PDA

View Full Version : *Best GUN MOVIE, 1999* What was it?

Long Path
April 1, 2000, 02:15 PM
Rob, Dr Rob, George, Jffal, et al--

Help me out, here:

I found a quote by our own "Kodiac" (aka George Hill, some time back)from one year ago in which he said something to the extent of: "The Matrix will probably be best gun movie of the year..."

Question: Was he right?

If not, what was?

Other nominations?

Little help, guys? I'm sorry to say that the Oscars didn't have such a category. (Or should I say that I'm glad, because then I'd have to actually watch the Oscars...)

Anyone and everyone, gimme your picks, no matter how obscure. Please justify your answer.

--Long Path/Matt.

Don Gwinn
April 1, 2000, 02:16 PM
Matrix. I think . . . .

Destructo6
April 1, 2000, 03:04 PM
How about, "Saving Private Ryan"? Lots of nice vintage stuff and no glorification.

Mal H
April 1, 2000, 03:40 PM
Even before I opened the thread I was thinking "The Matrix".

Dan in GA
April 1, 2000, 03:42 PM
The Matrix, hands down. I never tire of watching this movie....Dan in GA.

Long Path
April 1, 2000, 04:42 PM
*Bzzzz* Thank you for playing!

No, Destructo6, Saving Private Ryan did *not* come out in 1999. That's why it won so many Oscars for 1998.

C'MON, People! Gimme some more titles! SURELY this isn't a sweep for The Matrix?!?

:)

Rob Pincus
April 1, 2000, 05:46 PM
hmmmmmm.... I am trying to think of somehting that stood out, but nothing really comes to mind. Matrix was a good movie.... Lemme think about this....

George Hill
April 1, 2000, 06:00 PM
The Matrix is clearly the winner for 1999.

Instead of trying to think of other contending gun movies for 1999 - can you even think of OTHER gun movies in 1999?

Three Kings is maybe a contender - it had some very interesting plays on balistics... and the hollywood preimere of the THUNDER FIVE. Gotta give it points for that.

The Phantom Menace had some gun content -
Read my weapons review of it at www.echostation.com (http://www.echostation.com) & look for an article called Guns of the Menace...

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh what the heck -

The Matrix wins - hands down.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." -Nixon

jeffelkins
April 1, 2000, 06:28 PM
The Matrix on DVD gets my vote. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it...

noodles
April 1, 2000, 06:32 PM
The Left Handed Gun with Paul Newman.........OOH I'm sorry wrong century.......aaahhh APRIL FOOL :D

Darthmaum
April 1, 2000, 07:37 PM
I'd hafta cast another vote for The Matrix. I absolutely love that scene where Neo and that chick mow all those security guys down...Man, I wish I had that many guns... :(

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

"Many's the men who've battled foe
many the number slain,
many the lads have fallen though
Scotland shall rise again."

Jeff Thomas
April 1, 2000, 08:29 PM
I thought 'Reindeer Games' also had some impressive armament.

motorep
April 1, 2000, 08:36 PM
No contest- The Matrix. "We need weapons. Lots of weapons".

Hard Ball
April 1, 2000, 10:04 PM
"Saving Private Ryan" All those splendid BARsm M1A1 thimpsons and Garands,

DC
April 1, 2000, 10:27 PM
Matrix

Now had "Private Ryan" been 1999...then Ryan, but, twarn't '99 guys

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Cougar
April 2, 2000, 06:42 AM
Gee, I really wouldn't know since I refuse to go to movies and buy into the spread of Hollywierd liberalism. I absolutely refuse to watch or rent any more of the Leathal Weapon series because of the blatant anti-gun bias.

Besides, Hollyweird is a suburb of La-la land and is in the state of Ca-ca.

Does anybody else think about this like I do?

