PDA

View Full Version : Maverick 88-no primer strikes

Woolval
April 23, 2009, 07:18 AM
I'm a newbie here...

My Maverick 88 is not reliable. I am getting about 2 "no primer strikes" out of a box of 25 rounds. I've cleaned the bolt and trigger assembly thoroughly... and I mean THOROUGHLY!! I took the trigger assembly completely apart, and anyone who has done this knows how much fun it is getting it back together. But, I did get it together and it is working properly. (if anyone has trouble with the trigger I can offer tips I found...)

The bolt is also clean. I took it apart as far as I could and it is clean and lubed up, ready to go.

Is it possible I'm not racking the pump firmly enough? Would this cause my trouble? I'm thinking maybe a "weak" racking might not cock the trigger fully, maybe causing a light strike on the primer.

Any input and help is greatly appreciated. I've signed up for a Bushido Tactical Defensive Shotgun course on May 9 in Miami and the course will be much more enjoyable if my shotgun works! Especially since we'll be firing around 400 rounds...

Then again, maybe I should trade it in and get a different shotgun. Gee, that would just be terrible!! Don't tell my wife...

Val
Ocala, Fl

oneounceload
April 23, 2009, 07:25 AM
Have you tried various brands of ammo and had the same result?

Have you had a friend try it to see if he gets the same result?

If it is still giving you fits, then maybe a smith needs to take a look at it.

Since you're in Ocala also, you might want to have it checked out by Art Lawson - older gunsmith who works on everything - he's off of 17th by the new overpass and you'll find him in the white pages.

apr1775
April 23, 2009, 07:30 AM
Have you tried different boxes or brands of ammo? You may have had a partially bad box. Look at primers on the fired cases; are they nicely dimpled by the firing pin or very shallow? Don't short stroke it; that Maverick is a tough piece of hardware, cycle that action with authority. If problems still persist, contact Mossberg/Maverick and they should be able to help.

Woolval
April 23, 2009, 07:42 AM
apr1775, it could be that I am short stroking it. I did look at each round that didn't fire and there is no dimple on the primer. I put these rounds back in, rack it firmly and they fired. This ammo was brand new, purchase two days earlier at Wal Mart. (at least there is still shotgun ammo available!)

oneounceload, my friend fired 5 rounds without any issues... maybe it is me! Because it seems to happen inconsistently I am thinking I'm not racking it with enough authority. Since I live in Ocala, I must drive out to the forest range to test it (a 50 minute drive). Thanks for the lead on a good, local gunsmith. I did not know who to take it to here. I'll look up Art Lawson and give him a call. And since you mention the new overpass I know this info is current!

Thanks to all...
Val

hogdogs
April 23, 2009, 07:46 AM
Wool, We had a member with the same situation... gimme a few to locate his fix... It required a bit of filing...
Brent

hogdogs
April 23, 2009, 07:55 AM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349570
If this seems to be your problem and possible fix, I suggest you inquire of him and/or contact Mossberg... It is a situation if repeated is in need of a recall IMHO...
Brent

oneounceload
April 23, 2009, 08:26 AM
Woolval - if you're shooting standard target loads, there is a gun club outside of Dunnellon that has trap, skeet, 5-stand. Called Robinson Ranch they're closed on Mondays and Fridays. Can't shoot slugs - not enough clearance, but loads up to 7-1/2 are ok...

Woolval
April 23, 2009, 09:43 AM
All,

I contacted Maverick and got a favorable reply. They said to send them the trigger assembly and they would work on it at no charge. They even offered to expedite it back to me so I would have it in time for my Defensive Shotgun class on May 9. I consider that some pretty good support!

I may go to the forest range one more time after another cleaning and lubing. I'm thinking it might be that I was not racking it with enough authority...

Hogdogs, I read over the link you provided. I may print out Willie D's resolution and include it when I send the trigger back to Maverick. Maybe this is something they are aware of and will address it when they have it on their bench.

Thanks again. Someday this Mav88 might be reliable. But it isn't there yet...

Val

apr1775
April 24, 2009, 07:36 AM
Sounds to me like you're short stroking it. I can understand you may want to take it easy on your new gun, but don't worry about it. That gun is tough. It's basically the same gun as the Mossberg 500 which the military uses. I saw some abused ones in the Navy that still worked just fine. Start developing a habit of racking the slide firmly. Go try another box of ammo and see how it goes. If it still fails to fire; we can try a few other things including sending in the trigger parts group.

sectshun8
April 24, 2009, 03:51 PM
Interesting Woolval, can't wait to see how it gets back to you and if they comment on the details you sent them.