PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P95-decocker no safety versus decocker with manual safety.

B.N.Real
April 24, 2009, 06:46 PM
Well,I just picked up my second P95 today and was much surprised to see that it had no manual safety.

Just the decocker lever.

So I guess when I load this gun up,rack the slide and rest the hammer,it's essentially,just like a double action/single action revolver.

That's not bad at all to me because now I can load this puppy up for my wife just tell her to point it and shoot the burgular.

No manual safety for her to get confused about.

I also like the loaded chamber indicator that the external extractor appears to be.

My old P95 has the manual safety with the decocker made into it.

That will be my Ruger.

Any information you have on the decocker versus safety with decocker or these P95's as well,I'd like to read-thanks in advance.

medic176
April 24, 2009, 08:39 PM
I really like the decocking without the manual safety. I've had a P95 since 1998 and don't see ever parting with it due to the same reasoning as you mentioned, the wife knows she can point and pull the triger until the BG falls.
The gun is an excellent point shooter.
I've never had any problems with mine.

JohnKSa
April 24, 2009, 09:14 PM
That's my preferred configuration for DA/SA autopistols. No chance of accidentally leaving the gun on safety but you still have the ability to do a safe decock without touching the trigger.

B.N.Real
April 25, 2009, 05:07 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I always like to see what the forum thinks.

I'll just have to remember to thumb up that safety on my P95,should I ever have to use it.

Probably won't but you never know.

Feels good to have fifteen rounds plus one for the wife.

Burgular this.

Thanks medic176 and JohnKSa.

wnycollector
April 25, 2009, 06:08 AM
All but one of my pistols that I use as CCW's are DA/SA w/ decocker. The oddball is a CZ-40B that can be carried DA/SA or "cocked and locked". When I carry it...its DA/SA. I love the simplicty of it.

blume357
April 25, 2009, 06:14 AM
I have a Ruger P89 with a safety and it drives me up the wall.

I was going to point out that you were wrong about the loaded chamber indicator... is the one thing I wish they had put on the P95... then I decided to go look at two of mine... and you know what?

You are right... not that it is a loaded chamber indicator but you can tell if there is one in the chamber... the extractor does stick out just a few millimeters when there is one in the pipe.

Thanks for teaching an old dog a new trick!

Leejack
April 25, 2009, 07:15 AM
Either way works for me.

My P90 Terminator came with the manual safety. No problems here.

Lots of internet hype about forgetting to take a safety off, thus the popularity of the decock only version.

I say practice with your gun until it becomes part of you. If you have a safety, it will be off if the need ever arises.

LeopardCurDog
April 27, 2009, 04:19 PM
I have a P89 DC and love it. Works the "same" as a DA revolver. I'd make sure the wife had plenty of trigger time on it, and understood exactly how it works though. She'll love it.

Shadi Khalil
April 27, 2009, 04:32 PM
I agree with what John said, it just makes things alot easier. The only time I ever use the decocker is after the gun has been loaded and is going into the holster.

PX4
April 27, 2009, 05:03 PM
Don't see the big deal here. If you have the manual safety/decock version then after you switch it to safe and the hammer is decocked, just flip the safety off right away and it's in the same state as the decock only version.

curt.45
April 27, 2009, 05:48 PM
a few times I've found my P90 on safe and I didn't put it that was, must have rubbed up against something. kinda wish mine was a decock only.

B.N.Real
April 27, 2009, 06:19 PM
Money's smokin' tight right now but I feel really lucky to have found these two pistols at a price I could afford.

Just makes my smile get bigger everytime I think about my P95's doing doberman watch at the house.

Thanks for all your replies.