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

Bruce in West Oz
April 2, 2000, 07:42 AM
Cougar:

Absolutely! They had the Director's Cut of "Lethal Weapon" here on cable last night. I watched the football instead. (That's Aussie Rules football = "real" football, not that "gridiron running holding and throwing the ball stuff" ;))

B

45King
April 2, 2000, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erick:
Well, it didn't have a gun in it, so I'll begin nominations for the Best Fighting / Mindset / Tactics film of 1999:
The 13th Warrior

I'll let this sit overnight & post the reasons in the AM.[/quote]

Erick, good choice, I second. I see you're a Michael Chricton (sp?-never can get his name right) fan too.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Dennis Olson
April 2, 2000, 09:35 AM
Even if it were just because BRASS ACTUALLY HIT THE GROUND AND THEY RELOADED FROM TIME TO TIME, it would have to be The Matrix.

BTW, wife says that they're going to make TWO sequels to it. Evidently, she heard it on one of those "infotainment" programs (like the nightly news perhaps?)

jeffer
April 2, 2000, 10:37 AM
Saving Ryan's privates. Woops wrong year and gun.

Joseph
April 2, 2000, 10:40 AM
Matrix! I've been trying to do that slow motion stuff as defensive training, but I keep falling on my a$$. :D

Gopher a 45
April 2, 2000, 03:32 PM
Big dork am I. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but in that "mowing down the security team" scene, I noticed that it looks like Ted, er Neo, is shooting (Skorpion?) machine pistols hell-for-leather, but the brass hitting the ground is clearly .223! I wouldn't want to fire such a piece one-handed, especially with one in each hand! With a ~4.5 inch barrel, the muzzle blast might be a little severe too.

Mal H
April 2, 2000, 04:05 PM
BTW, if you subscribe to HBO, they will be showing The Matrix several times in April starting on the 8th. This is your chance to record it (for your personal use only, of course - in case the SAG police are listening in) and replay the scenes in slo-mo.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited April 09, 2000).]

Tim Burke
April 4, 2000, 04:02 PM
Gopher A 45 notes that:

&lt; Neo, is shooting (Skorpion?) machine pistols hell-for-leather, but the brass hitting the ground is clearly .223 &gt;

I figured that was what Morpheus was refering to when he said that some of the Matrix's rules could be bent... or broken. That was one of the few gun movies I've watched where I wasn't reviewing it mentally for realism and technique. Given the premise, it didn't have to be real.

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html (http://rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html)

Lavan
April 4, 2000, 05:20 PM
.........MAGNOLIA............!!!!!

THE WHOLE CAST AND EVERYBODY CONNECTED
NEEDED SHOOTING.

Miss Demeanors
April 4, 2000, 05:47 PM
Matrix!! Darth, that was my favorite part too! I closed my eyes and wished for a buncha guns like him, but nothing happened :( Just imagine that! Like a huge pull out closet of nothing but racks of guns. WOW~ Well the alarm is about to go off now :D

------------------
Sandys' Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/il2/imconverted/il2/imconverted/Default.htm)
RKBA forums (http://pub2.ezboard.com/fpsychotalkfirearmsandrkba)
We are as one as we all are the same fighting for one cause -Metallica

DaHaMac
April 4, 2000, 08:54 PM
Matrix, just cause I want a roomful of guns like that. :)

DaHaMac

RHC
April 4, 2000, 09:09 PM
Did "the Replacement Killers" appear in the year 1999?

Johnny Got His Gun.1
April 4, 2000, 11:17 PM
Apoc handing Neo a handgun:

"Hope the Oracle gave you some good news."

Dr.Rob
April 5, 2000, 11:11 AM
Matrix for best guns and pleather in a leading role...

Fight Club was by far the most interesting film of 1999.. note Ed Norton's AR-10 speech and assorted other wierdness.. VERY violent very dark, very funny. and helena bonham carter never looked as .. interesting.

Not sure what year Ronin came out but that movie was excellent.

Dr.Rob

Long Path
April 5, 2000, 05:01 PM
Hmmm... wife and I wanted to see Fight Club (though not a gun movie, per say? Or maybe it is. I mean, heck, does anyone else here think of The Sound of Music when they see a Luger? :) ), but we were too busy at that time. Is it out on video, yet?

C'mon! Was 1999 such a dearth for good gun-scenes? More! More!

Jffal
April 9, 2000, 09:25 AM
Let's see - weapon related movies I saw in 1999 in the theater?

Thin Red Line (actually a holdover from 1998), King of Comedy (a Hong Kong comedy drama, not the Martin Scorsese film with Bobby D - the Hong Kong King was about an actor - Stephen Chow, who found his greatest success in "Jim Carrey" type humor - who literally becomes his roles - includes scenes that parody the balletic John Woo fiream battles that have become popular in recent years). Also, I saw The Corruptor (undercover Chinatown police thriller, starring Hong Kong action actor Chow Yun Fat - some gritty shoot-em-ups and chases plus Chow packs a second hideaway gun - action does have a realistic raggedly edited quality to it), The Matrix, eXistenZ (David Cronenberg's typically slimey take on Matrix style virtual reality, with the delectable Jennifer Jason Lee, genuine firearm mayhem and toggle operated autoloading guns made out of bone that discharge human teeth!), Star Wars: Phantom Menace, The Sixth Sense (an irresponsibly used firearm is tragically essential for getting the story moving), The 13th Warrior, The Messenger: Joan of Arc (Luc Besson's muddled interpretation does offer some inventive seige weapons and an impressive, if badly miscast, performance by stringbean Milla Jovovich - Besson's earlier La Femme Nikita and Leon/The Professional were superior to this medieval mess), Dogma (comedic fantasy wherein renegade and fallen angels pack heat), Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton's beautiful ode to Hammer and Italian horror films - lots of discharged muskets and showstopping cutlery usage), The Bone Collector (se7en and Silence of the Lambs styled police vs serial killer with Denzel Washington - who proves how dangerous a paralyzed man can be - and the wonderfully whacky knife loving Angelina Jolie - but she uses a handgun here), Princess Mononoke (Hayao Miyazaki's animated Japanese epic fantasy about humankind at war with itself and the harsh environment - preindustrial weapon usage as well as the effectiveness of pitting a variety of muskets and explosives against supernatural beings), The World is Not Enough (respectable amount of gun action in the latest Bond epic).

Movie that demonstrated the importance of the warrior mentality by its omission - Blair Witch Project (as pro-sheeple as you could want, with nonself-reliant cannon fodder teens who hysterically do not resist the doom that comes for them on an ill prepared trip - they neither carry or improvise weapons to strike back with - they had foolishly walked into the woods under the impression that IT COULDN'T HAPPEN TO THEM).
Over and out.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jffal (edited April 09, 2000).]

MrBlonde
April 9, 2000, 01:14 PM
It was definetly The Matrix. Exept for the hammer cocking sound for the Glocks at the beggining, and the .223 brass comming out of the .380 Vz61"Scorpion". Saving Private Ryan was 1998. Some guy said that the was the best "Gun" movie of 1999. There wasnt much of a 2nd place, there werent too many good "gun" movies last year, hoping there will be some this year though.

Outlaw1
April 9, 2000, 02:22 PM
One that won The History Channel's award for most historically accurate film was "Ride with the Devil".
Unfortunately, not many people got to see this film because someone somewhere didn't want the sheeple to see some of the truth and facts of the so-called "Civil War".
Clips that were shown on The History Channel showed all the correct guns for the era, Confederate built guns with lots of brass, captured Union guns were the Colts and Remingtons, even some Colt Walkers and Dragoons that were supposed to be hand-me-downs left over from the war with Mexico.
They even showed some loading close-ups!

The Mini-gun scene in The Matrix was awesome, with all the brass AND links raining down from the helecopter! ;)