PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Pet Peeves RE:Guns???

VictorLouis
April 9, 2000, 02:42 AM
Magazine base plates that make them MUCH wider than necessary(unlike 1911 style).
Huge, ugly "blocks"of plastic to restrict a former hi-cap to 10 rounds.
Big "cuts" around the box for same!
Staked on, or integral front sights!
The expense of most modern firearms. :(
The cost of factory practice ammo????
"Parts must be fitted by the manufacturer on an exchange-basis only".
Novices w/finger on the trigger w/o muzzle downrange! :(

Dakotan
April 9, 2000, 12:29 PM
Being "swept" by someone's muzzle absolutely drives me crazy! I'm going to a gun show today, and am dreading the thought of how many times this is going to happen. I estimate I'll push away about a dozen barrels today; and then when you do this, they always get mad and say "It ain't loaded!". My usual reply is "Famous last words." Maybe I won't go to that show! Take Care- Dakotan

Bill in NM
April 9, 2000, 02:40 PM
Non-adjustable factory sights. Just pisses me off to no end.

Svt
April 9, 2000, 02:56 PM
$1000+ guns with CHEAP mags! $1500+ "custom" guns that only give you ONE mag. On the other hand, if you're paying that much for a gun, you can afford to buy more mags. Still, if I'm not b*tching, I'm not happy :D :D

------------------
Svt
1911 Addiction (http://users.supernet.com/taos/)
"Rangers Lead the Way!"

RikWriter
April 9, 2000, 03:29 PM
$1000+ rifles that don't come with a case from the factory.
People who buy $600-1000 defense handguns but then won't spend $50-100 on a good holster to carry it or $30 a piece on quality magazines.
People who buy a >20 ounce gun in a serious caliber and then wonder why they can't shoot it accurately.
Crappy, creepy, loooong, hard DA trigger pulls on defense handguns.

Gunslinger
April 9, 2000, 04:08 PM
Minimum wage hired help paid to answer the phone at the manufacturers and after market parts suppliers that know nohing about guns or gun laws. Their desire to agrue about availablity and laws governing parts seems to be in direct perportion to their lack of knowledge on the subject at hand. I wasn't calling to ask their advice I was calling for parts.
As the saying goes, "Don't worry about the mule, just load the &^#%^ wagon.'

Ordering a barrel for an 1894 Marlin and receiving imitation pearl grips for a High Standard Natchez. "Sure we'll take the part back. All you have to do is pay the shipping both ways and a small restocking fee."

And as an after thought that I am sure is shared by everyone here: My biggest firearm pet peeve is: Smith & $%*&^ Wesson
------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited April 09, 2000).]

ctdonath
April 9, 2000, 04:48 PM
People who, having discovered I've studied weapons for years with hundreds of hours of training from top instructors, start telling me all about guns when they've never (or barely) even touched one, as if I'm the idiot and they're the expert.

Worst case of this are those trying to make stupid anti-gun laws.

Maddock
April 9, 2000, 05:37 PM
The assumption that power or magazine capacity will substitute for skill.

Glenn E. Meyer
April 9, 2000, 08:51 PM
A subsection of Carl's comment.

Tell someone you are a shooter and two have told me (to chest pound) that they once shot
a 1911 and it DAMNED NEAR tore their arm off.

I'm just an average guy of middle age and
physique. I still got two arms. Even after
a 44 magnum.

I also wish someone else would make a 223 semi-auto of reasonable price besides Ruger.

Also I wonder why a tiny P32 costs $230 and
a big fat Winchester 1300 costs the same.

I want a reasonable $100 mouse gun (yes I did
take economics but why deal with that).

Cliff
April 9, 2000, 09:56 PM
1) What Dakotan already mentioned about muzzle sweep... worse, muzzle stare. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago at a gun shop. A guy was inspecting his handgun, and the muzzle was pointing right at my gut from about 3 feet away. Turns out he was a detective with the local sheriff's dept.

