're dropped into a Depression (like Klinton would know how to save us!), what would be the "societal" result, and do you have enough guns/ammo to protect your family from looters? Also, are you/they emotionally prepared for what may become necessary on a large scale?

Matt VDW
April 14, 2000, 03:46 PM
Thank goodness I'm too poor to invest any money in the stock market. :)

I don't expect a serious economic downturn, though; the markets will probably bounce back to within a percent or two of their old values within a few weeks. Lots of investors have seen similar dips before and they're going to see this as a great opportunity to buy.

The only looting I'm worried about is that being done by the government. :(

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 04:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis Olson:
Currently...

DOW: -616 points (-5.64%)

NASDAQ: -356 (-9.71%)

S&P: -84 (-5.83%)

If my memory serves, "Black Friday" in 1987 only had a Dow drop of 587 points.

Gun-related: if the economy goes to [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] and we're dropped into a Depression (like Klinton would know how to save us!), what would be the "societal" result, and do you have enough guns/ammo to protect your family from looters? Also, are you/they emotionally prepared for what may become necessary on a large scale?[/quote]

One VERY important factor about 1987's Stock Market crash, Dennis...

That drop of 500+ points represent a total market index decline of TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT. Back then the market was at about 2,800 when the drop happened.

Today's drop was about 1/5th of that, because the market is nearly 5-fold higher than it was.

Don't follow the point value, follow the percentage. It gives the bigger picture.

If the market drops again Monday, Tuesday I'm going to start buying. And buying. And buying. --Mike

Oatka
April 14, 2000, 04:19 PM
I'm in the market and hanging tight as I have been through these downdrafts before.

That being said, I will be selling into the rallies as I think this 12-year Bull market is coming to an end.

Clinton has been the recipient of the luck of the OPEC gods, as the low oil prices have fueled (no pun intended) this economy IMHO.
Now you have the double whammy of higher fuel prices rippling through the economy and higher interest rates to trying to suppress inflation the oil prices caused -- not a pretty scenario.

I don't envy the next president, whoever he may be. My one hope is that a souring economy will be a detriment to Gore so Bush can get in. Warts and all, we gotta have a Republican in there to appoint those Supreme Court judges. If not, we get more liberals, and lose Souter to boot (quits in disgust), which we CANNOT afford.

Lock and Load? No, I don't think so (yet), but I keeping thinking of that Chinese curse, "May you live in 'interesting' times". I think they are a'comin'.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

Dennis Olson
April 14, 2000, 04:44 PM
Want to talk about PERCENT loss?

The NASDAQ, currently THE DARLING of Wall St., has lost 30%+ THIS WEEK ALONE!

Now, what were we discussing...?

Spectre
April 14, 2000, 04:50 PM
My co's stock is way down...closed at 104 7/8. I happened to sell a few shares (to pay bills and buy an STG-58) at 142. :o

MSN being attacked by the gov is at least somewhat responsible.

nebob
April 14, 2000, 05:07 PM
Historically, over the last 100 years or so, the market has always paid or grown about 10 percent on your investment.
The old smoke stack/Dow Jones companies still have to use the new technology companies to stay competitive.
I'm heavy in the tech stocks and moderate in the Dow.
The market is no place for the weak of heart, or the short time invester who thinks he can make a quick buck.
A falling stock market, a cuban crisis, a chance of being charged after leaving office- this couldn't happen to a better president!!

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 06:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis Olson:
Want to talk about PERCENT loss?

The NASDAQ, currently THE DARLING of Wall St., has lost 30%+ THIS WEEK ALONE!

Now, what were we discussing...?[/quote]

And I've been of the opinion that the NASDAQ has been HORRIBLY over inflated for the past year.

That's why I started syphoning my money (what little I have :)) out of these WAY too over priced technology stocks and dropping it back into blue chips for the past 3 months.

After everyone has bailed on losses, I'll start feeding money back in.

I think the NASDAQ is going to drop another 15 to 20 percent in the coming week, then it will start to find its own level.

This can't be happening at a better time politically, however. A big downturn in the market in an election year ALWAYS favors the challenger... :D

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 06:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spectre:
My co's stock is way down...closed at 104 7/8. I happened to sell a few shares (to pay bills and buy an STG-58) at 142. :o

MSN being attacked by the gov is at least somewhat responsible.[/quote]

Spectre,

My company's stock was up 16.7% today, and we're high tech! :)

Of course, you can't buy into my employer unless you work for the company. SAIC is entirely employee (well, less a few percent to former employees) held.

In our 30 years, our stock has never gone down, and since I started working for them it's split 4 for 1, and returned cumulative about 60%.

Selling off about $1.5 billion in Network Solutions certainly didn't hurt this quarter!

