PDA

View Full Version : Another gun buyback . . .

Oatka
April 10, 2000, 02:14 PM
. . . but they're getting smarter.

Or maybe not . . . "Toledo police have proposed another buyback program using $50,000 in city law-enforcement money to buy handguns at $50 each, with a limit of two weapons per person."
No "Straw Sellers" wanted. :)
http://www.toledoblade.com/editorial/news/0d10guns.htm

City, county to buy back guns

April 10, 2000

BY LISA A. ABRAHAM, BLADE STAFF WRITER

Toledo and Lucas County residents will have the chance for the next month to sell handguns to local law enforcement agencies for $50 each.

Today begins a month-long gun buyback sponsored by the Lucas Metropolitan Housing Authority and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Toledo police and the Lucas County sheriff's department will conduct the buyback and are expected to discuss details at a news conference today.

In February, the housing authority received $25,025 in federal funds to conduct the gun buyback, which is enough to buy 500 guns. The money includes a $17,500 federal drug-elimination grant and $7,525 in other federal money.

The law-enforcement agencies are conducting the program for the housing authority because of their expertise in firearms and crime investigations.

Andrew Cuomo, secretary of HUD, called the buyback "part of a strategy that will reduce the terrible toll of death and injuries caused by guns on our streets and in our homes across the country."

Handgun owners will receive $50 for each gun they turn in, with a maximum of two guns per person. The guns must be in working order.

Starter pistols, BB guns, and pellet guns will not be accepted, police Chief Mike Navarre said. Police will give residents a voucher for the amount they are owed for their guns. The voucher must be redeemed at a local bank within two days.

The program will run until May 12, unless money to buy the guns runs out before then. Guns will be accepted until that date at the Safety Building downtown and the and Scott Park district police stations.

They will be accepted at the following sheriff's substations: Substation 25 on Angola Road, April 10 to 21; Substation 26 on St. Route 2 from April 24 to May 5; and Substation 28 on Monclova Road from May 8 to 12. Police ask residents to make sure the guns they bring in for trade are unloaded, wrapped securely, and transported in the trunks of their vehicles, Chief Navarre said in his release.

Toledo police have proposed another buyback program using $50,000 in city law-enforcement money to buy handguns at $50 each, with a limit of two weapons per person.

The proposal is in city council's public safety committee.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

jcoyoung
April 10, 2000, 02:54 PM
Well, well. Another gun fencing operation paid for by our own tax dollars. Sickening...

denfoote
April 10, 2000, 03:05 PM
Good opportunity to turn some of those unwanted Smith and Wessons into some ready cash! ;)

------------------
BOYCOTT SMITH AND WESSON!!!
Defend the Constitution from the foreign threat!!!!

Andrewh
April 10, 2000, 04:04 PM
You know I always wanted to go to one with a couple of hundred bucks and pick up some nice antiques or some interesting guns. Just stand outside the door and offer to pay 10 bucks more.

Eric of IN
April 11, 2000, 07:56 AM
How can a police dept buy back something they never owned?
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.

jeffer
April 11, 2000, 08:57 AM
:D--Just a thought; lets set up a table next to theirs.
Big sign that says
{WILL PAY $55 FOR HAND GUNS}
The fine print will state after inspection. :D

Jeff OTMG
April 11, 2000, 11:51 AM
I am not too far from Toledo, but can't buy guns in Ohio. Any Ohio residents out there? Are there any restrictions on private transfers in Ohio?

Dark Avenger
April 12, 2000, 12:44 PM
Should we start a new forum with a listing of upcoming "buy backs" so that we can:

A. Be there with $ in hand to scoop up some bargains.

B. Be there with a presence to educate people about the evils of gun control and abuse of taxpayer $.

"I have never been taken with the idea of selling a gun. When you possess a firearm, you possess something of importance. If you trade it for cash, you have lost it - and the cash in your hand will soon be gone. Sell something else!" - Jeff Cooper

hoosierboy
April 12, 2000, 10:21 PM
They had a gun buyback here in Indiana. A hospital did it and the locals (g-d bless them) took thm to court because they didn't have an ffl. They protested outside and caused quite a stir. They wanted to buy them for more than what was being offered, butthey didn't have an ffl, but neither did the hospital. You also include the no questions asked policy, and you could arrset them with interfering with a criminal investigation. I am sure a lot of crime guns go that way.

Funny news story, they had one in chicago a few years ago and some 10 year old kid sold a broken gun and got a pair of nike shoes. The reporter smiled and said to the kid " wow you are so nice to help rid the streets of crime" The kid gave her a look and said what? That gun was broken, if it worked I would sell it on the street for triple the money! The reporter just stood there looking dumb.

SOme people just dont get it !

larry_minn
April 12, 2000, 11:48 PM
I wonder if they would give you the $50 for home made guns??? I won't go into details here but I am sure I could build a dozen for $50. Great way for crooks to dispose of guns used in crimes. Or broken guns.

fal308
April 13, 2000, 09:15 AM
And what of the NICS system? Will it be used during this buyback or will these be more "street" buys that they can add to their list of illegal gun sales?

4V50 Gary
April 13, 2000, 09:19 AM
Larry, I was thinking of the same thing and making myself the Zip Gun King. Sell 'em enough zip guns and you can buy a real one!