2) Uncased weapons at the range stowed behind the yellow line with actions closed. Also, people who get belligerent when confronted with the unsafe aspects of same.

3) The relatively poor quality of manufacture of modern firearms compared to those made even 30 years ago. These are for factory standard models.

4) The ever increasing use of plastic. Call me hidebound, but I like metal and wood. I do admit there are some advantages to synthetic stocks. :)

Cliff

Bud Helms
April 9, 2000, 10:07 PM
Cliff:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Uncased weapons at the range stowed behind the yellow line with actions closed. Also, people who get belligerent when confronted with the unsafe aspects of same.[/quote]
Make that people who want to argue or get belligerent about ANY Range Safety violation. And act like they've never been briefed!

Whoo! 'Gets my panties bunched up!

sbryce
April 9, 2000, 10:52 PM
People who carry and think they need to let the world know.

People who carry and brag about the stupid (and illegal) things they have done with their carry gun.

jcoyoung
April 9, 2000, 11:57 PM
Muzzle sweep is a big one for me. For station #8 in skeet, this guy I no longer shoot with always turned around for the low house in a counter-clockwise direction, with the MUZZLE sweeping at waist level, LOADED! :mad: The same guy did the same thing with me at in indoor range w/ a .357Mag. I guess the key words are "guy I no longer shoot with".

Hungry firearms. They keep digesting all my ammo and I have to spend more money on their 'food'.

George Hill
April 10, 2000, 03:07 AM
1. Forward slide serations on 1911's.
They are ugly and to me - useless.

2. Poor Triggers in Factory guns.
There is NO REASON for a gun company to be putting out these nasty triggers we are seeing. Heavy - Gritty and just plain sloppy. I dont care if its a DAO Pocket Rocket with no sights... whatever it is - it needs a good trigger.

3. Poor frame to slide fits... Many guns out there have nasty fits and slide rails only slighty worse than BLM managed roads. Gritty, binding, poorly fitted, sloppy sloppy sloppy.

4. @*#$*!#*!!~@!*!@#$*@#$

5. Same as 4.

AF Shooter
April 10, 2000, 07:35 AM
1) Magazine disconectors

2) 10 round mags in a 16 round weapon

3) Plastic / Tactical Tupperware

4) Next Day Air that isn't :(

------------------
Tom Whitman
SSgt, USAF

fed168
April 10, 2000, 06:40 PM
cleaning
cleaning the chamber of the AR 15
people who read a couple gun articles and know more than you do, even though they have not shot any
people who have not shot and can tell you how your tactics don't work (the last two directed at an in law)
stories of bravado that are actually confessions of the stupid (and probably did not happen, as an LEO I have heard my fair share)
Improper handling and care of firearms
The list is too long, I will hop off the soap box for the next in line.

Balming!
April 10, 2000, 09:45 PM
People who don't know the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine".

Balming

http://balmingsmilitaria.safeshopper.com/

Svt
April 10, 2000, 10:19 PM
Couple more....

Pinned sights

People who bash certain type/manufacturers of firearms and NEVER EVEN shot them.

People that buy guns that cost several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars and then go buy cheap ammo for it.

A person that buys expensive guns and gets a cheap holster for it.

People that buy expensive guns and get a cheap belt for their cheap holster... and on and on and on...

PLASTIC TRIGGERS on Colt 1991's

OVER EXAGGERATION of MIM parts

Gun magazines embellishing articles on firearms.

Gun magazines that have the same articles every other month.

Jeff Thomas
April 10, 2000, 10:39 PM
1. Firearms laws that make the Internal Revenue Code look like fair and logical legislation.

2. Politicians who want a new law, without having a clue about existing laws.

3. Police chiefs who are willing to sacrifice me and my family to their illogical, politically-motivated arguments to disarm civilians.

4. People who don't appreciate that most folks involved with firearms are the salt of the earth. Including most firearms companys, who actually provide free owners manuals to people who didn't even buy their product new.

