PDA

View Full Version : Lord High Moderators: How do I change my forum name?

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 11:41 AM
Through lengthy legal negotiations over topics such as rights, privledges, capabilities, accessibility, and dilution of identity, I have been forced to change my screen name. :D

Ok, I wasn't forced. I was asked, and since I was thinking about it, it doesn't make any matter to me at all.

I picked my screen name based on my yahoo e-mail address.

I now want to use my real name for my screen name.

How do I go about doing that? I can't seem to do it through the edit profile.... --Mike

DC
April 14, 2000, 12:09 PM
If you use the same e-mail address, we have to delete your current profile totally, including all past posts...then we have to re-index (which will slow the whole site down), and any thread you started will disappear. Then you will re-register as if you were new (which you will be)...you start at zero.
If you use a new e-mail addy, then we will just lock your old ID and you will register

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Mark Freburg
April 14, 2000, 01:24 PM
See, Mike, yer a total pain in the butt. What ARE we gonna do with you? Heh heh heh... :D

------------------
Mark

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 02:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Freburg:
See, Mike, yer a total pain in the butt. What ARE we gonna do with you? Heh heh heh... :D
[/quote]

No, I'm being POLITE to another member of the forum who has been posting under a similar name for some time. He asked politely, and I said fine, I'll change since I was thinking about changing anyway...

You should be so accommodating, you old fart!

:p

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DC:
If you use the same e-mail address, we have to delete your current profile totally, including all past posts...then we have to re-index (which will slow the whole site down), and any thread you started will disappear. Then you will re-register as if you were new (which you will be)...you start at zero.
If you use a new e-mail addy, then we will just lock your old ID and you will register
[/quote]

I don't want to lose all of my old posts...

Let me ask you this...

Can I do it by temporarily CHANGING my current e-mail address, which would allow you to lock the old ID, and then after a few days change my e-mail address back to my current one?

If not, I'll see if I can set something up with my other e-mail address that will allow message forwarding... --Mike

Long Path
April 14, 2000, 03:11 PM
It's no big deal to lose your posts... Just ask Don Gwinn, Oleg Volk, or George Hill. We don't give much status for mere number of posts around here; just quality! That's why you're a senior member after only 15 posts...

L.P.

DC
April 14, 2000, 03:12 PM
Nope...its a software thing. It won't allow more than one username to an e-mail addy.
If you use a diff. e-mail addy, all we will do is lock your old identity so that it can't be use, but there will be no need to delete, re-index, etc. Thus, your old posts remain.

Its, much much easier to just get a new e-mail addy.

------------------

DC
April 14, 2000, 03:22 PM
LP...
Oleg, George and Don also changed addy's so we didn't have to delete their old posts and go thru the re-indexing nightmare.

Kframe...there is no way we can transfer the old posts to your new ID, the software won't allow it, it is not a human decision...the only choice is whether to delete(as a consequence of the re-index) or just lock.
Like I said..a re-index will slow the whole forum down... and it takes a few hours. Personally, I am unwilling to impair the forum for a day just for a name change.

------------------

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DC:
LP...
Oleg, George and Don also changed addy's so we didn't have to delete their old posts and go thru the re-indexing nightmare.

Kframe...there is no way we can transfer the old posts to your new ID, the software won't allow it, it is not a human decision...the only choice is whether to delete(as a consequence of the re-index) or just lock.
Like I said..a re-index will slow the whole forum down... and it takes a few hours. Personally, I am unwilling to impair the forum for a day just for a name change.

[/quote]

You're unwilling to impair the forum? To HECK with the rest of the forum! :eek:

I've already got the new e-mail address, so I'll go that route.

Thanks for the information! --Mike

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 04:21 PM
WHAT THE HECK! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just tried to re-register using my hotmail address, and I find that Hotmail accounts have been banned? Whatforwhy? --Mike

DC
April 14, 2000, 04:27 PM
Cuz I figgered you'd grab a Hotmail and I wish to toy with you :D

Actually, we banned hotmail addys a few months ago due to trolls...try another pick.

------------------

missmanytoes
April 14, 2000, 04:34 PM
Mike,

Try mytalk. www.mytalk.com (http://www.mytalk.com) They have a 5mb inbox which I found to be handy.

-sarah

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 04:35 PM
Cuz I figgered you'd grab a Hotmail and I wish to toy with you :D

Actually, we banned hotmail addys a few months ago due to trolls...try another pick.
[/quote]

Trolls? Get a better exterminator! Don't make me feel YOUR pain! :D

Ok, I just re-registered with another yahoo e-mail address.

Do I let you know when I want to you lock this account?

I haven't gotten the new password yet... --Mike

Don Gwinn
April 14, 2000, 05:04 PM
BWAHAAHAAHAAAHAAA!

Don't listen to DC, she lies terribly. It's nothing she can help, something in California's water. She's harmless (well, sorta.)

Seriously, I didn't change my email address. :confused: ?

And I had no idea that all my old posts disappeared! I thought my "counter" just went back to zero. But I mostly post crap like this so it's no big thing.

Lavan
April 14, 2000, 05:14 PM
b-b-but "k-frame" is s-s-such a nice name.

DC
April 14, 2000, 06:02 PM
I'll lock Kframe after you post under your new ID

Bud Helms
April 14, 2000, 06:30 PM
kframe19,

Look who you're dealin' with here! She's a demon! Just kill yourself and wait to be reincarnated. Then you can be largeframetaurus! Haaaaaaa! :p

Yeah! She'll lock you alright! HA!

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 14, 2000).]

kframe19
April 14, 2000, 11:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sensop:
kframe19,

Look who you're dealin' with here! She's a demon! Just kill yourself and wait to be reincarnated. Then you can be largeframetaurus! Haaaaaaa! :p

Yeah! She'll lock you alright! HA!

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 14, 2000).][/quote]

You, sir, of all the souls whom I have met in my travels, are the one most in need of Prozac. :D

jeffer
April 15, 2000, 09:51 AM
You, sir, of all the souls whom I have met in my travels, are the one most in need of Prozac.

L-M-A-O!!!!!!

Bud Helms
April 15, 2000, 10:43 AM
kframe,

That hurts. That REALLY hurts (but I'll bet DC liked it). :rolleyes: