PDA

View Full Version : Tritium vs. Ghost Ring

Yodwinder
April 29, 2009, 10:27 PM
Which do you prefer, and why?

inSight-NEO
April 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
Ghost ring sights:

Advantages- Probably the best, IMHO, overall sight for its versatility when needing a sighting setup useable at both close and long ranges, easy to adjust, allows for quick target/front sight acquisition due to its relatively unobtrusive and generally forgiving rear sight aperature.

Disadvantages: Can become somewhat tough to manage a consistent POA/POI when used for long range shooting (at small targets) as it can be difficult to keep the front sight from "drifting" around inside the large rear sight aperature, since its a front/rear sight setup there is a bit more hardware getting in the way when dealing with "how do you do" distances regarding HD, more difficult/time consuming to replace, needs adjustment at times.

Tritium sights (Im assuming you mean tritium front bead):

Advantages: Great for close distances as there is much less hardware getting in the way which may hinder front sight "focus," ideal for HD ranges, easy to replace, does not (I believe) require any adjustment if initially installed correctly, inexpensive to replace.

Disadvantages: Cannot truly be adjusted to any appreciable degree due to its static nature, not very versatile thus limiting its usefulness to close ranges (medium range at best) unless one has sufficiently practiced using such a setup.

I could probably come up with several more thoughts regarding these two sighting devices, but those listed are the first thoughts that came to me. Keep in mind, my response is by no means "the final word" as I do not claim to be an expert in such matters. My thoughts about this are merely based on my own personal experience/preferences. Take from them what you will.

To sum up, I prefer a tritium front bead sight when it comes to HD due to its simplicity, quick acquisition and thanks to the tritium feature, its ability to function as an effective aiming "device" at night. In regards to the GR sights, I tend to prefer these for shooting slugs at medium to long ranges as they allow for good target acquisition, are easy to "see" and are easily adjusted.

Slopemeno
April 30, 2009, 09:16 AM
Scattergun Technologies makes their sights with tritium inserts.

Scattergun Bob
April 30, 2009, 10:16 AM
Actually many manufactures make Tritium Ghost Ring Sights!

If you are asking the well worn question, Bead vrs GRS inSight-NEO summed up well.

For me, I have settled on bead type front sights. These days I do infrequent slug shooting and slug hunt very infrequently. Back a few years when the prospect of engaging a threat at distance with my scattergun was possible I did carry a GRS mounted gun with slugs, as posted previously, having a fully adjustable rear sight is GRAND when shooting ball.

For buckshot, I prefer a bead type front sight, it is the quickest to the target and these days that is where my tendencies lay.

I now have a holographic sight on my hunting slug gun, have not blooded it yet. I am looking forward to testing it out.

Good Luck & Be Safe

colostomyclown
April 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
I prefer the bead. Nothing touches it in terms of target acquisition...which should be your number one priority in a defensive shotgun characteristic in my opinion. And it's fine with slugs too...just aim for the BG's abdomen. I don't believe in a shotgun as a long range weapon anyway.

Evyl Robot
May 1, 2009, 12:29 PM
I love my tritium front bead. Fast, simply, slick, effective. A HD gun should be fast and easy to aim in the dark. I've actually done some testing with mine, and it's a go! I can still manage to put three rifled slugs into a 5-inch group at 50-yards.

--Michael