PDA

View Full Version : Serial #'s and the NICS

foxfire
April 9, 2000, 07:58 PM
After all these many years, I finally bought my first firearm through the mail. The problem began after the pistol arrived at my local dealer/gun shop last Wednesday. The complete serial # was not written on the infamous yellow form (OMB #1512-0129), at the time of the background check. So the pistol was placed on "hold", and the local PD was notified and quickly placed it in 'protective custody'. The incorrect serial # was for a similiar pistol, which was stolen from a private collection back in Jan., 1992.
About 20 hours later, the mistake was discovered and this time the pistol received the NICS stamp of approval.
I was called and amid many apologies, safely brought it to its new home. :)
It's was good to see our tax dollars at work (?).

Moral of the story:
Make sure the correct serial # is written down at the time of the NICS check. Watch and double check what the dealer/sales clerk writes down.
It saves a lot of grief and a sleepless night or two...

Has this ever happen to anyone else?

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.
No fate but what we make...

gunmart
April 9, 2000, 10:06 PM
hmm email me with that dealers name.i would be curios.thanks

Kframe
April 10, 2000, 03:39 PM
I don't know what OMB form you're refering to, but the yellow form I know of is the 4473.
Yes, the serial number is recorded on that form, but the SN is NEVER given to NICS.
They don't know anymore details about the firearm other than Handgun, Long Gun, or Both.
I've bought several guns "through the mail".
Technically, the gun is transfered from the original owner to my local FFL dealer, and that is where I fill out the 4473.
The original owner, if a dealer, will make note of the Xfer in his permanent bound record (the "blue book"), and the local FFL will enter the gun into his blue book. When I fill out the 4473 the local guy makes an entry in his blue book noting the disposition of the firearm.

I'm certainly not disputing your story, I just don't see how it could happen.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the situation.
-Kframe

Paul Revere
April 10, 2000, 03:46 PM
And it goes without saying, you are now the proud owner of a fully registered firearm. Congratulations!

foxfire
April 10, 2000, 06:59 PM
Kframe,

No offense taken.
I'm just trying to keep everyone from experiencing what I went through last week. I forgot what the yellow form was generally known by, and was referring to the number in the upper right hand corner of the 1st page. Mea culpa.

This is from the narrative copy of the police report that I have:
"When the weapon was run through Inst. Check it showed to be stolen...from the San Jose CA Police Dept OCA #9201139636 NCIC #6590633260. The date of theft listed on the weapon was 01-13-1992. A call was made to the ATF weapons identification section. San Jose PD was then contacted and it was confirmed [by rechecking the serial #] that this was not the correct weapon. The weapon was then reentered on NCIC. The weapon was returned...to be released to the proper owner."

Guess I'm more confused than ever. If the NICI or NICS, or whatever its called, does not need or require serial #'s - then who or what does? Does each individual State do its separate 'check', apart from the Feds?
All I know is that some agency, somewhere, told my dealer that the pistol was placed on "hold" and that the local PD had been notified and was coming to take it away.
And they did.
But I got it back.
Maybe I should leave it at that...

------------------

Woodman
April 10, 2000, 07:18 PM
My state was among the first to have instant background checks on handguns. With NICS going on line, the procedures have remained the same: Neither the State or the Federal Government receives the Serial Number at any point before, during or after the check. If there is any serial number checking, it occurs after an event with an arm. The serial number given or in possession of the LEO is then traced from the manufacturer, to the distributor/dealer and then the FFL dealer's bound book and if sold, their personal copy of the Federal Form 4473 to identify the individual the arm was transferred to. No copies of the Form 4473 are required until there is a trace request. The story you relate does not fit any of the Federal procedures in the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4(01-00)). I don't know what, but something else was going on here. Woodman

Kframe
April 10, 2000, 07:57 PM
Oh, I think I see where the confusion is.
NCIC=National Crime Information Center
An FBI run database of crime, criminals and weapons associated with such.

NICS=National "Instant" Check System
Actually, the National Incompetent Clinton System.

I have heard this mixed up before.
Yes, when a gun is stolen or involved in a crime apparently its make, model, serial #, caliber, etc are entered into the database.

But, it is true that NICS is not given the model or serial number. That info stays on location forever or until the shop closes at which point all records are sent to the ATF for archiving.

-Kframe

foxfire
April 10, 2000, 08:29 PM
Woodman,
You're right; something just doesn't add up here.
Guess I could go to the local PD and ask for some info. Just don't know what questions to ask, though.

Kframe,
I appreciate you pointing out the difference between NICS and NCIC.
I think that Tennessee might have its own 'instant check system', maybe something called TICS (?)
Again, I'm curious - but a part of me says to leave well enough alone...

------------------