5. Firearms owners that don't give a rat's a** about the other person's freedoms, including their desire to own a shotgun / rifle / handgun, etc.

6. People who believe that 'semi-automatics' are automatic weapons.

7. People who believe that AK-47's and AR-15's are machine guns.

and, last but not least,

8. The fortunately rare bozo who flies in to TFL, wastes our time with his / her rudeness, and then flies away ... never realizing they have found the apparent epicenter of knowledgeable RKBA discussion on the 'net.

LongDuck
April 11, 2000, 12:31 PM
How about stopping power 'stories'. I was at an Airshow last weekend and the Army National Guard was there with an M2 .50, an M249 SAW and an M16.

The camo-clad warrior was telling me that the 5.56 round was so powerful that if it hit you in the pinky bone, it would reverberate up your arm through the bone structure, damaging everything along the way to scrambling your brain - killing you instantly.

Damn. That is one powerful cartridge.

Oh, and did I mention Marshall and Sanow?

TAZ
April 11, 2000, 02:12 PM
Not having enough guns to fill up my safe.
Not having enough time to shoot more.
Smith and Wesson
Bill Klingon
Not being able to break someone's nose for sweeping me with their muzzle.
Hypocrites who profess to be pro RKBA, but support waiting periods, mag caps and assault weapon bans.
Smith and Wesson
Bill Klingon

------------------
"Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes."
-R.A. Heinlein

Big Al
April 11, 2000, 02:27 PM
(1) Prices for pre-ban Glock mags

(2) A 250$ .32 pistol that costs more than a Mossberg 500 12 gague (and darn it, I want one)

(3) People (friends) who own more guns that I do, who shoot more than I do, who spend 2000$ a year on guns and ammo but won't shell out ten bucks to join the NRA

(4) Listening to my dad and uncle call me a radical, but they both own more guns than I do and both have CCWs

(5) 22 magnum shells that are 5 times the price of 22LR

(6) Three dollar gun parts that cost 50-75$

(7) And - oh yeah - prices for pre-ban Glock mags.

------------------
"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam

wakal
April 11, 2000, 02:58 PM
I second the 'recoil' complaint...my wife, also an NRA instructor in pretty much everything, loves to hear from people that tell her just how painfull the .357 is, and how the .44 mag will rip a strong man's arm clean off.

She shoots her .454 Casull with one hand.

Heck, in one class we ran last year, an 8-year-old girl shot it, no bleeding from the eyes or anything :)

So, one of my big hates: people who tell you how bad recoil is...who have never shot the caliber in question.

Also, to shamelessly steal, I HATE 15 round pistols that hold 10 rounds.

Alex

Dennis
April 11, 2000, 03:00 PM
I love guns but I'm getting crotchety 'bout people. I thought y'all had hit
my biggest "peeves" talking about muzzle sweep and the other good ones
above.

Then TAZ comes in with, "Hypocrites who profess to be pro RKBA, but
support waiting periods, mag caps and assault weapon bans."

Ya GOT me! (Yeah, and the neighbors panicked again, the 9-1-1 dispatcher
called again and chewed me out again for loud, vulgar language!)

So let me add to Taz's comment: The Republicans, the NRA officials, and
the gun owners who have compromised away the vast majority of our RKBA
with a fervor and rationalization that would astound even (Arthur) Neville
Chamberlain. Yet they insist on advocating “just a little more” gun control to fight “big” gun control and call it a philosophy.

This failed program of appeasement apparently will continue until we have
nothing left with which to resist.

(Dang it, TAZ! Ya got me in trouble *again*! ;)

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited April 11, 2000).]

chink
April 11, 2000, 08:04 PM
My pet peeves.

My stupid friend who doesn't understand why I love my 1911 and why I want a revolver. And the fact that he refuses to even look at the 1911 as an option to buy because the technology behind the 1911 is almost 100 years old. And the technology behind the revolver is older

Stupid people who own guns, but shouldn't be allowed to own gun, like my other friend who it normal 90% of the time, but everyone in a while, a screw pops loose and he gets stupid.

My stupid front sight on my 1911 cuz it came off

People who sit at home waiting for the ATF to come knock down their door. I have news for them it ain't gonna happen unless you go outside a little bit and start raising hell.

People who refuse to go shooting with me. I ask all nice like and I tell them the first time is free and they still won't come out. arg.

People that want me to put a scope on my AR-15's because "its more fun that way". That person needs to learn how to shoot well with iron sights first at a decent range. Then he can shell out the money for the scope

Not having a range under my house. So I can shoot at midnight when I really need to get the stress out of my system.

People

chink

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

EQUALIZER
April 11, 2000, 08:25 PM
I could rehash what most of you already said, but here's a couple more:

RKBA "Supporters" who complain about ever increasing gun laws, then turn around and support the enforcement of EXISTING gun laws. But then maybe I'm an "extremist" for wanting to REPEAL ALL existing guns laws.

The philosophy that liberty, including the RKBA, is a FAVOR granted to us little peons by our elected supereors; rather than a God given RIGHT that was recognized and honored by our American forefathers.

That we can not purchase, own or operate any conventional hand weapon of our choice. Unless its Okee Dokey w/those superior to us.

The glee that is expressed by a gun owner when they get their permission slip from their superior saying that they are now allowed to defend their loved ones, whereas had they done so w/out permission, they would be fined, removed from said loved ones, thrown into a small room w/a bunch of criminals.

Here's one for the manufacturers:
High price tags in exchange for junk.

I'm done complaining.....Next.....

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ

Correia
April 11, 2000, 09:24 PM
Morons who spin guns on finger.

Morons who like to show their gun collections, and pass them around, loaded, to complete strangers.

Morons who keep dozens of guns loaded in their room, unsecured, in a house full of non-gun informed people, because "an empty gun is just a club".

Morons who think that whatever their pet gun currently is is the greatest thing ever created and everything else is crap.

Wait a second! This is all the same person! It's one of my old room-mates, imagine that. :)

u2glock
April 12, 2000, 05:46 AM
1. Idiot duck hunters and skeet shooters who say "why does anyone need an ak-47"?. In other words, people who hunt or shoot trap /skeet that don't care about the rights of others to own semi-auto rifles and handguns.

2. Guys who buy a 800 dollar rifle and put a 50 dollar scope on it.

3. Manual safeties on handguns.

4. Magazine disconects

5. Heavy double action trigger pulls on revolvers. (listen up Ruger)

6. large, bulky grips on small j-frame,pocket revolvers

7. Double action only, large frame, semi-autos--except for glock which is not really double action only but called "safe action"

8. people who don't observe gun safety

9. Long arms that come from the factory without sling swivel studs already installed

10. Gun stores that have everything but don't have what I want.

*** 11. Most important. Given the current political attitudes toward firearms, if I ever have kids, they won't be able to enjoy firearms as I did when I was young. For example, we used to talk about fireams in school all the time when I was a kid. I used to get into big arguments with the teacher about gun control and what not. Today, I would probably be removed from class and put on a "watch list" for such "subversive" behavior. Makes me not want to have kids. :(

[This message has been edited by u2glock (edited April 12, 2000).]

Robert Foote
April 12, 2000, 06:38 AM
Seeing my hobby become a political football, with the 'dialogue' dominated by morons.

The creepy feeling that in spite of being a 'good guy' for fifty plus years society is measuring me for a coffin, or at least jail clothes.

Shooters who won't/can't do ANY homework on their own. (How did they ever get through school?)

Same shooters with shallow opinions who know it all ('My cousin owned one and it was junk'.)

Shooters who think they 'need' $2000 guns, sharkskin rigs, Sabertooth Tiger Claw ammo and exotic finishes to shoot pop cans properly.

Shooters who wave gun muzzles towards me and wonder why I get upset.

------------------

George Hill
April 12, 2000, 06:59 AM
index finger rests
point shooting