Greg L
April 14, 2000, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately tomorrow is April 15 which means that the check will be going out in the mail. If I wasn't sending that money off it would be going into the market. We generally try to buy some whenever there is a really bad day (in addition to the regular investments). If you are in it for the long term (which is the only way you should be in) these days should be seen as a buying opportunity not as the end of the world (as I'm sure the media is making it out to be). Also don't forget, you only lose money if you sell now. Your market value may be less, but if you don't sell then you don't actually lose any money.

bullseyekp
April 14, 2000, 07:25 PM
I don't think the economy is going to [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] but I do believe that investors are not going to like what the Fed may soon do with interest rates, and possibly the margin rate, in the next few months. People have got to realize that the market goes up AND DOWN. Plus, a little volatility doesn't bother investors who don't have a lot of captital, like me. The past eight years have been unusual to say the least and Klinton has nothing to do with it. Its the computers, stupid! That was directed to Klinton btw. Our very intellectual and preemptive Mr. Greenspan deserves his share of recognition too.

And yes, I've got enought ammo for nearly anything if a depression did occur, and I can make even more. :D

[This message has been edited by KP95OKC (edited April 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by KP95OKC (edited April 14, 2000).]

HankL
April 14, 2000, 07:48 PM
I did a little stock "shopping on sale" this afternoon. My main investments have always been pump shotguns and canned goods.

El Chimango Pete
April 14, 2000, 09:03 PM
Yep - guys here in south america are stocking up on colored beads and trinkets, bright cloths, mirrors and other good to trade with you guys in the north - just wait for the sails to come up over the horizon. We may even lay in a few 'fire-sticks' :b

Jeff Thomas
April 14, 2000, 09:26 PM
It actually would be good news from an RKBA standpoint if Clinton takes heat now for a falling stock market, higher prices, higer interest rates, etc. If the economy stayed wonderful, Gore would most likely win the election. History tends to at least 'rhyme', as they say. ;)

Oatka
April 15, 2000, 12:15 PM
For those of you who are ready to get out of the stock market and get into something
"safe", the following, picked up with no attribution, may be of interest. ;)

"The U.S. Treasury has just announced that it will sell three new types of bonds:

1. The Al Gore bond, which has no interest.

2. The Monica Lewinsky bond, which has no maturity.

3. The Bill Clinton Bond, which has no principle."

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

[This message has been edited by Oatka (edited April 15, 2000).]

Scaramanga
April 15, 2000, 12:44 PM
I have to agree with kframe19: The market has been over valued for some time now. This is more of an adjustment. Most of this has been due to high tech/internet stocks that have ridiculously high price to earnings ratios that are based on, essentially, air.

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

TJ2
April 15, 2000, 03:47 PM
if you added up all of the projected earnings that tech stock prices were based on a week ago, how fast do you think the GNP would have had to grow??? I'm far from an authority (on much of anything!), but we've been due for a correction for some time.

another 10 % and it'll be a good time to buy extra.

DC
April 15, 2000, 04:53 PM
If it wasn't for Clinton and the other treasonous swine, I could have gotten into the market because of this fall. Instead, I joined and contributed to various RKBA orgs and now have no disposable dinero :(

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

G-Freeman
April 15, 2000, 07:09 PM
It has been a long time coming, yet nothing to freak out about. The big market garden needs to be weeded out a little. A little pain for all but the most diversified. Be vigilant and patient. Studied optimism is contageous.

The most dangerous aspect in this situation are margined accounts and the Fed's potential response, even under Wiseman G. Innocents stand to lose greatly.

I will stay in the market because it is still greater than government in it's ability to empower individuals.

P.S., buy some gold too.

Red Bull
April 15, 2000, 07:13 PM
Crashing economy means that the talking heads have something else to talk about and the soccor moms have something else to worry about. That takes heat off gun control.
I have always felt that these wannabe-do-gooders have nothing else to worry about so they start taking on extra worries (like attacking guns). Give them something real to worry about, like their precious money, and they will forget all about the small stuff.

------------------
"Our cause has been aided by the deaths of all these children in all these schools, and in other settings. And I think we should pay tribute to them." - President Bill Clinton, speaking about enstating new gun control laws, April 12, 2000, Scripps Howard News Service Interview

Spectre
April 15, 2000, 07:28 PM
Good point.

paratrooper
April 15, 2000, 07:48 PM
For those of you familiar with the jargon. There's gonna be some buttkick margin calls on Monday . Since I am well spread in the Dow I only went down the same . About 6 1/2 percent . When you factor in some stuff that was risky from the giddyap I did O.K. . Although I must say that the market is so saturated today it's like fishing in your bathtub . You may catch something but it's something you already had . There's no free lunch unless you are right at the well head . Trickle down ain't what it used to be . Good luck .

------------------
TOM SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA