PDA

View Full Version : Different POI between shooters

spruilldog
April 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
Is it common for two different shooters to get different points of impact with the same gun and same set up with same ammo? My son and I were shooting this weekend. Same gun on a solid rest. Both of our groups were about the same at about 1-1.25" on average. His groups were consistently lower and further right than mine by about 1.5-2". Again, group size was the same but POI differed consistently (three groups apiece). This is his gun so we made scope adjustments to put his groups where we wanted them.

hogdogs
April 27, 2009, 09:36 AM
Try this... You fire the gun with 2 or 3 different head positions and see if your POA/POI varies...
Brent

sundog
April 27, 2009, 09:36 AM
Not unusual at all.

jmr40
April 27, 2009, 09:37 AM
Fairly common when shooting iron sights, less often when using scopes. I'm guessing you are monnting the gun differently and parallax is the problem.

Art Eatman
April 27, 2009, 09:56 AM
To expand on the above: Odds are that your son's different hold on the rifle has his eye in a slightly different location with respect to the centerline of the scope. It takes very little parallax for there to be a slight difference in POI.

I check for any parallax problem by sandbagging the rifle with the crosshairs on some target-point. Then, if the crosshairs appear to move around on the target when I move my head a little, I know that I need to do some sort of adjusting (if possible) or be sure to be uniform in how I mount the rifle to my shoulder.

If it's only an inch or so on a hunting rifle, I don't worry about it.